Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
...blah blah ....
Yeah, you're right, of course, sometimes I think that chemo I got made a chaotic sponge of my brain, no Dx in W3, damn. Prob confused with WinG and that horrific direct draw .... ah well, good thing once in a while someone calls me back a bit, THX for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufetto View Post
Well, if it helps, I used to play it on a W9X system back in the days, but now I've installed it on that emulated Win3.X and at least the installation went correctly. It only asks me for that DDRAW.DLL file when I try to launch the game.
If it asks for ddraw.dll it means DirectX is needed.
First thought it could be a version problem but as Fifth correctly stated no DX in Win3, minimal W9x, first DirectX files were shipped with W95 and onwards.
Just to be complete: some half baked attempts were made to get DirectX working in Win3 but they all failed, as Win3 still relied on the old MsDos heritage of using DMA etcetera long story, and MS never supported bringing DirectX to Win3, maybe for good reasons (and they wanted to promote-sell W95...)

Quote:
Now, please bear with me, as I'm probably thick-minded on these things, but... you mention that mounting c: on dosbox after installing the old DirectX, in a way that looks like you're implying that I should install that DirectX not on actual windows, but only on the dosbox folder? Is that so? If so, how do I do it?
Take a look at the tutorial section, those are written for a reason, to help beginners, not much use that I repeat everything here .....

Ah well, repeat same stuff ance again?
Basics:
You always mount a FOLDER as virtual C:, what folder where folder depends a bit of that OS you're on, again: tutorial section.
You always run those old files IN dosbox, that way your main system is safe as dosbox can only access-alter-read-write-whatever do with files on the virtual C
How you do that? Move-copy the files in your virtual C folder, launch dosbox with that folder mounted as virtual C and run files in dosbox.
(Also means: close dosbox and restart after adding things into virtual C via Windows, cache needs refresh, or read manual, there are other ways)

Quote:
I can't find any readme file. But I've downloaded the game off the internet because it's been a lot of years and I don't remember at all where my game copy is. It does look like it's the full, working game, tho.
Nope it probably isn't the full install media but missing a lot.
There is no game released with a least a 'readme' with tech info about OS-sys requirements.
As said before, early games always included (or mostly) the needed files to run the game, as in those days it was too costly to have to download MBs of extra files, and conn wasn't really reliable neither, so there were on the CD.
Etcetera, makes your downloaded thing is a (poor?) rip.

Possible remaining solutions:
Or comp settings as Fifth said, but I doubt it will work, W7 64 is kinda nitpicking about those matters.
Or VPC2007/W9X or Xp ..... probably your best shot.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 13-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Oh man, I think I'm screwed.
I don't have any setup of Windows XP or anything, that OP just came bundled with my old pc.

(Because yes, it's confirmed: I asked my brother and the game run on Windows XP.)

That's such a bummer. I thought perhaps I could get the game to work on that Win 3.X emulation since it gets installed.
Old 13-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
dosraider
Dismembered.

Depending of what ver of W7/64 you have you maybe can get XPMode for free from MS ... however in my opinion XPMode isn't really suited for gaming purposes ... a bit too restricted.

On the other hand VPC2007+W98Se or maybe even better VPC2007+XP should work.
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28390
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=25508
It ain't that hard to set up a VPC2007 virtual PC, just follow instructions.

..... however, problem could be you have a rip, dunno if game has software/D3D mode, D3D won't run in VPC or really badly, software mode usually do run fine for gaming, if software mode has been ripped .... aie, screwed again....

BTW, did you at least try what Fifth said about compability? Ya never know ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
..blah blah................
Metal and Lace 2 can run on Windows XP - I've done so myself some years ago - so the first thing you should try is running it in compatibility mode (context menu on the game's executable -> Properties -> Compatibility).
If that doesn't work, there is another solution: you'll need Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and a setup disk for an older Windows version - anything from 95 to XP. MSVPC allows you to create a virtual machine and install an older version of Windows inside that, then run the game in it.....blah blah......
Problem is I can't find any relevant info about this game, even not on Dosfreak's comp list ... PC Game Compatibility List

As you mentioned 'downloaded', I may hope you scanned that download for nasty things with an updated avir-malware-spyware/somethingware scanner, yes?

And honestly, you didn't lose your precious time setting up dosbox/W3, is handy to have around and most W3 era games run fine in it....

