Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Abandonia Case Files
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #11
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Aw. zirkoni, you are too fast for me! I mentioned to said the same...

Also, yoga, if you can see colorful icons on exe, it means that icons are embedded here->files are for Windows. So you could not try Dosbox right from the start.
Old 25-08-2017, 01:24 AM   #12
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
OK.
I tried to install Asghan, no result.
I used Daemon tools and when i pressed on _setup.exe, nothing happened.
I installed NGlide, no result.

Then i converted file asghan.nrg in asghan.iso using Izarc.
Then i created new directory in C, named game.
Then i copy/paste asghan.iso file in directory game in hdd C.

Then i started Dosbox, namely:

Z:>mount c c:\ Enter
answer: Z:>
I wrote
Z:>C: press Enter
answer
C:>
I wrote
C:>imgmount e c:>game\asghan.iso -t iso Enter
answer
again i made some change
C:>imgmount e c:>asghan.iso -t iso Enter
answer
Game not started.

Can You, dear mates, advice me?

Thank You

PC:I do have DWD.
I have only file asghan.nrg about 630 MB and some small file readme.txt (not sure).

Please, do not act after above text.
After started command DIR, i discovered that file asghan.iso is 1 KB only!!
So, mates, wait me.
Excuse me.

10 minutes later:
I recovered file asghan.iso in directory game to original value of about 630 MB and repeated execution in DosBox:

C:>imgmount e c:>game\asghan.iso -t iso Enter
answer
Could not load image file: c:\game\asghan.iso
MSCDEX: failure:Invalid file or unable to open

Then i give up.
Rats!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
It's a Windows game and I'm pretty sure the installer is a Windows executable as well. So, don't use DOSBox.

_setup.exe seems like an odd name for an installer (does it really have the underscore _ ?). Maybe there's another file that is the actual installer?

Can IZArc really convert an nrg image to iso? I doubt it. That's why you can't even mount the iso-image in DOSBox, the iso-image is corrupted.

I'm surprised that works (the > instead of a \ ). You should do it like this:
imgmount d c:\game\asghan.iso -t cdrom
But as I said because this is a Windows game using DOSBox does not help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post

Dear Zirconi,

Thank You for Yr help.

Game was created 1999.

Pls see attachment.
File is really _setup.exe
No other installers.

imgmount d c:\game\asghan.iso -t cdrom
I try it. Same result.

Yes, i think the iso-image is corrupted.

Have You got some new ideas/ways to install that nice game?

Thank You very much in advance.

crying yoga
Dear Yoga.

I own this game in physical form (CD).

It may be that the game is incompatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10. This is what happened to me when trying to install and play Largo Winch, Final Fantasy VIII, etc. on Windows 7.

There are 2 ways around this problem:

01) Use the Virtual Machine. I used Oracle VM VirtualBox (free);

02) Installing Windows XP on another HDD and simply launch the Boot Menu at the beginning of the (re)boot of the PC to select which HDD should start to boot. If you install Windows XP on a different partition, but on the same HDD, you should install a program that serves as a Boot Menu. I even installed the Acronis program, but I forgot its name (Windows XP, Windows 98SE, Windows 95 on the same HDD).

PS:

I think Windows 7, perhaps from Business and Ultimate editions, has a “Virtual Machine” called Windows XP Mode. I did not like it as it looks very simple and poor.

I think Oracle Virtual Machine is much better, but I personally prefer to use multi-boot.

Last edited by Mystvan; 25-08-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Old 25-08-2017, 03:53 AM   #13
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post
Dear Yoga.

I own this game in physical form (CD).

It may be that the game is incompatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10. This is what happened to me when trying to install and play Largo Winch, Final Fantasy VIII, etc. on Windows 7.

There are 2 ways around this problem:

01) Use the Virtual Machine. I used Oracle VM VirtualBox (free);

02) Installing Windows XP on another HDD and simply launch the Boot Menu at the beginning of the (re)boot of the PC to select which HDD should start to boot. If you install Windows XP on a different partition, but on the same HDD, you should install a program that serves as a Boot Menu. I even installed the Acronis program, but I forgot its name (Windows XP, Windows 98SE, Windows 95 on the same HDD).

PS:

I think Windows 7, perhaps from Business and Ultimate editions, has a “Virtual Machine” called Windows XP Mode. I did not like it as it looks very simple and poor.

I think Oracle Virtual Machine is much better, but I personally prefer to use multi-boot.
Also there is MAGICISO. I don't know if it will convert it. However it converts a few file formats in addition. Not sure about NRG. You don't need to pay to convert even in the trial one.
tienkhoanguyen is offline                         Send a private message to tienkhoanguyen
Old 27-08-2017, 01:52 AM   #14
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienkhoanguyen View Post
Also there is MAGICISO. I don't know if it will convert it. However it converts a few file formats in addition. Not sure about NRG. You don't need to pay to convert even in the trial one.
Dear Captien Bible. In my humble opinion, I do not believe the problem is in the format of the disc image and / or corrupted file of the game. From my experience, I believe the problem is the incompatibility of the game with the Operational System.

Thus, no matter what the format, the game will never be installed and / or run on the Operating System. Just as you will never be able to install The Witcher on Windows 95.

Just as you use DOSBox as an emulator to play old games, you need to use Virtual Machine to install old Operating Systems (VM compatible) to run old Windows games.

The examples:

When I tried to run the Wing Commander: Privateer game on Windows 98 SE, the Operating System rebooted abruptly;

• I could not install the Largo Winch on Windows 7, but I was able to install it on Windows XP (using dual-boot);

• I could not install the Final Fantasy VIII game on Windows 7, but I will probably be able to install it on Windows XP (using dual-boot);

• My brother could not install Drakensang on Windows 8.1, but I was able to install it on Windows 7.

Maybe I am wrong, but at least my method worked for me.
Old 27-08-2017, 06:26 AM   #15
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Quote:
Dear Captien Bible. In my humble opinion, I do not believe the problem is in the format of the disc image and / or corrupted file of the game. From my experience, I believe the problem is the incompatibility of the game with the Operational System.

Thus, no matter what the format, the game will never be installed and / or run on the Operating System. Just as you will never be able to install The Witcher on Windows 95.

Just as you use DOSBox as an emulator to play old games, you need to use Virtual Machine to install old Operating Systems (VM compatible) to run old Windows games.

The examples:

When I tried to run the Wing Commander: Privateer game on Windows 98 SE, the Operating System rebooted abruptly;

• I could not install the Largo Winch on Windows 7, but I was able to install it on Windows XP (using dual-boot);

• I could not install the Final Fantasy VIII game on Windows 7, but I will probably be able to install it on Windows XP (using dual-boot);

• My brother could not install Drakensang on Windows 8.1, but I was able to install it on Windows 7.

Maybe I am wrong, but at least my method worked for me.
Dear Mystvan,

That could be the case. If it does not work in DOSBox then it might work in one of the other different operating systems like you suggested. The question is what is that other system: DOSBox/MSDOS is ruled out. So there is left: Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98/98SE, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10. Then again maybe it is for Mac or even Linux or something else. Did I miss anything?

I think you have the right answer Mystvan. For instance I work primarily in DOS while my sister was trained professionally in Windows.
tienkhoanguyen is offline                         Send a private message to tienkhoanguyen
Old 27-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #16
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienkhoanguyen View Post
Dear Mystvan,

That could be the case. If it does not work in DOSBox then it might work in one of the other different operating systems like you suggested. The question is what is that other system: DOSBox/MSDOS is ruled out. So there is left: Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98/98SE, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10. Then again maybe it is for Mac or even Linux or something else. Did I miss anything?

I think you have the right answer Mystvan. For instance I work primarily in DOS while my sister was trained professionally in Windows.
Dear Captien Bible , I forgot to mention that even using dual-boot and / or Virtual Machine has its flaws:

01) In the case of Virtual Machine, it must have minimum requirement as Operating System. It is not guaranteed that the Virtual Machine will accept the installation of older Operating Systems. Thus, it is a software compatibility problem.

02) In the case of dual-boot (and multi-boot), the hardware may not accept the installation of older Operating Systems. My HP Desktop supported Windows XP while my Dell Desktop did not accept the installation of Windows XP and caused Blue Screen of Death (BDOS). Thus, it is a hardware compatibility problem.

The solution of the 1st case is to find a Virtual Machine that accepts older Operating Systems. That is only if it is possible to find such a Virtual Machine.

The solution of the 2nd case is to find hardware that accepts Windows XP. In other words, the PC can not be neither very recent nor very old.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:05 AM   #17
tienkhoanguyen
[BANNED]

Quote:
Dear Captien Bible , I forgot to mention that even using dual-boot and / or Virtual Machine has its flaws:

01) In the case of Virtual Machine, it must have minimum requirement as Operating System. It is not guaranteed that the Virtual Machine will accept the installation of older Operating Systems. Thus, it is a software compatibility problem.

02) In the case of dual-boot (and multi-boot), the hardware may not accept the installation of older Operating Systems. My HP Desktop supported Windows XP while my Dell Desktop did not accept the installation of Windows XP and caused Blue Screen of Death (BDOS). Thus, it is a hardware compatibility problem.

The solution of the 1st case is to find a Virtual Machine that accepts older Operating Systems. That is only if it is possible to find such a Virtual Machine.

The solution of the 2nd case is to find hardware that accepts Windows XP. In other words, the PC can not be neither very recent nor very old.
Dear Mystvan,

The only thing I know about the dragons whether game or not is that the more red they are the more fiery they are! Also, if you drink spirits you will not know that a dragon is going to hurt you. That is the only thing I have learned in the past 2 days. I don't know if I need to thank God for these information or not but I thank Jesus Christ who died already too long ago. I am sad Jesus Christ is not here anymore because he would be able to save me from the red fiery dragon#