Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-12-2005, 03:53 AM   #51
omg
Games Master

i like graphics, never played ascii games back in the day so there is no nostalgia value in it for me.
well i was just doing really well and then it generated an unescable level again...
am i just cursed or does it do that often?
im really annoyed actually, had managed to score an expensive camera and was having fun blinding things, then boom, unescapeable level generated.. and i had the mapping scroll so the map was able to confirm for me that there was no way ou. there was a room with the stairs down in it but it was unacsessable.
i just know im going to try again though...

edit: well tried again. gened up a mage. got to level 3 and it was just a room. no corridoors.... is this a problem with nethacks random generation thing or just vultures eye ? net hack veterens please respond ...
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 13-12-2005, 05:19 AM   #52
MrBackAlleySka
Hero Gamer

Actually, there are no "non-escapeable" rooms, you have to do s, run around doing s 20 times, then step, then s 20 more times, then step, if you have to. A LOT of times, the doors or "hallways" are invisible.
MrBackAlleySka is offline                         Send a private message to MrBackAlleySka
Old 13-12-2005, 05:29 AM   #53
Blank_box
Forum hobbit

I also have faced this situation... The system is truely random. I have wasted more than 10 times creating, playing then found that there is no where to wander more... Some time I just start game in a room with stair up, no way to go any further. I don't know how to escape out of that box (with my fool wit) but I will try later.

But this game is hooked. :w00t: Even have to play it again and again, I can do so.

I love it k:
Blank_box is offline                         Send a private message to Blank_box
Old 13-12-2005, 05:32 AM   #54
omg
Games Master

cool. will try that next time i go down a level and im in a room with no visable escape.. was beginning to think there was a fault in the games randomizer. just got down to level 6 with a wizard, starved to death tho ...
edit:
cool tried the s thing as level one seemed unescapable. found a doorway, fell down a trapdoor into the memory vault, gaurd told me to drop my gold... couldent find a command to drop gold, then the swine killed me...
damn this game is annoying but addictive.
Old 13-12-2005, 07:13 AM   #55

Oh great, a game without true graphics or sound, with the game mechanics reminiscent of 10 000 versions of pong stacked on top of each other. I can see why this gets a 5 out of 5. And on top of that, it's basically endless.

Go play some ultima underworld instead.

Old 13-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #56
Blank_box
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by omg@Dec 13 2005, 06:32 AM
damn this game is annoying but addictive.
Good words OMG, Annoying but addictive... I have tired all class all style playing (all of them are dead though) .

In my view, Tourist is the most funniest class for me, imagine that you are tourist adventuring in deadly dungeon with your best digital camera... k: cool!!
Blank_box is offline                         Send a private message to Blank_box
Old 13-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #57
Wael
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Dec 13 2005, 08:13 AM
**Oh great, a game without true graphics or sound***, with the game mechanics reminiscent of 10 000 versions of pong stacked on top of each other. I can see why this gets a 5 out of 5. And on top of that, it's basically endless.

Go play some ultima underworld instead.
tsk tsk... where do these people spawn from
Wael is offline                         Send a private message to Wael
Old 13-12-2005, 03:48 PM   #58
omg
Games Master

innit. i though game mechanics were a completley seperate thing to graphics, like i think with the endless possibilities in nethack there may be a level where you have to rebound a ball ,, havnt seen it yet though.
also he clearly hasnt checked out vultures eye if he is that desperate for graphics.
Old 13-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #59

Yeah, kids these days. Put 'em in front of a text adventure and they go into instant graphics withdrawal. :bleh:
The point, oh easily flustered one, is that this game is actually unique each time, where Ultima Underworld's character creation was rigged and its levels were always the same. ASCII graphics require imagination (something sorely lacking in more than players these days), which Ultima Underworld's shoddy graphics killed the possibility of without providing anything exactly inspiring to make up for it. Nethack may be basically endless (I know I'm never going to manage to win it), but it gives you a lot more memorable events than "Yeah, I totally killed that orc" or "Aw man, the minotaur got me." Y'all come back when you can tell me about the elven monk who got turned into a mind flayer and had to figure out some way to avoid eating brains in NWN 2, okay?

Old 13-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #60
omg
Games Master

you do get some absalutely crazy situations in this game. it p00ns. is actually the first thing that has dragged me away from my x box for a while. i had given up on pc gaming, mainly to clear room on my pc for Usefull things, but alas nethack (ok admitidally with vultures eye im not that hardcore) has got me chewing up hours gaming on my pc.
it kicks the behind man k: