Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forum Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #151
Metaluim
Lurker

congrats to everyone, the scores were good, there were no really low ones.

If there is another contest, please put it on the first page of abandonia
Metaluim is offline                         Send a private message to Metaluim
Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #152
Poker Crow
Abandonia nerd

I'm back in town and I feel kind of disappointed I didn't win the first place . I put A LOT of effort to get the answers and what kills me is that I could have won but I made some bad decisions and missed 3 of my 5 wrong answers because of that:

- I almost guessed Red Baron but I thought "It cannot be, Manfred von Richthofen wasn't a communist"... idiot me I should have known that red=communist DOH! :facepalm:

- that screenshot of Zack McKracken, now I regret not having played that game... even though I knew it looked like the great face on Mars I couldn't link it for sure to any game. Almost made the wild guess of Zak McKracken just because of the Mars theme but no... I had to send a blank answer. Again... stupid me.

- Time Commando was also an answer I had considered. I knew there was time travel and apes because of some screenshots but not having played the game I didn't knew whether there was a BIG ape or not. However I played Primal Rage and knew there were big apes and a prehistoric setting. My plea for clarification regarding time travel was denied so I got inclined in favor of Primal Rage just because it was a proper fighting game (like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc.).

The remaining 2 wrong answers were beyond me... never played Master Lu, and even though I browsed throught half of Mobygames that particular screenshot never caught my eye so bad luck I guess. And the criptogram about Paperboy was EXTREMELY criptic and in fact makes no sense at all. The sex change part was easy, I knew it meant boy or man... but the environmentalist=paper part is not right IMO. We humans have to cut down trees to make paper you know, so using paper does not make people environmentalist. NOT using paper (or recycling it) is what makes people environmentalist. Paper might be less contaminating than plastic when disposing it but abusing its use without recycling is very damaging to the nature as well. Reusable cloth bags are the ecofriendlier choice. Sorry about the uncalled lecture, but I'm a biologist so I had to take that out of my system .

Getting back on tipic I guess winning the third place is not bad at all, but I feel bummed cause I was so close and because I really wanted the preorder of Tales of Monkey Island. I can still buy the games but I missed that sweet preorder edition and now it's impossible to get .

Anyway, now please have some patience Red Avatar I just got back in town and I gotta do some thinking before deciding my list of games for the prize.

Congrats to the lucky winners!
Poker Crow is offline                         Send a private message to Poker Crow
Old 08-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #153
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaluim View Post
congrats to everyone, the scores were good, there were no really low ones.

If there is another contest, please put it on the first page of abandonia
O_o

IT WAS announced on the main page...
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 09-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #154
red_avatar
Administrator

I already had to really rush to get the contest ready in time so there would at least be a day left for people to order the pre-order edition which wasn't easy - and a Sunday was the ideal time to end the contest since a lot of people only have time during weekends for such a big contest.

All in all, I doubt you can complain when you got that many answers right . Only a few people got Paper Boy right anyway - it was always meant to be a hard one to guess (although paper is about a million times more environmentally friendly than plastic - plastic does not decompose AT ALL).

About Time Commando: if I had given you the time travel clue completely (if was already hidden in the question) it would have been unfair to all the others.

But please don't wait too long with your list of games - everyone else is waiting to know which games he'll get and I can't tell them until I know which ones you got listed.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 09-07-2009, 05:14 AM   #155
bobson
Game is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteveld View Post
bob-satan: And the only one who laughs is a fellow countryman, figures. Be forwarned, I've heard that causes rain.
I want the rain to come, that is why I did it. It's too hot in last couple of days
Old 09-07-2009, 05:41 AM   #156
Poker Crow
Abandonia nerd

Don't worry Red Avatar, it's not like I'm saying it's your fault or anything. Actually fate conspired against me cause I had to go to work in the field for a week (no internet there ) and I just came back on Wednesday, so I wasn't present when the winner was announced and missed the preorder deadline at the same time. Bummer. My game list won't take long, I'll submit it to you before Friday ends. My apologies to all the winners, I know you're eagerly awaiting to learn which games you'll get but please bear with me a little more. Sorry about that.
Poker Crow is offline                         Send a private message to Poker Crow
Old 09-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #157
Sarlix
Lurker

I am still shocked that there wasn't even one Day Of The Tentacle question I lost points because of this!
Sarlix is offline                         Send a private message to Sarlix
Old 09-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #158
hydr0x
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
I already had to really rush to get the contest ready in time so there would at least be a day left for people to order the pre-order edition which wasn't easy
But there wasn't a day left to order it and I pointed it out too. You announced the winner after the pre-order phase had ended. I made a gamble and just prayed I did win but I was in the same unfortunate situation as Crow, I even considered preordering it anyways and selling the duplicate account in case I win :/ So, I can understand where he's coming from. But then again, I understand quite as well how much time you have to spend on something like this

@Crow

I understand your frustration, but then again, its a competition and only one can win. Rest assured though that us others put in a lot of effort too. Well, at least I did, Arteveld claimed he basically breezed through the questions. I hope you'll get over your frustration and will be able to enjoy the three excellent games you're getting for free.

The Primal Rage fault wouldn't have helped ya anyways. I answered Primal Rage too, so I'd still would have had one more than you if he accepted it. You didn't get 2 screenshots, just like me. And you didn't get Paperboy just like me. So basically it was your Red Baron blunder that cost you a tie (not sure about the better tie-breaker though, the average was 68,4 and I guessed 71). I didn't get that one first either, was one of the last 10 questions I got, it actually occurred to me while sleeping
hydr0x is offline                         Send a private message to hydr0x
Old 09-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #159
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr0x View Post
But there wasn't a day left to order it and I pointed it out too. You announced the winner after the pre-order phase had ended. I made a gamble and just prayed I did win but I was in the same unfortunate situation as Crow, I even considered preordering it anyways and selling the duplicate account in case I win :/ So, I can understand where he's coming from. But then again, I understand quite as well how much time you have to spend on something like this
Not true - the pre-order was still running for a day. Trust me, I visited the Telltale site a dozen times to see if the first episode was released yet

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #160
hydr0x
Lurker

As far as I could tell they just hadn't updated their site (which did state a fixed date though), when you actually ordered it you weren't getting the pre-order goodies anymore. Besides, even if it was available longer than they said before there was no way you could have anticipated this, so essentially we all had to risk losing out on the pre-order box. Just saying
hydr0x is offline                         Send a private message to hydr0x