Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Chilledfish

Default A Sierra game and an old RPG

Hi!
The first one should be easy, but I can't for the life of me find it. Mind you that I was able to find almost any other obscure 20 year old game I was trying to find.
It was a simple adventure game with VGA graphics. There was something with a beach and kissing. I think it was controlled with text instructions. The executable had sierra in it I think.

The second one is a really obscure one. It is an RPG with Elves and everything. It had an elaborate editor with all the toolset. It was also VGA graphics I think. It could even been an RPG maker for all I know. I was too young and Israeli to understand anything about it, but when I think about it know, it looks awesome in my mind. I know the description isn't much, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: The second one was top down with a grid (either invisible or visible). The characters were about a square centimeter. It kinda looks like Ultima V.

Last edited by Chilledfish; 28-01-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Chilledfish is offline                         Send a private message to Chilledfish
Old 28-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Doink
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilledfish View Post
Hi!
The first one should be easy, but I can't for the life of me find it. Mind you that I was able to find almost any other obscure 20 year old game I was trying to find.
It was a simple adventure game with VGA graphics. There was something with a beach and kissing. I think it was controlled with text instructions. The executable had sierra in it I think.

The second one is a really obscure one. It is an RPG with Elves and everything. It had an elaborate editor with all the toolset. It was also VGA graphics I think. It could even been an RPG maker for all I know. I was too young and Israeli to understand anything about it, but when I think about it know, it looks awesome in my mind. I know the description isn't much, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: The second one was top down with a grid (either invisible or visible). The characters were about a square centimeter. It kinda looks like Ultima V.
The first one is probably something in the Leisure Suit Larry series
maybe:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/12...torals%21.html

Not sure about the second
Old 28-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Chilledfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doink View Post
The first one is probably something in the Leisure Suit Larry series
maybe:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/12...torals%21.html

Not sure about the second
All this time when searching, I skipped Larry every time because I was sure it wasn't it. But now when I look at it, it kinda looks like it is it.
Thanks!
Chilledfish is offline                         Send a private message to Chilledfish
Old 28-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
kryt3n
Forum hobbit

The first game could also be Codename - ICEMAN, going by the limited description, but I guess the Larry series seems a better match overall.
kryt3n is offline                         Send a private message to kryt3n
Old 29-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilledfish View Post

Check out the Exile series by Spiderweb Software, the description seems like it might be it. Particularly the Blades of Exile which is an RPG construction set with pre-made sample scenarios.

If this is not it, could you remember if the platform you played this on was DOS or Windows. Also, what year, approximately at least, did you play this one in?

[On a general note, wouldn't it be more convenient if each thread was only about one game? I'm not sure if the rules state that but other forums with similar game identification sections usually follow the "one thread - one game" rule.]
Old 30-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

I know only two wide-spreaded RPG editors (except famous RPG Maker, of course). First is Blades of Exile, mentioned above, and second is Bard's Tale Construction set...

Hmm, thinking about it, Goldboxes has it's own construction set too... Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures is it!
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
Chilledfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
I know only two wide-spreaded RPG editors (except famous RPG Maker, of course). First is Blades of Exile, mentioned above, and second is Bard's Tale Construction set...

Hmm, thinking about it, Goldboxes has it's own construction set too... Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures is it!
It was neither, but thanks. This RPG was top down with sprites. It is of the same genre of exile, but it isn't it. I'm not sure it was marketed as an editor, only that it had this option in it. I'm not even sure it was widespread. I had to be about 9 or 10 when I played it, so it can't have been made later than 96'.
It's not a big deal. It would be cool to play it again, but I have already identified the vast majority of games that I played as a boy, so it is an itch more than a need.

About the Sierra game, it wasn't Larry, and I'm not sure about the other one. I tried it, but it doesn't ring any bell.

Anyway, thanks for everyone who replied.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If it's a Sierra game, with text input, it will likely be running either on the AGI or SCI engine
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/...nterpreter-agi
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/...nterpreter-sci

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Chilledfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
If it's a Sierra game, with text input, it will likely be running either on the AGI or SCI engine
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/...nterpreter-agi
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/...nterpreter-sci
Okay thanks. I was wondering what SCI meant in their games for a long time. I vaguely remember something about SCI in a file name there, so it must be SCI.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Among the obscure RPG games with sprites, I remember that we have WarWizard on the site.