Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Crunchy92

Default Get all Games

Hey guys,

is there any possibility to download all games automatically? I'd like to have all of the games on my external HDD (in case i have too much spare time and get to test them ^^)

Also, if there is no possibility, i'd be willing to write a tool that does that. The only problem is that i don't know how to generate the links to download the games. I first thought that the download links are numbered (like "abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/24163") but then i noticed that there is another link following. But maybe i can scan the html file and look for the real link in there....Well, if there is no other possibility I'll try that - maybe someone's interested in a tool like that too

Bye,
Crunchy
Crunchy92 is offline                         Send a private message to Crunchy92
Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Wicky
the little viking

Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The download links are not static; the access key to contents on the file server is changed every couple hours to prevent certain so-called "abandonware" sites from stealing our bandwidth (one particular offender had the nerve to charge their users for that, claiming it pays for "their" bandwidth...).
If you code such a program and it does work, then please keep it to yourself and under no circumstances give it to _anyone_.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Crunchy92

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
The download links are not static; the access key to contents on the file server is changed every couple hours to prevent certain so-called "abandonware" sites from stealing our bandwidth (one particular offender had the nerve to charge their users for that, claiming it pays for "their" bandwidth...).
If you code such a program and it does work, then please keep it to yourself and under no circumstances give it to _anyone_.
Gee, i didn't know this was such a big deal. Alright, i will keep it to myself then. Thanks for the answer anyway!
Crunchy92 is offline                         Send a private message to Crunchy92
Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Also such one-time surge would be (nearly) a killer for the site - somebody pays for the transfer, after all. I don't see why you can't download all those game in, say, 2-3 months, to "spread" a bit the impact of such huge transfer.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

You can easily generate the links for the webpages with the final download links, but you'd have to click them one by one.

Those links are dynamic for a reason, to prevent leeching (as Horseman says) and hypothetical denial-of-service attacks (and your plan involuntarily amounts to just that, as RRS says).

You shouldn't be able to do it, if you manage you'll have found a vulnerability in the website.

I remember Titan talked about switching the download system to BitTorrent. That could satisfy your demand, and possibly improve other areas too. But I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

If you want my opinion, there's no good reason to do that, just play the games, you can download more any time you want to try new ones.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
Peter
Forum hobbit

of course you can do it.
It is not that hard either.
Peter is offline                         Send a private message to Peter
Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
You shouldn't be able to do it, if you manage you'll have found a vulnerability in the website.
peter is right .. you can do it and it's not difficult at all
Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Japo
Autonomous human

When I said he'd have to click the links one by one after they had been generated each on its webpage, I didn't say he'd have to do that clicking by hand. Of course it can be automated. I didn't want to give any ideas though. If you mean something different, I'm at a loss.

Anyway if the server has a firewall with some kind of DOS defence--and we should assume it does?--succeeding in this would only get you banned, if only temporarily.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

it won't