Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #41
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well maybe we should discuss this elsewhere, as it might spam the topic.

I respect your opinions, I was merely presenting my own.
I think Myst is a good series, but only if you want a cinematic puzzle game.
Not so sure about the adventure part in earlier incarnations.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 30-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #42
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Aug 30 2005, 11:53 PM
Well maybe we should discuss this elsewhere, as it might spam the topic.

The original topic is over as far as I can see.
Old 30-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #43
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Surprisingly this thing hasn't been closed.

Guess it's a Myst topic in general then.
Anything more to share?

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 31-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #44
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

[quote]
Quote:
Yeah, the puzzles in Exile don't really have a point, but then again what was the point of all those inane puzzles in Riven every few steps?
I think the storyline in Exile is far better than that of Riven, since Riven spelled everything out from the beginning, leaving the player just an objective (two objectives) and a whole bunch of puzzles in between. Exile's story develops over time and, unlike Ghen, one can't see Saavedro as a standard mad powerhungry vengeful criminal.
I still maintain that the ending in Myst III was one of the best game endings ever.
I thought the puzzles in Riven were great. From the clues left by the Moiety to lead you to their age (stone circle puzzle) to the rotating temple and the firemarbles. They all had a point. You had to figure out how to power the linking books etc. It's all explained through the journal of Ghen.

Right now I'm at the end of Amateria (I think). I've found one pattern and soon I'll have the Amateria one. All in all based on what I've seen in Exile I have to say that
  • The graphics are better than Riven
  • The story unfolds in a better way than Riven
  • It's somewhat easier than Riven
  • The music is on par with Riven (from the little I've heard. Why isn't there more music in Exile!?!?!?)
  • The puzzles aren't as well thought out as in Riven
My conclusion is that Riven is so far a better game, but Exile is a worthy sequel. I also REALLY prefer the "one age" of Riven as opposed to the "many smaller ages" of Exile and Myst.

That said I'm only halfway through Exile and I might change my mind when I get to Narayan... The Myst series are so far a masterpiece in my opinion. As you said, it's like walking around in an art gallery with beautiful music and sounds in the background.

I just bought the DVD version of Schizm. I've read the reviews and like what I've read. When I'm done with Revelations I'm gonna take on Schizm.

*edit*
There, solved Amateria. Only Edanna left now and I can take on Narayan... Edanna sure is an imaginative place more more pleasing to the eyes than Voltaic or Amateria.

*edit*
WHOA!!! Edanna is gorgeous! Easily the prettiest Age I've seen yet in the Myst series.

*edit*
Finished Exile and moving on to Revelation The GFX of Revelation is the most beautiful I've seen in a computer game, ever! Music kicks behind too.
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 05-09-2005, 07:21 AM   #45
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroggy@Aug 30 2005, 09:38 PM
Has anybody played the demo of Myst V... I don't know about you but it was quite a disappointment for me. The character you see in the beginning was so very static looking and unemotional, and the graphics wasn't what they had led us to believe in their screenshots.

Now i'm not usually a person to call out for better graphics in a game (heck the game I'm addicted to right now is Thief II) but the Myst series is known for its sublime graphics. Playing a Myst game should be like walking through an art gallery, and... well i jsut don't get that feeling when playing Myst V... I think even Uru was better.
I've just seen the trailer to Myst V and I also think that the graphics isn't the milestone, Myst, Riven and Revelation was (notice I excluded Exile here). All three mentioned more or less raised the bar of what could be accomplished in a computer game. I'm still playing Revelation and my jaw is still dropping from time to time. Exile had great graphics, but it didn't make my jaw drop in the same way as in Myst and Revelation (Riven would have made my jaw drop had I played it when it came out instead of a month ago).

If Revelation continues as it has now (still in Tomahna), my current Myst top list will be

1:st Revelation
2:nd Riven
3:rd Myst
4:th Exile

I don't know where End of Ages will fit in and I still haven't played any of the Uru games (though I own them all :P)
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG