Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
Iowa
Game Wizzard

I don't know if i'm allowed to offer help if i'm not a moderator, but if i'm not...sorry, you can remove this at your leasure.

If you've downloaded a game on Abandonia (or anywhere else for that matter) and not been able to find the files or had the files disappear, you may have a problem with temporary files.

I had this issue when I got Blood from another website, but this might happen with other games as well. What happened was that the game had an included installer, so Winzip let the installer take care of it and thought that would be the end, but it wasn't. Somewhere along the line when the files were being uploaded the part that removes temporary files and installs the real ones got deleted. :not_ok:

To get around this problem and immortalize your game within your harddrive forever, follow these guidlines:

1. You should find the game's folder in your "C:Windows/Temp [or Temporary]" directory.

2. Copy the folder (using, quite simply, "Copy" and "Paste") into another folder that you've created [Example: I went into My Documents and created new folder named "Blood"].

3. That's pretty much it! The game will stay on your computer until you get bored of it and clear it out for hard drive space.

The reason I am posting this is because i've noticed this issue in quite a few DOS games, and I just thought i'd help a person or two.

Note: I did this on Windows 98 If you're using XP, it should work but I wouldn't know because i've never used XP...

edit: signature disabled - swiss
Iowa is offline                         Send a private message to Iowa
Old 03-08-2006, 01:08 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Okay... So if I get this right, what you are saying is that your have the auto-installer running in Winzip when you unzip the archive and the end result is that some important files in the archive are not unzipped in the right directory and you found the alternative to go fetch them in your Winzip temporary files...

Well, I have another option for you: disable the auto-installer in the Winzip option. Hell, this option should not even exist first of all... <_<

I'm going to move this thread to Technical since this really have nothing to do with the games in themselves, thus nothing to do with troubleshooting. Thanks for sharing your experience tough.