Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
KoopaTroopa

Default Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire Graphic Prob

Salutations!

So news of Steam and Valve's source engine games are en route to my favourite type of operating system. Linux operating systems! But to keep to occupied I wanted to play savage empire. But it turns out to be one of the few games I've ever had any problems with under Dosbox.

When running the installer I chose the 256 colours option (Can't remember the name. It wasn't 'Tandy' or 'EMA' the other one). Although creating a character and the talking screens were fine as soon as we got to the overhead view I get the graphical errors. Trying to install the game with one of the other options for the graphics means the install just hangs.

My computer is a Lenovo H330 and I use my core i5's (sandy bridge) internal Intel HD 2000 graphics.

KoopaTroopa is offline                         Send a private message to KoopaTroopa
Old 22-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I am experiencing no such issues in DOSBox 0.74 (admittedly, the Windows version).

The archive on Abandonia contains the game in an already installed form. Delete the current unpacked copy, unpack the archive again and try running the game as-is by starting savage.exe.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
KoopaTroopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
I am experiencing no such issues in DOSBox 0.74 (admittedly, the Windows version).

The archive on Abandonia contains the game in an already installed form. Delete the current unpacked copy, unpack the archive again and try running the game as-is by starting savage.exe.
Ah I always used the installer before trying the game. The graphics work fine now however just as before I needed to use the installer to change the sound so it would work. I used the installer to change the sound and copied some files I thought it stored which audio it was using in. Then re-deleted everything, un-archived the archive and spliced the files back in and everything works now.

Thanks for helping!
KoopaTroopa is offline                         Send a private message to KoopaTroopa
Old 25-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaTroopa View Post
Ah I always used the installer before trying the game. The graphics work fine now however just as before I needed to use the installer to change the sound so it would work. I used the installer to change the sound and copied some files I thought it stored which audio it was using in. Then re-deleted everything, un-archived the archive and spliced the files back in and everything works now.

Thanks for helping!
Main problem with Ultima installer, as I remember, is it's... original approach to graphic compressing.

Full, original installer really has all needed files and can be used as many times as you wish.

But installed game is "tuned" to one specific graphic set. And if you'll try to fiddle with graphic, it will simply kills current set, trying to "replace" it. That was in your case, I suppose.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre