Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-12-2005, 07:10 AM   #1
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin

I want to know any tricks to repair damaged floppy disks. I have about 10 floppy disks and I had always kept them very carefully but now all have become damaged. I used to run scandisk on them and format them at regular intervals but now they all have become damaged mysteriously. Is this the normal wear & tear of floppy disks or are there any tricks available?
thanx
Old 21-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Normal. I had over 100 of these things several years ago, now the numbers thinned down to about 30 or so - and I don't use some of them cause they caught some nasty sort of virus too.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #3
platformer

Norton Disk Tool for DOS can repair some damaged floppy disks. I think it is a program included with Norton Utilities for DOS.
platformer is offline                         Send a private message to platformer
Old 21-12-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
kleine777
Game freak

yeah its really wired i suppose its bet to keep it all on the hard disk
kleine777 is offline                         Send a private message to kleine777
Old 22-12-2005, 09:27 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Norton Disk Tool for DOS can repair some damaged floppy disks. I think it is a program included with Norton Utilities for DOS.
Do not mistake data recovery for repair. NDT might block access to the damaged clusters, even recover _some_ of the data held in them, but it can't and won't repair physical damage of the disk surface.

In fact, floppies just degrade after a couple years - lost my Lords of the Realm (and original I bought a while back) that way, same goes for Battle Isle 1 and Scout Quartermaster. The floppies were used maybe twice, and then were kept safely in their respective boxes for around 6 years. Badsectors -> damaged floppies -> lost games.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-12-2005, 10:47 AM   #6
platformer

Yes, it can revive a defective diskette, so you can format it even when before you couldn't.
platformer is offline                         Send a private message to platformer
Old 22-12-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you check the size, you'll find it reduced - NDT has blocked the defective clusters from being written to, that's all.

There is no way it could repair actual physical damage to the disk surface - that just isn't possible.

-- Reed Richards
Old 22-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
platformer

Yes I know.
Old 22-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

And, as a general safety precaution, I advise to dispose of floppies that got even a single badsector - you never know how long till they suffer a total breakdown.

HDD's with badsectors are a little different thing, but I suggest to not put any important files on them - might still be good for setting up an OS, though.

-- Reed Richards
Old 23-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #10
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin

I have found a tool here:-

I am checking it to see if it works out for me!

Flobo Floppy Bad Sector Repair

http://www.floborecovery.com/downloads.htm
http://www.floborecovery.com/Flobo%20Flopp...pair%20Tool.exe
FREEWARE! k: