Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 29-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #21
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The database already displays an "ESA" icon when something is protected. I guess you could just replace that with a more informative one.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #22
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

And, I think it would be very good if the button would include some sort of a "Why am I seeing this button?" text underneath so that people can click on it and see an explanation

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 29-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #23
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kosta @ May 29 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]233024[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
And, I think it would be very good if the button would include some sort of a "Why am I seeing this button?" text underneath so that people can click on it and see an explanation
[/b]
That's why the button includes the words "No Download" below it. (I tried to put a bar to seperate the button from the descriptive text.)

And...
Quote:
I hope guesst won't be offended if we make a little rework of the button while keeping the original idea[/b]
Kosta, you know me better than that. Like I'm going to be bothered to be upset with you re-working anything I do. Kosta buddy, any modifications you make to my ideas will only make them better. I'm just glad I had some small part in the creative process.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 29-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #24
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guesst @ May 29 2006, 03:57 PM) [snapback]233031[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
I hope guesst won't be offended if we make a little rework of the button while keeping the original idea[/b]
Kosta, you know me better than that. Like I'm going to be bothered to be upset with you re-working anything I do. Kosta buddy, any modifications you make to my ideas will only make them better. I'm just glad I had some small part in the creative process.
[/b]
Excellent then, had to check, don't like stepping on people's toes! Happy to hear yours are manicured and healthy!

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 30-05-2006, 04:15 AM   #25
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

How about adding something in the line of "This title is, as for now, listed on Abandonia for game information purpose only." beneath the button. It could do wonders, I recon.
Old 30-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #26
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ May 30 2006, 04:15 AM) [snapback]233148[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
How about adding something in the line of "This title is, as for now, listed on Abandonia for game information purpose only." beneath the button. It could do wonders, I recon.
[/b]
But that's not the case, is it? It's listed on Abandonia because it was downloadable, and now it isn't. It's not like we go and write reviews for game that can't be shared. Could you just see it? "Today we've got a new update, but don't try downloading it. Just read the review and imagine you're playing it." Yeah, don't think so.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 30-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #27
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Thus the "as for now" - because that is exactly the reason we don't delete game pages if the game isn't AW.

We store the information about the game, and display the hard work that was placed into creating that page.

And there have been games added to the site with a buy link, and have never ever even had the archive on the server. Just because we have felt that the game deserved to be mentioned with a review and screens.

Such was the case of Simon the Sorcerer.

Quote from the news about this game:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kosta
Well, before you start jumping around and cheering, we have only published review and screens for this phenomenal game called Simon the Sorcerer It is still being sold, so the appropriate 'Buy it' button is displayed where 'Get it' should be. So, you're free to buy it or obtain in some other way! Enjoy the screens and the review
- Kosta
Old 30-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #28
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Supplemental to TH's post

Yes, I was thinking about those games that had it's dl status changed from Get Here to No Go, for ANY reason. The point is that some games may have their status changed back again to Get Here status. Secondary, Tom Henrik was on the spot about not letting games be forgotten just because it has limited (or no) availability. To me, that is a very important aspect of sites such as Abandonia and HotU.

The problems many Abandonia newbies face, as I see it, is that they never knew the game was once available for dl here and that the status changed, they never heard of ESA and it never occured to them (seriously) that AW does not neccessarily mean up for grabs. You don't have to tell them all the nittygritty details of abandonware legal status, but you should give them a friendly thump towards understanding the reason for the game still being listed on your site.

And quite frankly, not all game-hunters care to read FAQ pages up and down. It's just not 'convenient'. Don't blame them too much for this, it's quite common. How many of you tax payers care to read all there is to read about tax?

So KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid! is a very sound approach.

Emphasize the AS FOR NOW bit for clarity.
Old 31-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #29
erinlove

Default Hmmm

I resent being called names when I can't find the stupid download button. There is no explanation, just "esa no go", and "no go" is very unclear and looks like "no 90". How the hell am I supposed to know what it is code for. You people are rude.
You couldn't even catch up to my IQ with the accumulative total of three of you monkeys.

Your momma should have taught you some respect and compassion.
erinlove is offline                         Send a private message to erinlove
Old 31-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #30
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinlove View Post
I resent being called names when I can't find the stupid download button. There is no explanation, just "esa no go", and "no go" is very unclear and looks like "no 90". How the hell am I supposed to know what it is code for.
Before the site was upgraded, the icon linked to an explanation page. A new such page will be added and linked to.
As you know by having read this thread, the "NO GO" will be replaced by a new version with "NO DOWNLOAD" instead.
Both of these things are on the "to do" list for the people responsible for Abandonia's web design and tech support.

Quote:
You people are rude.
You couldn't even catch up to my IQ with the accumulative total of three of you monkeys.
Your momma should have taught you some respect and compassion.
*sigh*
You're calling us rude, yet your own actions prove you no better either.
Had you indeed been as smart as you claim, you would have noticed the FAQ and read it before waltzing into the forum with that wonderful attitude of yours and starting to flame us.

I am locking this thread, effective immediately.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Closed Thread