Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
CMA Death Adder

Greetings.

The InterSound MDO. That's a sound board we never really hear about, isn't it? So far I think I've only seen support for this hardware written into two games: No Exit and Asterix: Operation Getafix. I would like to own one of these sound boards, if for no reason other than morbid curiousity. It would be nice to hear what those two games sound like when used with this device, and record the output and host it online so others may know the sound without having to find and acquire the hardware.

I've found only one weblink so far that even mentions the InterSound MDO, and it is in the French language:

http://jeanmarc.gossart.online.fr/eleq_intersound.php

I figure, since there's so many visitors to this website from Europe (the only place this hardware seems to have been released), possibly someone could help me locate more information (docs, pictures, etc.) on the InterSound MDO, or perhaps help me acquire one for my own use.

It's worth a try, anyway.
CMA Death Adder is offline                         Send a private message to CMA Death Adder
Old 01-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Chris
Abandonia Homie

I looked up your link and if I understood the site correctly there's another device that is similar to the InterSound MDO: the Disney SoundSource. Using the printer port, this sound device outputs digital sound only. But the best about the Soundsource: It is emulated by DOSBox!

However, I've found another game supporting the Intersound MDO.

Geisha

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 01-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #3
CMA Death Adder

Geisha, too, is a Coktel Vision / Tomahawk game. Seems all games that support the InterSound MDO are from Coktel. I guess, because of this, the device would be even more difficult to find due to what I'd think would be a very limited production run. I'll keep my eyes open for one, anyway... always the avid collector, I be.
CMA Death Adder is offline                         Send a private message to CMA Death Adder
Old 21-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
Neville
Super Freak

From what I've been able to gather around the web, it seems that it was a variant of the Covox Speech Thing marketed by Coktel Vision. A bunch of their games, including "Fascination", support it, and their manuals also advertise it.

As for the CST, it was a crude sound device developed in the late 80s, before soundcards in PCs became common. It plugged to the printer port and a bunch of games support it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covox_Speech_Thing
Neville is offline                         Send a private message to Neville
Old 28-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
Geisha, too, is a Coktel Vision / Tomahawk game. Seems all games that support the InterSound MDO are from Coktel. I guess, because of this, the device would be even more difficult to find due to what I'd think would be a very limited production run. I'll keep my eyes open for one, anyway... always the avid collector, I be.
You're right with that. Here's the list of games which supported it I could find on Mobygames:
Intersound MDO
And a brief mention of it in this article:
SID and DOS
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty