Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-04-2005, 01:34 AM   #31
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by xoopx@Apr 18 2005, 05:50 PM
often a comic series will end up being printed as a graphic novel later.
but some things come out as a graphic novel only.

i like 'ghostworld'

'streak of chalk' (very strange story)

V for vendetta

but i havent read that many graphic novels
Ghost World was great.
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 19-04-2005, 08:26 AM   #32
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabbit@Apr 19 2005, 10:58 AM
Ohh boy... LOL. I collect manga, if that counts. But then again I'm young and can leech off my parents for cash. LOL
Hmmm I do it all the time. All my friends have to pay for their own things, but I never do, I actually feel kind of bad about always doing it, but I'm to lazy to sort it out by getting a job.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 19-04-2005, 08:27 AM   #33
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow+Apr 19 2005, 08:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Iron_Scarecrow @ Apr 19 2005, 08:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sabbit@Apr 19 2005, 10:58 AM
Ohh boy... LOL. I collect manga, if that counts. But then again I'm young and can leech off my parents for cash. LOL
Hmmm I do it all the time. All my friends have to pay for their own things, but I never do, I actually feel kind of bad about always doing it, but I'm to lazy to sort it out by getting a job. [/b][/quote]
the library has graphic novels!
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 19-04-2005, 08:43 AM   #34
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Oh I wasn't talking about collecting manga I was just talking about leeching money off my parents for everything.

But am I the only one who reads Uncle Scrooge?
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 19-04-2005, 10:18 AM   #35
UnHoly
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Apr 19 2005, 10:43 AM
No, I've also read that. I read two of them released in Poland and I loved them. Are there more of them or only two???
UnHoly is offline                         Send a private message to UnHoly
Old 19-04-2005, 10:18 PM   #36
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Apr 19 2005, 08:43 AM
No, Donald Duck and his family and friends are just about the only Disney comics I enjoy. Carl Barks was a genius.

As for me... Oh boy. I love comics. (Yes, even "childish" superhero stuff) All kinds, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, horror, romance, intrigue, comedy, and more. Manga tends to annoy me, I don't really like the style. I know that's a sin these days, but tough. There are a few exceptions, like Akira, Lone Wolf and Cub, and Blade of the Immortal. Also, I'd like to read Barefoot Gen.

Some of the super-hero or "mainstream" (pretty much DC and Marvel) stuff in this last isn't EVERYTHING ever written about that character or title, but particular storylines. It would take awhile to name all my favourite, though. However, off the top of my head, in no particular order, here are some:

The Sandman
Starman
Spider-Man
Batman
Superman (Yes, I like the "unrealistic" Superman. Isn't that the point?)
Doom Patrol
Deadpool
Captain Marvel (Especially The Death of Captain Marvel)
The Power of Shazam!
Thunderbolts
Daredevil
Preacher
The Avengers
The Defenders
What If?
Justice League of America
Justice Society of America
X-Men
Alias (Nothing to do with the show)
Squadron Supreme/Supreme Power
The Crow
Tomb of Dracula
Cerebus
The Flash
Batman and The Outsiders (and just the Outsiders by themselves)
From Hell
Watchmen
Kingdom Come
Hellboy
The Amazing Screw-On Head
Sam and Max (Yes, the same characters from Sam and Max Hit the Road)
V for Vendetta
Enemy Ace: War In Heaven and War Idyll
Impulse
The Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
The New Teen Titans
The Demon Etrigan
Young Justice
Astro City
Hellblazer
Lucifer
Swamp Thing
Sandman Mystery Theatre
Wildcats Version 3.0
Stormwatch
The Authority
Transmetropolitan
Hitman
Fallen Angel
Incredible Hulk
Sin City
Tintin
Asterix
The Metabarons
The Technopriests
Epic Illustrated
Grimjack
American Flagg!
Starslayer
The Warlord
The Badger
Nexus
Elementals
Ghost Rider (I prefer Johnny Blaze's stories, Fifth Horseman, but Dan Ketch is cool too)
Invincible
League of Extraordinary Gentleman
Tom Strong
Top 10
Promethea
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (The original and current Mirage series)
Usagi Yojimbo
The Spirit and Will Eisner's graphic novels
The Golem's Mighty Swing
Strangers in Paradise
Conan

Lots more, but that's all I can think of right now! As you can tell, I have a certain taste for comic books. I just like the style of storytelling.

