Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #671
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Actually, it's not about allocating more but about faking less free space than there actually is.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #672
halocrime

This forum is a godsend. I've recently rediscovered LOL and am almost to the end of the game. Playing it has brought back such memories! The puzzling Urbish Mines, the nightmare that is level 3 of the White Tower...I can't get over what a great, challenging, fun, and exciting game this was (and still is!).

One thing I've never understood, though, is that black serpent thing on level 3 of the White Tower. Does that thing just appear randomly, or is there a rhyme or reason to its appearance and attacks? Is there any good defense against it? The ghosts were annoying enough -- even with two Emerald Blades -- but I don't think I could have made it through this time around without the smackdown power of Vaelan's Cube to kill the ghosts, coupled with using it to constantly refresh my MP to cast heal spells for everyone injured by that damned snake. Anyone who does level 3 without the Cube has my admiration.

Anyway, just wondered if there was more to that snake thing than its seemingly random attacks.

Old 16-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #673
Undertaker
Super Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(halocrime @ Jul 16 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]299718[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
This forum is a godsend. I've recently rediscovered LOL and am almost to the end of the game. Playing it has brought back such memories! The puzzling Urbish Mines, the nightmare that is level 3 of the White Tower...I can't get over what a great, challenging, fun, and exciting game this was (and still is!).

One thing I've never understood, though, is that black serpent thing on level 3 of the White Tower. Does that thing just appear randomly, or is there a rhyme or reason to its appearance and attacks? Is there any good defense against it? The ghosts were annoying enough -- even with two Emerald Blades -- but I don't think I could have made it through this time around without the smackdown power of Vaelan's Cube to kill the ghosts, coupled with using it to constantly refresh my MP to cast heal spells for everyone injured by that damned snake. Anyone who does level 3 without the Cube has my admiration.

Anyway, just wondered if there was more to that snake thing than its seemingly random attacks.
[/b]
The Dreamsnake is a spell cast by the Wraiths. There is no (known) way to protect yourself from it.

Level 3 isn't so hard if you move around smartly (is that even a word? :blink: ): try not to fight them directly, but step to your left or right and then backwards, so that the spirits will have to move forward towards you and can't fire their annoying fireballs while doing so. While they're moving, you can get free hits in.

Hope it helps. k:
Undertaker is offline                         Send a private message to Undertaker
Old 19-07-2007, 02:28 AM   #674
Guest_h4m3d0_*

Recently discovered the cool 60 crowns for any item trick in the swamps. That combined with the ability to purchase fireball wands for 300..... 5 rocks/sticks/shirts/sandals/aloe and a fireball wand? very nice :-) My magic is almost level 8 and i'm on level 1 of the white tower! I wonder how this would work using michael due to his higher magic damage... scary ;-) (using ak'shel currently)

Old 19-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #675
humorguy
Super Freak

I have just read message after message of DOSBox gobbledook, giving a newbie (and why he didn't register I don't know!) info on how to set up the game in DOSBox, why don't all you hardcore gamers also point out a very easy to use front end for DOSBox called 'D-FEND'?! It avoids all that crazy DOSBox stuff and alos, using profiles in D-Fend, it means once the game is working you just have to double click the game name in the profile list to start the game, you don't have to set up DOSBox all over again or mess around with the DOSbox configuration file!

SO when recommending DOSBOx to a newbie, do yourself and them a favour and tell them to download D-Fend too - it'll save 30+ posts to explain how to get abandonware games working in DOSBox only!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 19-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #676
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

you know, d-fend use to be kinda buggy and sometimes have issues with the games, which dosbox doesnt have. you can save yourself 30 points of explaining how to work with dosbox, but you can also make 50 points of messing with buggy d-fend
Old 22-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #677
IcomeAnon

This was the first game I ever had when we first had a home PC. I was so happy when i found this site had a DL for it. But it freezes right after the part where you select your hero. Any advice? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 22-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #678

R.u.s.s. - I have over 50 game profiles in my D-Fend and all are okay. never had a problem with D-fend itself. Sometime I have resorted to trying DOSBox direct to see if it's a version problem, as some games work better in 0.70 and some in 0.63, etc.

If you do have a problem with one in fifty then I would say it would still be beneficial to tell people about D-Fend, for that 1 in 50 problem you are saving 49 in 50 problems, and it's still surely the best thing to advise as a first step rather than trying to explain the much harder DOSBox?! (After all, if DOSBox was 'easy' there wouldn't be front ends to make it 'easy' would there?)

So I still say a) D-Fend is not buggy (and it seems like you haven't used it much, so how would you know?), b) it will work most of the time so is better to try first if you have no DOSBox experience, and c) it's a darn sight easier to explain how to use than DOSBox, assuming you have used neither, so would still save a lot of Abandonia server space by not have dozens of 50 page threads where half of them are explaining how to use DOSBox for any given game!

Old 22-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #679
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

if you have a vacation for year or two you can browse our archives and see all the 'help me this is not running' posts while users were using d-fend=)
and no, i didnt use d-fend much
Old 25-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #680
Jan

Hi
Does anyone know, how to get into Catwalk caverns level 2? there is only a teleport to level 1, and a door with button, but it won't open...