Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Another month, another art competion!

This time you (everyone is invited ) have to post a picture, before February, about the theme: Next level of life

You have to use imagination both to choose how to make the pic and to understand what "next level of life" means... so, work hard and work well to submit a masterpiece!
Old 13-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

I've been thinking about this concept. It could be tackled from a technological viewpoint as in sci-fi futuristic machines and architecture; human evolution - if we evolved from animal life, what's the next step?; or spiritual development: all men have the potential to be powerful as gods, but first a level of perfection has to be reached before those powers will flower according to the Bible.

That's all that comes to mind so far.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 14-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

I've already a good idea for a pic

I'll make something abstract/symbolic... I hope it'll come out good looking...
Old 23-01-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

The idea behind this picture is I've heard that sometime later this century the so-called invisible age is supposed to be returning. This will be a time when the denizens of other dimensions will become visible to us as they once were, and humans will understand the language of animals and they, ours. It will be a kind of golden age. This is a fanciful idea to be sure, but it's a nice one to think upon. This picture could have been set almost anywhere to exemplify this concept, but I chose an ocean setting as it's a favourite of mine.

Hope this displays ok. I had trouble uploading last time.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 23-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

A very good pic! :w00t:
I'll hardly win... :wallbash:

Anyway, here you have my creation! It's called "The next (mankind) level of life(style)".
To put a little explanation, like Wendy did, I can say that the humanity will be ever more powerful and ever more "bidimensional" (if you know what I mean...) and little, so imprisoned in his technology. There are other things, but I leave them to youre imagination and critics.

Old 23-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Thanks for the compliment, Quin, though I used a lot of sources which I prob should credit. I borrowed some elements from Ocean Fairies, an illustrated ebook I did a few years ago. Ardy Scott did the original girl in O.F. and I repainted her clothes and hair and gave her a wet look. Ardy also did the original penguins which I've redone to fit this picture. The seagull was a PSP tube that I repainted the colours of. And the seals were from a photo which I almost completely redid. I like repainting and rework my own dozens of times. All done using the scroll pad on this laptop. I work a bit messily as PSP isn't meant as an illustration program and airbrush work tends to look streaky unless you smudge or work on it in some way.

I really liked your picture and it was fun examining the details. I like how you used the concept of flight to show the next level. It was great how you didn't spell everything out too clearly so viewers could put their own interpretation on the picture. I wondered if by showing the manlike creature above the world, you weren't only showing his capability to conquer the elements through technology but also through mankind's future development as a species kind of rising above physical limitations. The glow around the figure hints at a possible enlightened being. Interesting how you used a coglike structure as the vehicle. It was both representative of all technology and womblike and protective of the small figure.

Just a thought, Quin, do we need to have judging this time around....seeing as there's only two entries and they're so different to each other. Perhaps we could just let the pictures stand for anyone who wants to toss around a comment....if anyone does. *g* It's up to you...I don't mind.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #7
bruno
Home Sweet Abandonia

I like very much Wendy picture, very beutifal, and give apeace to what people is looking here, very good, maybe we have already a winner
bruno is offline                         Send a private message to bruno
Old 25-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wendymaree @ Jan 23 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]276168[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I wondered if by showing the manlike creature above the world, you weren't only showing his capability to conquer the elements through technology but also through mankind's future development as a species kind of rising above physical limitations.
[/b]
I'm very pleased you wasted a bit of time analizing my pic! That's a great compliment for an "artist"...
I like to make things that can be interpreted in many ways... Personally, I see in the pic a man that's great just because he's "a gear" (that can be good or bad, due to the point of view...). You should even ask you how much could be destructive such great gear (or what it represent) falling on the ground (it can destroy easily an house... the life of an entire family...)
You know, someone said "a great power is a great responsibility"

I've to credit a good guy, Christoph Hormann (who doesn't know me ) for the image of the Earth, you all should visit his site: Wievs of Earth :w00t:

About the judges... well, if they are all like Bruno G... that idea doesn't sound so good to me... :bleh:
Seriously, we can apply the rule that we will count only the votes that have a commet too.
Old 26-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #9
Himmler
Trollmaster General

q's is better but not good enough
wendy's is... no

or it could be a non-art competition and just fun. that would be votable
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 26-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Himmler @ Jan 26 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]276526[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
q's is better but not good enough
wendy's is... no

or it could be a non-art competition and just fun. that would be votable
[/b]
I really hope that there can be fun even in an Art competition!

However, maybe you shouldn't expet too much from a pic I made in a couple of hours (comprehensive of thinking and searching from the web...). You should look at the "great plot" behind the pics!

I'm waiting for your vote when the "poll" will be open k: