Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #141
RocknRolla1-2
Forum hobbit

Thanks guys gonna go give these ideas a try
RocknRolla1-2 is offline                         Send a private message to RocknRolla1-2
Old 24-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #142
RocknRolla1-2
Forum hobbit

Glorious!! Thanks all, it works!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!
RocknRolla1-2 is offline                         Send a private message to RocknRolla1-2
Old 29-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #143
geekgeek
Lurker

Hi guys,

I've tried all the various suggestions here, but I'm still getting the Error "-32" thingy...
geekgeek is offline                         Send a private message to geekgeek
Old 31-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #144
humorguy
Super Freak

What another excellent Microprose game! Did they do any bad games? Because I cannot find any!!!

What an original story idea, and very educational too! The speech ads so much, but it would be nice if the text could be switched off!

Anyway any grief and I will repeat the advice given to go to the VOGONS site and download the phantom fix, it fixed my -32 error mentioned in the post above, for example!

I gave this game a 5 instead of a 4 because of the originality of it and the bravery of Microprose in making a game covering this subject and obviously putting so much research into it!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 31-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #145
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

your previous post actually contains no dots but exclamation marks only
Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #146
joethulhu

Default Having a terrible problem

I'm trying to play the game using DOSBox, but I keep getting the error message -32 that seems fairly uncommon, judging by these forums. Anyway, I've done every single fix on here (aside from the VOGONS one, I can't seem to find the file, if someone would link me that'd be nice) and none of them work. Other games are working fine with DOSBox, just not this particular one. Are there any other suggestions for alternate solutions?
joethulhu is offline                         Send a private message to joethulhu
Old 08-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #147
joethulhu

Ah, nevermind. Downloading the CD version fixed it.
joethulhu is offline                         Send a private message to joethulhu
Old 15-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #148
PIGSgrame

Send a message via ICQ to PIGSgrame

I found out some really interesting things about the game files. Maybe you have already wondered why the CD version is more than 120 MB bigger than the disc version? As with all Microprose adventure games, the speech data is packed in SPEECH.HAG, but this file is only about 27 MB big. If you compare the other files, you'll notice that GLOBAL.HAG is 100 MB bigger on the CD version than on the disc version. But since the only difference between both versions is the speech, there seems to be no sensible reason for that.

I did some research and found some documentation of the HAG format. HAG files can be compared to ZIP archives as they are a package of multiple files, but use an internal packaging algorithm. When I unpacked GLOBAL.HAG from the CD version, I found out that it contains a file called 00GRUNT which is exactly 100,000,000 Bytes in size and just contains useless junk data, just for the reason to make the CD version bigger and to make it unrealistic to copy it on multiple floppy discs (which was an appropriate copy protection when the game was released).

After some effort, I was able to remove the unnecessary 00GRUNT from GLOBAL.HAG and repacked the rest of the originally included files. This means that if you use my modified GLOBAL.HAG, you can reduce the game's size by 100 MB without removing anything important! I have tested it and the game did indeed work without any problems. If you want to try it for yourself, download GLOBAL.HAG from my server and extract it to the RESOURCE folder of Return of the Phantom, replacing the existing file. It is adviseable to replace GLOBAL.IDX also, but this is not required as long as the file PHANTOM.RTN exists. (If an admin reads this, I recommend to exchange the files on the download archive, as this will save you a lot of traffic)

You can also use this file to remove the copy protection question from the disc version, which might be another reason why they "protected" the GLOBAL.HAG file on the CD version.

Last edited by PIGSgrame; 15-11-2014 at 06:57 PM.
PIGSgrame is offline                         Send a private message to PIGSgrame
Old 18-07-2017, 12:22 AM   #149
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

I like Microprose games, there are some common details of these games that make me less enthusiastic. Unlike the LucasArts and Sierra games, the Microprose games look melancholic with background music not very cheerful...

This gives me the impression, perhaps erroneous, that the main character is somewhat gloomy... Mainly in Return of the Phantom of the Opera and Dragonsphere.

One thing that left me somewhat disconcerted in this game was the blessed labyrinth in the sewers of Paris. Without a blessed Walkthrough, it is very difficult to find the home entrance to the Phantom of the Opera.

Now, one thing that makes me happy is that if something happens to the main character, the game “restarts” at the point of “disaster”.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Old 02-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #150
Unregistered - matthieu
Default to fix error 32

My solution to fix "error 32" is to choose letter D instead of C to mount my drive