Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

No, Fallout had the same thing where my most memorable moments were speaking to Lou or The Master.

What I meant is that Planescape is pure story. There is no tangible gameplay, it's just filler so that it can be called a "game".
The people that rave about it let the story get in the way and completely ignore the point of a review, which is to both technically and personally inform people of the game. That means if you loved a game you still have to point out its flaws.

I loved some games that other people hated, I loved Black & White, but the thing is, as a game, Black & White is massively flawed, I would never score it higher than a 7.0.

While I'll rave about Planescape's story, the instant someone asks for a recommendation I'll give a firm "no". I'm assuming people are asking for a recommendation of a good game, not a good story.

It's not just the participation, it's that everything is built up for you. There's no ability to influence the story or uncover different things depending on how you play. It's an RPG with the story of an Adventure game. It doesn't work and it feels jarring. So while the story is great, they implemented it poorly as well.
I mean, the story of that game is that it ALREADY HAPPENED, this stuff is past tense, the story that you advance through yourself is meager and has little to no opportunity for you influence it, aside from making some superfluous decisions.

There's too much wrong with Torment to point out in one statement, all I can say is that it's a flawed mess and reviewers should have pulled their pretentious heads out of their asses and done their job which is review a game, not get their little brains all excited just because someone managed to write a good story.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 09-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
Spoonman
Flyswatter

Personally I really don't give a monkey about how hardcore RPG a RPG is or even if it's RPG enough to be an RPG or what a RPG should be about, as long as it manages to suck me into it's world and makes me keep it playing on and on. Yes, the combat is far from flawless, but I just never cared enough. For like with Fallout and Soul Reaver I wanted to finish it, just to see it unfold the way it does. Call me a conformist, but I just like to get entertained.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #13
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It's all about false advertising Spoonman.

They said deep RPG with Oblivion, that was obviously not the case. Also that was just philosophical gaming stuff. It's not about Planescape being an RPG or not, it's about the game sucking, those little paragraphs were just retorting back to the people who think Planescape is the greatest RPG ever without taking into consideration what how much the core design of the game blows.
Namely everything but the writing and graphics.

God damn people, I wrote the review because the game sucks, not because I wanted to make a point about how RPGs are supposed to be.

My Site -

Last edited by Blood-Pigggy; 09-05-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 09-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy View Post
It's all about false advertising Spoonman.
God damn people, I wrote the review because the game sucks, not because I wanted to make a point about how RPGs are supposed to be.
OK? You spent the first four paragraphs telling us what you thought RPGs should be.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 09-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You have got to be kidding me, it was an introductory paragraph JMB, what did you want me to do? Immediately start analyzing the game like some boring sod hack of a writer?

Yeah, and the other twenty paragraphs are all about how the game fails in almost every aspect of being a good game.

My Site -
Old 10-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #16
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Calm down, BP. Just messin with ya. You obviously have strong opinions on the subject. I'm ok with that. I might not agree with them but that is ok too. I'm going to go read some reviews of games you liked. I want to see the other side of Blood Piggy.

BTW, keep writing. I have enjoyed reading your stuff. This one came off as unusually abrasive for some reason. Maybe the numbnuts thing was a little strong for my taste. That part read like you knew you were going to get criticized and were defending yourself (or attacking) in advance. You definitely have a unique style.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 26-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #17
Frankie
Forum hobbit

It's coming......

The first serious controversy strikes in when I compare BP's distaste towards story (reading) oriented RPGs -- which in my book has a valid presence in the genre -- and the horrifying bulk of the post.

While only able to read about half of it, the closing numbers appear like the results of a glitchy RNG's. If I wouldn't have played this game before and would need some feedback on it I'd rather look for a detached review instead of this mental masturbation which's subjectivity is extended to the absurds.

If anyone seen the crappy Onion Movie, the short story of the roleplaying nerd who pops into the party uninvited and ultimately ruins everyone's fun flashed through my mind while reading this "review".
Old 26-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #18
ianfreddie07
wat

Nice bump Frankie.

Anyway, in short... you're saying this is a terrible review?

Story driven RPGs are already fitting well in the genre, but then if the gameplay of the RPG can't support/complement the story well enough... Everything else falls apart. You'd be reading a book, instead of playing a game. Not good.
Old 26-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #19
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

I didn't read the review, but saying that Planescape: Torment is a bad game because it's not a true RPG is like saying Castlevania is sh*t because it has a stupid name.
Old 26-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #20
Frankie
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfreddie07 View Post
Nice bump Frankie.

Anyway, in short... you're saying this is a terrible review?

Story driven RPGs are already fitting well in the genre, but then if the gameplay of the RPG can't support/complement the story well enough... Everything else falls apart. You'd be reading a book, instead of playing a game. Not good.
1) Was reading through reviews, found this, happens to be my favorite game, and I'm a careless necromancer anyway.

2) Yes.

3) I didn't have too many problems with the gameplay. The close view was weird at the start but I think it was applied for not to see your environment further then you should. I liked the spell's animations and I loathe Final Fantasy aswell. I really didn't get it why to whip those animations so hard if you'll have to read a lot a couple minutes later.
I'm trying to take out the best of games usually and play it the way it's intended. This one obviously focused on the story, I payed less attention for the graphics -- which was considered good in its time -- and I was familiar with the gameplay and could come over its drawbacks.

I like some games as I like a good movie. The more I analyse these, the more magic they lose imho. Play it through two or three times and have its memory like a movie's.