Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-04-2005, 06:23 PM   #41
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/aquaman.htm
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 20-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #42
Danny252
I have a custom title!

what is the actual definition of a graphic novel? is it a book made up os pictures and speech? if so, I have the Hobbit like that. I read it like that when I was 10 or so..
Old 20-04-2005, 08:17 PM   #43
UnHoly
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow+Apr 20 2005, 04:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Iron_Scarecrow @ Apr 20 2005, 04:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by UnHoly@Apr 19 2005, 08:18 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Iron_Scarecrow
Quote:
@Apr 19 2005, 10:43 AM
But am I the only one who reads Uncle Scrooge?

No, I've also read that. I read two of them released in Poland and I loved them. Are there more of them or only two???
There's a couple hundred of them. Carl Barks did start them but after he died fans continued them and are just as good.

But it is nice to know that other people read them, as they are one of the few comics that I read, and my favourite. [/b][/quote]
I know there are many comics with Scrooge by Carl Barks, but I mean those long ones with only Scrooge, about his history, his early years etc. Are there many of that comics. As I said, I read only two of them and I found his life really fascinating. I like those in modern times, but that history comics are better.
UnHoly is offline                         Send a private message to UnHoly
Old 20-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #44
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Danny252@Apr 20 2005, 07:55 PM
what is the actual definition of a graphic novel? is it a book made up os pictures and speech? if so, I have the Hobbit like that. I read it like that when I was 10 or so..
Like I said before, the acutal definition of a graphic novel is a comic book story too large to tell in the traditional monthly magazine format.

However, it can also mean a shorter comic story collected in book format, or a collection of monthly stories. But as defined, that's not true. I hope I didn't confuse you.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 20-04-2005, 11:55 PM   #45
irrelevantjet
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Seriously, I couldn't name all of my favourite comics. It's my number one prime interest and hobby.
good to see someone else has the same love as me on this boards

although i'm highly DC-orientated (And highly Vertigo orientated at that) i'll still read whatever takes my fancy, i usually skip the marvel stuff though because my friend buys all that xmen crap...

i'm a true Batman fan
- Batman
- Batman: Detective Comics
- Robin
- Catwoman
- Nightwing
- Batgirl
- Gotham Central
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight

so many good storylines for the Dark Knight, a few of more recent ones include
- No Man's Land (and the storylines leading up to it)
- War Games
- Hush

I know hundreds of people are Marvel fans, but to me Marvel is too colourful and kiddy at the best of times, sure they have the Max line of "more adult" comics, but most of the time i find the characters boring. And all these recent Marvel movies just keep on getting worse and worse... give me DC anyday

also i'm not DC/Vertigo-exclusive, i still own hefty amounts of Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, Americas Best Comics, Wildstorm, and independant comics

I even released my own independant comic last year with the co-creator of my website, we had lots of fun doing it too, you can find it on the website under "concept drawings", its a rather cheerful story about 2 guys making a comic.
irrelevantjet is offline                         Send a private message to irrelevantjet
Old 21-04-2005, 12:17 AM   #46
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow+Apr 20 2005, 04:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Iron_Scarecrow @ Apr 20 2005, 04:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by UnHoly@Apr 19 2005, 08:18 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Iron_Scarecrow
Quote:
@Apr 19 2005, 10:43 AM
But am I the only one who reads Uncle Scrooge?

No, I've also read that. I read two of them released in Poland and I loved them. Are there more of them or only two???
There's a couple hundred of them. Carl Barks did start them but after he died fans continued them and are just as good.

But it is nice to know that other people read them, as they are one of the few comics that I read, and my favourite. [/b][/quote]
It's not just fans who make them. In Denmark they're released commercially (I'm guessing this is the case in many other countries as well), and Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge are probably the most wellknown comic book characters here. The ones by Carl Barks are the best by far, though.

EDIT: I'm a bit unsure about this graphic novel concept, though. It sounds as just another word for comic books, probably used by people who won't admit to reading comics.

Can anyone explain this to me?
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 21-04-2005, 01:02 AM   #47
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@Apr 21 2005, 12:17 AM
I'm a bit unsure about this graphic novel concept, though. It sounds as just another word for comic books, probably used by people who won't admit to reading comics.

Can anyone explain this to me?
A lot of people use it like that... Not me. Why should I be ashamed of an interest? That's just stupid.

Anyway, here's what Wikipedia has to say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_novel

I thought Will Eisner had originated it. Huh. Learn something everyday.

The article has a slight tinge of "superheroes are for kids and drooling idiots!" but all the examples it cites are good works.

I don't think it's inappropriate to call comics of all kinds comics... It may sound "childish", but fantasy is called fantasy, and that term kind of makes it sound frivolous, doesn't it?
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 21-04-2005, 01:18 AM   #48
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterGrazzt@Apr 21 2005, 03:02 AM
I don't think it's inappropriate to call comics of all kinds comics... It may sound "childish", but fantasy is called fantasy, and that term kind of makes it sound frivolous, doesn't it?
I completely agree. It seems to me that the term graphic novel is mostly used by adults to legitimize reading comics. Nice link, but the article seems to imply that any comic book that isn't humourous is a graphic novel, which means superhero comics are graphic novels, too.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 21-04-2005, 01:21 AM   #49
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

Well, Eisner used the term "graphic novel" because he feared "comic book" would degrade the work. Kind of ironic, as it actually was a book.
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 21-04-2005, 01:26 AM   #50
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@Apr 21 2005, 01:18 AM
Nice link, but the article seems to imply that any comic book that isn't humourous is a graphic novel, which means superhero comics are graphic novels, too.
Well, I've read plenty of hilarious superhero comics. And plenty of graphic novels that are, too. I think by "humourous" it means "comic strip", actually.