Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #651
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Indeed, I can confirm that Apocalypse has a tendency to freeze in VDMSound.
I suspect that this is related to the fact that VDMSound's enviroment simulation is not as extensive as that of DosBox.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #652
Roadkill
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Nov 21 2006, 01:08 PM) [snapback]267960[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Indeed, I can confirm that Apocalypse has a tendency to freeze in VDMSound.
I suspect that this is related to the fact that VDMSound's enviroment simulation is not as extensive as that of DosBox.
[/b]
I wrote a pretty damn good way around getting errors on page 38 of this forum, try that and see if it helps... You may also have to set the amount of Ram Vdmsound uses to a bit higher if it's still running slow.

Tip- Get to allied status with Pyske, stun raid them - most of the time you get 7 Pyclones (31.5k per mission) and afew extras like mini rocket launchers ect... well worth it. Raiding Marsec some times gets you PSI blockers (only 1 or 2 if you are lucky) they sell for 4.5k a pop - Has anyone found a use for em, they dont seem to have a use all the times I've tried em?

Tip2- If you dont want organisations to get angry with you every time you fight a battle with the UFO's, set all your vehicles to LOW altitude, henceforth your shots shoot upward and will rarely hit a building and the ufo's missed shots will hit buildings causing the organisations to be unfriendly towards the alien scum and in some cases automatically makes the organisations more simpathetic to your cause.
Roadkill is offline                         Send a private message to Roadkill
Old 22-11-2006, 12:39 PM   #653
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roadkill @ Nov 22 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]268172[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Tip- Get to allied status with Pyske, stun raid them - most of the time you get 7 Pyclones (31.5k per mission) and afew extras like mini rocket launchers ect... well worth it. Raiding Marsec some times gets you PSI blockers (only 1 or 2 if you are lucky) they sell for 4.5k a pop - Has anyone found a use for em, they dont seem to have a use all the times I've tried em?[/b]
Psi Shield was discussed here a few times. It wasn't fully implemented in the game (like several other items), the developers either lacked time to finish it or phased it out at some late development stage.

Quote:
Tip2- If you dont want organisations to get angry with you every time you fight a battle with the UFO's, set all your vehicles to LOW altitude, henceforth your shots shoot upward and will rarely hit a building and the ufo's missed shots will hit buildings causing the organisations to be unfriendly towards the alien scum and in some cases automatically makes the organisations more simpathetic to your cause.[/b]
Yes, but remember that all damage to the city will drop your score.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #654
Robby Gerrity

I am well into a game on super human (just finished trashing the second alien building), but I have noticed an unusual event that I've seen before. For the last couple of weeks, many of the aliens (arthropods and skeletoids) have not had any equipment. The same was true of many aliens in the building. While this makes it very easy to slaughter them all (especially fun using the Marsec power sword), it makes the game a lot less fun.

Has anyone else witnessed this? What seems to cause this alien equipment shortage? It would make sense if I had destroyed their manufacturing building already, but I haven't.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #655
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Maybe they are stockpiling to finish you off, the easy battles are to make you feel confident and powerless when they deploy all their firepower :P.

No, never heard of something like that until now. In my superhuman game, i blowed near the half of alien city and still found they armed to teeth. And still have many problems with that Megaspawn that can kill a whole team if caught uncover or ambushed.

Another point against flying low to avoid damage, is that the destruction to the city will result in the economically collapse of Goverment so no more Senate fund and you will have to survived from seized weaponary (forget of use heavy weapons in general and ambush or semidefensive tactics) or from selfmanufactured weaponary (each veteran trooper killed will result in the lost of a very valuable amor).
Old 08-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #656
lololycos
Lurker

I've a problem my 1995 versio of x-com apocalypse dont work on windows xp.an Someone help me precisely please.(Note:I dont speak english verry well so can you use simple vocabulary)
lololycos is offline                         Send a private message to lololycos
Old 08-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #657
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Maybe someone can speak your native language and sent you a pm in it. Anyway, tryed DosBox?
Old 13-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #658
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

As you already found out, trying to run the game in plain Windows is not a good idea.

I strongly suggest you use DosBox or VDMSound. You can get them from our programs page.

-- Reed Richards
Old 14-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #659
Guest_mike_*

hey i have a couple of questions and some suggestions
first suggestions dont move too far away from where you start and if you do so try to get infront of doors and acces sites this way the aliens will get out and get killed as soon as they appear in your screeen
second to get the toxin c you must research allthe biped aliens (the ones with two legss i dont remember all of them just go to google and type x com apocalypse strategy and click where it shows the gamespot page)

and during combat save the game when you start the combat then as soon as you feel that you are making good progress save the game again (at the start of the combat with your agents you will now know where the aliens are and plan your strategy that is how i do it ) and if any of your agents die just laod the game again where you felt that you where making good progress and replan your strategy

now questions how can i get the disruptor weapons for my crafts (i capture the fast atack ship but that was it i couldnt get their disruptor weapon i dunno why) and any good strategies to get more money by atacking sirio (i have a bad time atacking them and no psiclone only one peer atack not worthy for my agents )

Old 15-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #660
laiocfar
NOD Commander

About disruption weapon, it doesnt worth to be used.
About raids, for psiclone look in the gangs and there are plenty of tactics above. Anyway i prefer the risk and the emotion of losing sometimes, its not like i get happy when an elite squad get caught in close formation by missile lauchers of the stupid guard of a temple but it has to happens sometimes.