Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #61

Does anyone who got to the ice caverns know how to free the ghost located in the lost city?
If you hadent gotten there yet, then plz dont reply! I reeealy need help with that and the walkthrough isnt helping me!!! :wallbash:

Old 17-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #62
Entrante

The ghost is freed when breaking the bond of the Guardian, but there is no reason for freeing him, there is for breaking the bond, which haves the effect of freeing him. It is part of the story the way of doing that, the mage at Killorn Keep will help you with that.
Entrante is offline                         Send a private message to Entrante
Old 18-06-2006, 11:27 PM   #63
Noble Odin

Ultima Underworld II rules!
I have so much beautiful memories about this game!
Everyone should play it k:

Old 26-06-2006, 02:38 AM   #64
mactheknife

Ultima Underworld 2, what a great game! I've been longing to play this game again, for over ten years, finally found it for download here, thanks abandonia, you've got one of the best abandonware sites on the web, i know I've been to most of them looking for this game!

However I have a problem. I cannot seem to get the music in the game to work? The only way I could get the digitised sound itself to work was to select "pc speaker" as my synth source, and my sound blaster as the digital source, only problem is, I don't have a pc speaker inside my pc, ahhh!

Is there anyone out there, who knows of a way of getting the music to work? I've listened to the midi files, and they are awesome! It would be fantastic to have this great music working in the game. Can anyone help me please?
mactheknife is offline                         Send a private message to mactheknife
Old 26-06-2006, 07:18 AM   #65
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Are you playing the game in DosBox? There sound and music should work without any problems.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 28-06-2006, 01:11 AM   #66
mactheknife

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scatty @ Jun 26 2006, 08:18 AM) [snapback]239676[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Are you playing the game in DosBox? There sound and music should work without any problems.
[/b]
I don't need to use Dosbox, as I run the game on an old 486 pc I have sitting around, it's great for retro games, you can pick them for next to nothing. We abandonware fans should all get one, it makes life so much easier, just fit a cd-rom drive, sound card, and you're away!

Anyhow, when I try to setup the game on this accient pc, it says in the install program, that the sound files are not installed, even though I know they are. The game runs very well on my newer computer an AMD-K6 II 450mHz, 56Mb ram, I get the sound, ie the Avatar walking around fighting stuff, and opening doors, but I can't get the music to work?

The AMD has a soundblaster emulator, so I thought that was the problem, but the 486 has a true Creative SB16, but the sound does'nt work at all, I get a message, saying "sound initialization failed" or something similar, can you help?
mactheknife is offline                         Send a private message to mactheknife
Old 28-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #67
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

how can you not have the speaker???? I thought all computer have them, if nothing else they are the ones that let you know what kind of error BIOS has or to give a beep when you turn on the computer just to let you know everything is ok in BIOS.

Well i will try and guess but you are running the game in DOS, right? because if you are in windows (anykind) when you run it you can't set it up because they might block the IRQ needed for sound.

so...

1. make sure you have SB properly installed in DOS.
2. If you have it installed check it's parameters (IRQ, DMA...).
3. when in sound setup use the manual setting up and type or choose the parameters. Note that often cards have a manula where you can see which IRQ can be used. some cards use different ones for music (MIDI) and for sound files.

I still have it installed on PC. stopped playing the game a year ago. i don't remember what it was this time. i came quite far in it, but then i stopped. after a while i started Arx Fatalis. better graphics and not so much strange levels. i prefered the UW1 more then second one. it is much less confusing.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 28-06-2006, 08:57 AM   #68
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Old sound cards also often have jumpers to set Plug&Play mode, the IRQ and such by hand. You might want to disable Plug&Play mode of the card, I know it gave me problems with one I had.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #69
Scatty
Treasure hunter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mactheknife @ Jun 28 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]240099[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I don't need to use Dosbox, as I run the game on an old 486 pc I have sitting around, it's great for retro games, you can pick them for next to nothing. We abandonware fans should all get one, it makes life so much easier, just fit a cd-rom drive, sound card, and you're away!

Anyhow, when I try to setup the game on this accient pc, it says in the install program, that the sound files are not installed, even though I know they are. The game runs very well on my newer computer an AMD-K6 II 450mHz, 56Mb ram, I get the sound, ie the Avatar walking around fighting stuff, and opening doors, but I can't get the music to work?

The AMD has a soundblaster emulator, so I thought that was the problem, but the 486 has a true Creative SB16, but the sound does'nt work at all, I get a message, saying "sound initialization failed" or something similar, can you help?
[/b]
It's simply. First you choose the soundcard for music and sound in the install.exe and save it. Ignore if it says anything about a card not detected or similar. After that, you need to run the small program that's located in the same folder called uwsound.exe. If you don't have it for whatever reason, PM me and I can send it to you through email.
In it you can see if the sound and speech are detected. If one of them isn't, you can choose the fitting number for menu and manually change the adresses. For me in DosBox it's by default after the game is installed IRQ 5 by which the speech isn't detected, so I changed it to IRQ 7 and it worked. I suppose you have same or similar values set by your soundcard's driver, so you might need to change the IRQ like I did.

After you change the values and the detection works for both sound and speech, choose 3. Exit and Save and your problems should be solved and the game fully playable. Good luck.

Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 18-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #70
robino

Hi All ! What a great site.

Does anyone know if the UU2 download available from this site is the patched version or the buggy version where the servants go on strike ?

I remember playing this game 10 or more years ago and I got stuck because of that bug I think - I dont want to get stuck again !!!!

Many Thanks.