Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Exclamation Ugh! PDF-XChange PDF Viewer...

I installed PDF-XChange PDF Viewer. I’ve come to enjoy using it more than my Default PDF Reader named Foxit Reader.

After a while, I noticed that the mouse on my Notebook was behaving strangely. I tried to check what was going on.

I speculated that it could be Kaspersky, Chrome, Opera, Dropbox or some Program present in the System Tray.

I have decided to Exit all these Programs, Reboot the Operating System several times, etc.

Until I decided to Exit the blessed Program PDF-XChange PDF Viewer. After that, the mouse worked perfectly. *phew* *whew*

One detail: the CPU was not 100% and all other Programs were closed except for the PDF-XChange PDF Viewer and some other “Light” Programs.

Ugh! The mouse freezes as if the CPU were 100%, or the Operating System was infected, Hub USB issues, or some other equally serious Problem.

For those who use the PDF-XChange PDF Viewer Reader and are experiencing the same situation as described above, the culprit would probably be the blessed Program named PDF-XChange PDF Viewer.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Why not use standard Adobe Acrobat Reader then? %)
Old 01-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #3
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post

Why not use standard Adobe Acrobat Reader then? %)
Well, “original” programs such as Adobe Reader and Internet Explorer (aka Internerd Exploder) have been outdated by competing programs.

There are magnificent examples in which the competitors were far better than the “original” and / or more “popular” ones (WinRAR and WinAce vs. WinZip, Kaspersky vs. Norton and McAfee, Opera and SeaMonkey vs. Internet Explorer, Samsung and Apple vs. Nokia, etc.).

For example, Free Foxit Reader allowed you to open multiple Tabs, change Tab positions, make Comments in the Text margins (and / or fill out Forms, and then Save the modified file), etc.

Adobe Reader only had the introduction of Tabs afterwards. As well as Adobe Updates tend to be quite painful and slow.

In the case of the PDF XChange PDF Viewer, the program may have been poorly programmed because having multiple Tabs open causes it to inconvenience the Operating System. Everything was strange, the Mouse, the Opening and Exiting of Programs, etc. The situation was very inconvenient.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post

Well, “original” programs such as Adobe Reader and Internet Explorer (aka Internerd Exploder) have been outdated by competing programs.

There are magnificent examples in which the competitors were far better than the “original” and / or more “popular” ones (WinRAR and WinAce vs. WinZip, Kaspersky vs. Norton and McAfee, Opera and SeaMonkey vs. Internet Explorer, Samsung and Apple vs. Nokia, etc.).

For example, Free Foxit Reader allowed you to open multiple Tabs, change Tab positions, make Comments in the Text margins (and / or fill out Forms, and then Save the modified file), etc.

Adobe Reader only had the introduction of Tabs afterwards. As well as Adobe Updates tend to be quite painful and slow.

In the case of the PDF XChange PDF Viewer, the program may have been poorly programmed because having multiple Tabs open causes it to inconvenience the Operating System. Everything was strange, the Mouse, the Opening and Exiting of Programs, etc. The situation was very inconvenient.
On second thought, I believe there is one more culprit in this case... Fraps!

In the past, I contacted Fraps Staff to show System Requirements before I bought it.

They ended up adding such System Requirements. And, apparently and unfortunately, Fraps is not 100% compatible with Windows 10.

There are other programs that although they are old, are still “compatible” and do not even cause apparent problems in Windows 10. *phew* *whew*

Ugh! Well, I will not redo the test to see if Fraps and PDF XChange PDF Viewer can actually cause problems with Windows 10.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Lightbulb

Quote:

On second thought, I believe there is one more culprit in this case... Fraps!

In the past, I contacted Fraps Staff to show System Requirements before I bought it.

They ended up adding such System Requirements. And, apparently and unfortunately, Fraps is not 100% compatible with Windows 10.

There are other programs that although they are old, are still “compatible” and do not even cause apparent problems in Windows 10. *phew* *whew*

Ugh! Well, I will not redo the test to see if Fraps and PDF XChange PDF Viewer can actually cause problems with Windows 10.
After all the problems mentioned above, I decided to install, after several years, the freeware Ashampoo StartUp Tuner or even the Ashampoo WinOptimizer FREE. Although old, it (they) works fine in Windows 10 although it does not list some Windows Services (System Startup). We can do nothing about it... *shrug*

Well, there are well known competitors such as iolo System Mechanic Pro and the defunct TuneUp Utilities (now AVG TuneUp). I think they are very expensive for what they offer... $$$$$ I do not know if they are worth buying the licenses and how many licenses (???) are included in the stratospheric prices! $$$$$
Old 25-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #6
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Quote:

After all the problems mentioned above, I decided to install, after several years, the freeware Ashampoo StartUp Tuner or even the Ashampoo WinOptimizer FREE. Although old, it (they) works fine in Windows 10 although it does not list some Windows Services (System Startup). We can do nothing about it... *shrug*

Well, there are well known competitors such as iolo System Mechanic Pro and the defunct TuneUp Utilities (now AVG TuneUp). I think they are very expensive for what they offer... $$$$$ I do not know if they are worth buying the licenses and how many licenses (???) are included in the stratospheric prices! $$$$$
I decided to replace my old Notebook with a newer and powerful Ultrabook. I kept insisting on keeping it as I rarely played latest PC games and for convenience.

However, I decided to put a stop to that and get out of the comfort zone. And I realized that checking and syncing files via Dropbox caused slowness in the old Notebook.

The synchronization of files via Dropbox was even much faster in the Ultrabook.