Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
qtulu

Default Sound Race (platformer, possible shareware/promotional game)

Hi there, wonderful forum section you got here, a great thing indeed.
I'm looking for an old DOS platformer. I remember it as Sound Race but I've been unable to find anything by that name and I've been looking for years now. So here goes:

- Played it early to mid 90s on a 486 or possibly a Pentium I (the former is more likely as it worked somewhat slowed down but this just might be due to poor game design/programming)

- As I remember it, the game was in a pack of BASF floppies and for some reason I remember it as a possible shareware/promotional BASF game. Also possibly in German but that might be a stretch.

- It was a simple sidescrolling platformer (left to right), playing a little human character (can't remember specifics, kind of a Dangerous Dave character) and your goal is to collect floppies, CDs, maybe records and musical notes for points. Don't remember any enemies.

- The graphics were very poor but certainly 256 VGA. I remember the background was consisted only of ciruclar gradients (blue as I remember it but possibly changing palettes). It's actually very reminiscent of games made by John Paul D'India ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axs_bc427IE ) but again, I didn't manage to find this game in any of them.

- Don't really remember the sound, quite possibly PC speaker.

I don't remember it as a good game or anything like that, but it was quite a long time ago and I've begun to think I might've made it up. I'd like to find it if possible, for nostalgic and collection reasons. Thanks!
qtulu is offline                         Send a private message to qtulu
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

I couldn't find anything on this list: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/...set,100/so,1d/
Maybe you could ask German MobyGames contributors on the forum?
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Scatty
Treasure hunter

It wasn't Duke Nukem II, was it? In there you can collect floppies, possibly CD's if I remember correctly, and also letters. Maybe also notes, but it's been a long while since I last played it, so not sure.
Though it doesn't exactly look like your game, that with the circular gradients. And there's enemies aplenty.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
qtulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
I couldn't find anything on this list: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/...set,100/so,1d/
Maybe you could ask German MobyGames contributors on the forum?
Yeah, I think I also searched that MobyGames list with no results. Thanks for the idea, I'll try that. Although, as I've mentioned, I'm not really sure the game was in German but it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
It wasn't Duke Nukem II, was it? In there you can collect floppies, possibly CD's if I remember correctly, and also letters. Maybe also notes, but it's been a long while since I last played it, so not sure.
Though it doesn't exactly look like your game, that with the circular gradients. And there's enemies aplenty.
It's definitely not Duke Nukem II. I've been into games since the days of C64 and ZX Spectrum, am a big fan of PC DOS games so good ol' Duke isn't really unknown to me. And yes, Duke Nukem II has better graphics than this game I'm looking for. Thanks for the effort though.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

It's called NashuMan, internet might refer to it as NashuaMan. It's developed by Pavell Software and it is indeed a promotional game, for printer cartridges, I think.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
qtulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
It's called NashuMan, internet might refer to it as NashuaMan. It's developed by Pavell Software and it is indeed a promotional game, for printer cartridges, I think.
Thanks TotalAnarchy but it's not the game I'm looking for. It's amazing how well it fits my description though, it's pretty uncanny.

The game in question most certainly didn't have such detailed backgrounds, just simple gradients.

It feels strange now that I'm looking at NashuMan, it logically seems like this might be the game but it just doesn't ring any bells, I just don't think this is it.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
qtulu

Hi!

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but 7 years later I actually managed to find a copy of Soundrace and I've uploaded it to archive.org, you can get it here: https://archive.org/details/soundrace_1995

It turned out to be a German promotional game for FUJI cassettes and it's pretty obscure with virtually no mention of it anywhere online, so it might be a fun curiosity for anyone who's interested, or if anyone would be eventually interested to host it on Abandonia as well? In any case, just posting this message here in case anyone else turns out searching for this game so they might find it a bit easier.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:12 PM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Thank you, qtulu. I doubt Abandonia will upload it, but Total DOS Collection most probably will, and eXoDOS is another possible project. I would also recommend to post on Legends World forum, the game is just in their specifics.

(Hmm, wasn't it you who seen it recently on ebay in pack of Fuji diskettes, or is it someone _else_ seeking for exactly same game? %)
Old 12-07-2020, 10:21 PM   #9
qtulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Thank you, qtulu. I doubt Abandonia will upload it, but Total DOS Collection most probably will, and eXoDOS is another possible project. I would also recommend to post on Legends World forum, the game is just in their specifics.

(Hmm, wasn't it you who seen it recently on ebay in pack of Fuji diskettes, or is it someone _else_ seeking for exactly same game? %)
Hey Smiling Spectre, yeah I'm the guy that saw the ebay diskettes, this is just an old username I haven't used in a long time.

Thank you for the suggestions! Yeah I submitted it to eXoDOS so it's gonna be there at some point when the update comes out, and it's been submitted to TDC as well. I was just doing the rounds and trying to remember where I've written about the game over the years in case someone searches for the game and finds this topic, and I've been looking to send the game to various DOS related websites (I made a thread on the legendsworld forums as well).