By the way, the usual use of these days is "graphic novel" is simply a fancy way of saying "a single comic story or collection of stories too long for the traditional magazine format". But as Will Eisner defined the term, a graphic novel is one, over 400 page (This length is more of a measuring stick than a hard definition) story. Technically, trade paperback, or TPB is what collections/smaller stories should be refered to. I use it when talking to fellow comic fans, but when talking to other people about it, I use graphic novel, since that term is more widely understood.

Illustrated novels are what traditional text novels with a few drawings are called, actually.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 20-04-2005, 02:12 AM   #37
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

I find, alot of the times, Manga storylines are severly lacking... and yea, the style does get quite irritating.

Just saw Sin City, a pretty good rendition of the comic. I wonder what Watchmen would be like in motion.
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 20-04-2005, 02:22 AM   #38
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by UnHoly+Apr 19 2005, 08:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UnHoly @ Apr 19 2005, 08:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Iron_Scarecrow@Apr 19 2005, 10:43 AM
No, I've also read that. I read two of them released in Poland and I loved them. Are there more of them or only two??? [/b][/quote]
There's a couple hundred of them. Carl Barks did start them but after he died fans continued them and are just as good.

But it is nice to know that other people read them, as they are one of the few comics that I read, and my favourite.
Old 20-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #39
irrelevantjet
Abandonia nerd

it's odd that i haven't seen "Fables" or "100 Bullets" mentioned yet, i know i didn't mention them because i only mentioned the ones i knew the author too....

but Fables is a great story about the fables population like the 3 little pigs and snow white, living in the real world amongst the normal people, yet they are also fighting a war that envolped their own world. a GREAT read

And 100 bullets is classy, sexy and violent. What would you do if you could get revenge on the person who ruined your life? if you were given a gun and 100 untraceable bullets would you take the chance? k:

And finally any Batman fans like myself may want to look into "Gotham Central", the tales of the police men and women of the Gotham City Police Department as they try to do their job agains the whackos of the city in the shadow of the bat himself.
irrelevantjet is offline                         Send a private message to irrelevantjet
Old 20-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #40
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by irrelevantjet@Apr 20 2005, 03:32 PM
it's odd that i haven't seen "Fables" or "100 Bullets" mentioned yet, i know i didn't mention them because i only mentioned the ones i knew the author too....

but Fables is a great story about the fables population like the 3 little pigs and snow white, living in the real world amongst the normal people, yet they are also fighting a war that envolped their own world. a GREAT read

And 100 bullets is classy, sexy and violent. What would you do if you could get revenge on the person who ruined your life? if you were given a gun and 100 untraceable bullets would you take the chance?* k:

And finally any Batman fans like myself may want to look into "Gotham Central", the tales of the police men and women of the Gotham City Police Department as they try to do their job agains the whackos of the city in the shadow of the bat himself.
Whoops. I forgot all those! Of course I read them! Bill Willingham of Elementals is the writer of Fables.

Also, I've met Brian Azzarello, writer of 100 Bullets, at a convention. Comic cons are pretty cool events. Pretty much all they are is big sales and the chance to meet your favourite creators and hear them speak. I really went there for George Perez, one of my favourite artists. He had some pretty funny stories. I know when most people think of conventions, they think of unshowered, costumed freaks standing in a room smelling bad together, but that's pretty much anime cons, where people come as giant rabbit people and try to get people to participate in their "live action hentai". Not to knock anime fans at all, but if you've been to a con, you'd probably agree with me. Anyway... http://www.georgeperez.com/ I think some of you will like his art. It's been called a little... 80s, but it's attractive, clean and powerful.

Seriously, I couldn't name all of my favourite comics. It's my number one prime interest and hobby.

Although I'd like to make it clear that... I like Aquaman. LOL Yes, I know that in the SuperFriends cartoon, he pretty much existed to get kidnapped, but his more recent comic, by Peter David, was a very fine read.

Okay, I've gone on long enough. If you'd let me, I could go on for hours and hours! But I think this is enough.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt