Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-12-2005, 08:30 AM   #111
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Its a fun game, im terrible at expanding though, thats why I win on impossible with Bulrathis by ground combat. Also once the tech gets good I build a large repulsor ship which has the best beam weapons and some stream weapons, repulsor, battle scanner and high-energy focus as specials, and should have the best engines and ECM.

The stream weapons and repulsor can destroy hordes of little ships and the high energy focus can take the biggest ships out from far away, also makes great planet defenders against bombers by parking infront of the planet.

Also a great tactic when you dont have good tech is to let a race who use death spores to attack a planet which has lots of factories, the pop will all die but all the factories remain, then wait until they colonise it, then go and use ground forces to attack and reclaim, you will get lots of nice tech back and you can repeat the process.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 11-12-2005, 05:29 AM   #112
laiocfar
NOD Commander

The big problem of game its that they kill me before i can denvelope a good tech
Old 25-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #113
kjk

Great old classic!

Has anyone found a way to play this on Windows ME?

Old 25-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #114
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by kjk@Jan 25 2006, 02:35 AM
Great old classic!

Has anyone found a way to play this on Windows ME?
Have you tried dosbox? It is very easy to install and run (on a Win98SE machine, by a university graduate, YMMV).
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 27-01-2006, 01:01 AM   #115
kjk

I remember trying to run that a while ago and it kept closing down every time I ran it. I will give it another shot.
I can run other DOS games OK on my computer without any problems. Just not the ones that need EMS.

Old 30-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #116
kjk

I get a 'Fatal signal:Segmentation fault (SDL parachute deployed)

Any sugestions???

Old 31-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #117
kjk

Don't worry, driver problem.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:52 AM   #118
ShadowMarth

Thinking of MoO makes me salivate. It was one of my first games as a kid, even though I'm a bit young for it to be. I got it along with X-Com (Another amazing game), however this game won't work on Window's 2000 or, for me at least, XP. I'm having some difficulty getting it going on Dosbox as well. I even have the CD. I mount my main HDD, and use the files there, but then it can't detect the CD... So, any suggestions?
ShadowMarth is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowMarth
Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #119
Geordy
Forum hobbit

@Shadow:Write
Quote:
mount d: <cd-drive>:/ -t cdrom
into the autoexec section of the dosbox.conf.

@MoO: Yeah I still have it on my HD. I recall me taking always those damn humans being experts at diplomacy. This way I had relatively less problems with other races teaming up on me. Important: dont install an alliance to one of the other races - NAP is just fine to not being dragged into wars you dont want.

Choosing Psilons is for sissies! On the other hand they are worthy opponents.

For fleet layouts: I found ion/neutron stream projectors on three different ships highly effective... Those nice little weapons plus the black hole generator are absolutley dominating over the other weapons.

Last edited by arete; 13-10-2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: smiley
Geordy is offline                         Send a private message to Geordy
Old 06-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #120
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Geordy@Feb 6 2006, 02:05 PM
@Shadow:Write
Quote:
mount d: <cd-drive>:/ -t cdrom
into the autoexec section of the dosbox.conf.

@MoO: Yeah I still have it on my HD. I recall me taking always those damn humans being experts at diplomacy. This way I had relatively less problems with other races teaming up on me. Important: dont install an alliance to one of the other races - NAP is just fine to not being dragged into wars you dont want.

Choosing Psilons is for sissies! On the other hand they are worthy opponents.

For fleet layouts: I found ion/neutron stream projectors on three different ships highly effective... :whistle: Those nice little weapons plus the black hole generator are absolutley dominating over the other weapons.
I have a fondness for the Klackons, the Darloks, and the Sakkras. The Klackon are great for their production bonus, even if their poor propulsion research gets you down. The Darloks get others to do their research for them. Finally, the Sakkras are better at ground combat than the Bulrathi. This is counter-intuitve, but it works like this: although the Bulrathis get a 25% bonus in ground combat, the Sakkras breed twice as fast, so at the higher tech levels, the Sakkras can just send 25% of the population from a couple of worlds to a target, and if any casualties are inflicted each turn, they will eventually succeed. The Bulrathis have to build up their numbers in between attacks, but the sakkras (with eco spending) stay at max pop. The Sakkra planetology rating means that their planets are likely to be highly populated, and they can dump colonists
on a star system almost as fast as you can bring up additional attackers.

I have a fondness for huge ships with battle scanners, autorepair, and high energy foci. At the lower tech levels, they are armed with a mix of streaming weapons, megabolt cannon (for precision) and something more destructive than megabolt cannon (if I have something), plus something for taking out ground bases.
Should the game slog on long enough for me to get maulers, that is all I use, as scouring planets clean of disagreeable republicans (who formed it without me), is my primary goal and maulers are dual use, even if they are a waste on small and medium craft.

If I get stellar converters, there is the temptation to leave out the high energy focus, but stellar cobverters are useless against maxed out shielding.

Black hole generators can be a help if one of the computer players has a stack of 32000 warships, but it is easier, and takes less ships to destroy the race than those 32000 ships.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell