Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-08-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default I Broke my Gamma.

Broken Gamma.

Not a cool new-game by a soon to be bought out EA Studio.

Just a simpleton with a silly problem.

I tried to 'calibrate' my screen recently, and screwed with a bunch of stuff I shouldn't have laid my hands on.

Notably, a little application called 'Calibrize' - http://www.calibrize.com/ and my Nvidia CP.

Here's my problem.

When I log-in my desktop loads three separate 'gamma' or 'display' profiles.

Firstly, my 'classic' settings kick-in. Close enough to what things looked like before I started tinkering.

Secondly, a pink/redish hue takes over, as if there is an 'overlay' on top of everything.

I assume this is the set-up that I screwed around with using 'Calibrize'.

Lastly, my custom nVidia settings kick-in and bring things back to 'classic' appearance. Except things are too dark, and monotone!

What can I do to restore my original settings?

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Are you using Windows XP and have System Restore activated? If you do, all you'd need to do is to restore the system to a point created before you changed / created those profiles.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 10-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Kyle_the_wizard
Abandonia nerd

Have You already uninstalled "calibrize"?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

.... should have a 'restore to defaults' or similar button somewhere in the settings,
if not: crappy and totally worthless bad coded software.
[edit]
Don't know about that 'calibrize' thing but nvidea has a 'delete' profiles option in my nVidea control panel:

And yes, uninstall that calibrize thing, you can handle everything in the nVidea control panel, eventually use the 'advanced' mode for further fine tuning, if needed.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 10-08-2009 at 10:26 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

If you did it via software, a System Restore will fix it, as Scatty says.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I generally advise against using System Restore unless you really have no other option.
I used it precisely once.
It rolled back entire directory structure on the hard drive.
Took me about month to sort it out afterwards, and I was never exactly sure if I didn't lose anything in the process.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

I've used it lots of times (but not too much since it causes fragmentation). It's a standard Windows feature and should work without problems in most scenarios; choose the most recent restore point you have, before the change you want to eliminate.

Horseman, your problem was probably because (besides using a very old restore point?) you kept your documents outside "C:\Documents and Settings\" (or "C:\Users\" in Vista, that is "my documents" etc.)? Being there is the only way Windows has to tell that files shouldn't be rolled back (though as an exception the desktops are rolled back IIRC). Everything outside there is considered system or program files and will be rolled back, so if you don't want that and don't want to relocate documents as intended for some reason, you would have to back them up. It's better to use the intended folders for storage.

Anyway each rollback is automatically preceded by the creation of a restore point, which you can use to "roll back forward" to the state before the rollback.

Sean, first I would have advised fiddling with the configuration software of your graphic card, but i didn't since you said it was in part how you messed things up precisely, and you just seemed to want to return to your previous state. But you may want to give it a try, or at least look for a "set to factory default" button.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:28 AM   #8
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Quote:
I broke my Gamma
LOL you gotta go up to a girl and say that!

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Horseman, your problem was probably because (besides using a very old restore point?) you kept your documents outside "C:\Documents and Settings\" (or "C:\Users\" in Vista, that is "my documents" etc.)? Being there is the only way Windows has to tell that files shouldn't be rolled back (though as an exception the desktops are rolled back IIRC). Everything outside there is considered system or program files and will be rolled back, so if you don't want that and don't want to relocate documents as intended for some reason, you would have to back them up. It's better to use the intended folders for storage.
*cough*
Separate partition. Separate hard drive. With system restore for that partition disabled entirely. And it still did that.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I broke my Gamma
Sounds painful

Snarking

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete