Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #21
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post

I installed (or upgraded) Windows 10 Pro from my old Windows 7 “Ultimate”. I am not even a bit sorry to downgrade to Windows 7 “Ultimate”.

I’ve actually checked that the F5 and F8 keys for Safe Mode do not really work anymore. If I need to enable Safe Mode, I will follow your hints and links! (not Capo nor Paco !)

yoga , if your hardware was Desktop, it would be interesting to have multi-boot where Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 could coexist.

It is recommended that each operating system be installed on separate Hard Disks so that the Boot Menu (F12) is enough to select which Operating System to run.
Quote:

I forgot to mention one very important detail. Before I upgrade, I backed it up using Acronis True Image.

The first time, unfortunately, the Image Integrity check failed. Already the second time, the Creation of the Image was successful!

And another detail: using Acronis True Image, the System Restore tool as well as the Original Factory Restore (using Safe Mode) would lose its meaning because you simply have to back up regularly or before upgrading, installing a program, etc. It would be just a suggestion, but each one decides for what he/she thinks best of his/her own interest.

Another thing, I do not know if Windows 7 Pro provides Windows XP Mode. I know Windows 7 Ultimate, there was such a tool, although I have installed Oracle Virtual Machine much better than Windows XP Mode (on my Desktop).

Even so, if it is possible, in my opinion, if your Hardware offers many Hard Disk Bays and you also have multiple HDDs, it would be better to use the Multi-boot feature than installing the Virtual Machine. That would be just my opinion.

Even though my Notebook is older, as the HDD is SSD, it is still fast during Boot and Windows Update. I am very satisfied with the experience of using Windows 10 Pro. It is very worth installing SSD on any Hardware!

Awww... Too bad! Unfortunately, branded PCs do not offer many HDD Bays (only 2 or 3 and Mini-SATA (mSATA) slot!)...

My Dell Desktop PC also has only 02 HDD Bays... OTOH, my mounted Desktop PC (Multi-boot with WinXP and Win7) has 06 HDD Bays!

I am not sure if ICQ is a “spyware”, but it has lost popularity and many users over the years... It has only 11 million users in 2014...
In the past, I was very fond of Windows 7. However, over the years and the improvement of the Windows 10, I started to get disillusioned with Windows 7.

The constant (and very annoying!) problems I had. Oh Great!:

01) Frequent problems with Windows 7 Aero;
02) Frequent problems to Minimize programs from the Taskbar;
03) Frequent problems to Shut down / Reboot Windows 7 where Intel Turbo Boost, Origin and Spotify prevented this;
04) Frequent Wireless connection problems;
05) Frequent Bluetooth connection problems.

Goodbye, Windows 7. Your golden age is gone forever... I surely do not miss you!
Old 29-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #22
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Quote:

In the past, I was very fond of Windows 7. However, over the years and the improvement of the Windows 10, I started to get disillusioned with Windows 7.

The constant (and very annoying!) problems I had. Oh Great!:

01) Frequent problems with Windows 7 Aero;
02) Frequent problems to Minimize programs from the Taskbar;
03) Frequent problems to Shut down / Reboot Windows 7 where Intel Turbo Boost, Origin and Spotify prevented this;
04) Frequent Wireless connection problems;
05) Frequent Bluetooth connection problems.

Goodbye, Windows 7. Your golden age is gone forever... I surely do not miss you!
I forgot to mention that there were constant problems when the Notebook was in standby mode in Windows 7. It is as if a “blackout” occurred and Windows was restoring in the state before standby and before the “blackout” occurs.

As your Hardware only has 02 HDD bays, you could still install 02 Operating Systems. You could back up your data in 02 ways:

01) Using External Hard Disk Drive, Pendrive or other devices;
02) Using Dropbox, OneDrive (cheap, but... ), Google Drive (very expensive!) in the cloud. Dropbox Smart Sync could greatly help save Hard Disk storage space.
Old 30-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #23
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
yoga , if your hardware was Desktop, it would be interesting to have multi-boot where Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 could coexist.
Actually, it's not so great idea already. WinXP is out of support, and Win7 is at brink of it. Essentially, it means that you either you had to tie yourself to old slow hardware to give XP a breath, or face with plain incompatibility of your new hardware with it. Also, AHCI is a thing for newer windows, and non-recognized in old, so you would had to switch it in BIOS now and again for each OS.

Quote:
Another thing, I do not know if Windows 7 Pro provides Windows XP Mode.
Basically, it's old good Virtual PC renamed and cutted. It was free since 2006, and it remains free.

Latest one, for Win 7+ is here.

Older, XP-compatible version is named Virtual PC 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
That (ICQ), and Skype, have been getting some bad reviews from time to time, due to automatic bot spam programs and people sending unaware people virus links and attachments. Though it can be avoided by disabling accepting things from people not on your friends list (I think, at least Skype should have that option), most people don't seem to bother or know settings of these programs well enough.
I don't use either, Facebook website is bad enough as a social meeting place, and those two programs are worse, meaning security isn't very good.
Just for record, I use Skype, ICQ and Facebook (and also Steam, Jabber and Telegram), and haven't any problems with it all this years. But only Telegram is under native PC client, others are through Miranda NG.
Old 30-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #24
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Actually, it's not so great idea already. WinXP is out of support, and Win7 is at brink of it. Essentially, it means that you either you had to tie yourself to old slow hardware to give XP a breath, or face with plain incompatibility of your new hardware with it. Also, AHCI is a thing for newer windows, and non-recognized in old, so you would had to switch it in BIOS now and again for each OS.
I'd second that from own experience. If you need Windows XP for older games (or programs) it's a much better idea to get one of the older single-core desktops or laptops for cheap (about 100-150€ these days), which provides the big plus that WinXP would run on the old hardware without a hitch, and so would older games as well.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 31-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #25
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking Danke sehr, Gnadige Scatty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
That, and Skype, have been getting some bad reviews from time to time, due to automatic bot spam programs and people sending unaware people virus links and attachments. Though it can be avoided by disabling accepting things from people not on your friends list (I think, at least Skype should have that option), most people don't seem to bother or know settings of these programs well enough.
I don't use either, Facebook website is bad enough as a social meeting place, and those two programs are worse, meaning security isn't very good.

Спасибо Вам Большое!
At last i read a competent opinion..

Yep, i am proud user who is not member of any social (fascist) net..
Old 01-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #26
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

I am not sure that you use "fascist" word right, yoga. But it's your right, anyway.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #27
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking Do you?

Quote:
I am not sure that you use "fascist" word right, yoga. But it's your right, anyway.

Really?

Подумай снова, друг.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #28
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

"Fascist" is structure where (supposedly, at least) everything made for sake of society, and there is one leader who (presumably) is the "Voice of the people", and every his action treated as last law.

Mussolini's Italy, Franko's Spain, and Hitler's Germany are by-the-book examples of fascism. With some extension, Stalin's Russia, Mao's China and current North Korea match the description too. But social media? How?
Old 05-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #29
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking Это не так просто, как Вы думаете, SS

Quote:
"Fascist" is structure where (supposedly, at least) everything made for sake of society, and there is one leader who (presumably) is the "Voice of the people", and every his action treated as last law.

Mussolini's Italy, Franko's Spain, and Hitler's Germany are by-the-book examples of fascism. With some extension, Stalin's Russia, Mao's China and current North Korea match the description too. But social media? How?

Dear and very kind SS,

Хорошо,

well, your answer is abs. correct.

So, i am not member of any social media now.

In the future also.

I was using epithet "fascist" being in a little, let say tipsy mode

(the Russian said "навеселе"),

so accept my sincere apologies.

(My tears do not stop because of the above error.)

But, you know mates, there are moments of our life

when one want to drink some quantity of wine because of

-just beat the strong Titan (Risen) or (Chaos) or

just save the world again.

Thank you and Спасибо!