[Edit]
Of course proposed solution of getting some old XP laptop still stands and can be an easy way out.
Dunno how it is where you live but here in Belgium those things are getting dropped by piles in the trash, many of them still working OK, just completely outdated ..... and as MS will drop support shortly, plenty ol'small office gear is to salvage nowadays.
Even if a laptop isn't really my thing for gaming, plug in an external keyb+mouse and you're set.
If you have enough room an ol' XP desktop is even better .......
Just think about it for a sec.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 13-02-2014 at 06:54 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 13-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Yes, I forgot to mention: I did try the compatibility trick, but it didn't work. Would've been too simple to be true. :P

Trying to come up with a solution, I realize the pc game is actually a port from a PC38 version. So I assumed if I found the original PX38 rom and played it with a PC38 emulator, it'd work.

It wasn't easy to find the rom, but it appears to be in this torrent:

http://torrentz-proxy.com/31b33735c0...cae4c4ee2280cd

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=320480&showfiles=1

Here's the problem, tho: there's about 280.000 files or more in that torrent, and there's no option to deselect them all when I try to launch it. Is there a way to deselect them all except Metal & Lace 2?
Old 14-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #15
gufetto
Forum hobbit

AN IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I've downloaded another, bigger version of the game, which isn't ripped but the real deal... and it works.

BUT: I still get the error. I launch the game, it works perfectly, I select my character, but once the fight begins the game closes and I get "Direct Draw error"...
Old 14-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #16
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Ok, it won't let me edit my post for some reason, which is annoying, because I had edited it and wrote a lot of stuff.

I've tried everything, even going into regedit and altering stuff, but nope.

So here is the link to the full game upload:

http://www.filestube.to/eqXqebudKuKS6tl3qnp76n

The game also contains a folder called directx but I can't get it to work. If I copy the folder inside the game folder, everything crashes.
I've tried to just install the directx in the installer, but the installer refuses to do so.

Can someone, perhaps, take a few minutes to download this and give it a look?
Old 14-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #17
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Can someone, perhaps, take a few minutes to download this and give it a look?
Come on, seriously, 5 parts download via mediafire will take what .... 5 days ??? Don't push it will ya, provide some serious download from host with 1 link and maybe , and that's a big maybe I'll take a look.
That game isn't really appealing

But already have a good idea what's going on: Win7 64, if the game installs in /prog files (x86)/, now those are protected in win7 64, try to install in something as /users/your name/mace/ or something, if you have a D partition even better, try on D partition.
If fails, now it's probably that '64' that is to blame and you're screwed indeed.
VPC2007 it will be.

One last remark, I wouldn't be so eager to try to install all kind of old apps and obsolete sysfiles on my new PC.
VPC2007 is more secure.

[Edit]
Just thought about the fact you prob don't know but in Win 64 16b softs won't work.
As the game is I think W9X installer is most likely 16b or has partial 16b code sections.
Happens more with W9X softs.
Some -(in fact plenty)- even had dos based code somewhere, devs laziness you could say.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 14-02-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 14-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Come on, seriously, 5 parts download via mediafire will take what .... 5 days ??? Don't push it will ya, provide some serious download from host with 1 link and maybe , and that's a big maybe I'll take a look.
That game isn't really appealing

What? It took me literally five minutes to download the entire game. What are you saying?

In any case, I've tried to make a .bat file which orders to kill explorer.exe when launching the game. Still no changes. It's good, however, that I am learning a lot of tech stuff in two days, given that I had no idea how to make a .bat file or how to access regedit before.
BUT I AM SO LOSING MY PATIENCE.

Odd thing is, by accessing my directx data I can see DirectDraw: Enabled....
Old 14-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #19
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
What? It took me literally five minutes to download the entire game. What are you saying?
I get: no parallel downloads allowed from same IP, must be a location restriction or whatever, dunno and won't spend time on that advertising infested site t osolve it. ( can be my 'popup blocker' interferes, who knows, and no won't disable it, not interested in god knows what sex live cam ads .... *sigh*)....

If you're really so eager to play that game, why don't you try VPC2007+Xp ????? Honestly: that would be my first move anyway.
Or VPC2007+W98SE .....
But I guess VPC+XP would be easier for you, W98 had its own headache suppliers ......

Also, you buy a 64b OS and want to play obsolete games that were designed for W9X on it ....., it's like going with a new car to the shop and want them to mount your granddads old spare tires on your new shiny car ... just saying

[Edit]
Asked a mate with mediacrap account to down game for me.
Result:

Runs flawless in VPC2007+W98SE ( and will be the same in VPC2007+XP).
So that will be your easiest solution.
FYI: install updated DX from 'directx' folder on CD BUT:uncheck D3D acceleration option, VPC doesn't support that kind of hardware.
All in VPC of course.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 14-02-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 14-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #20
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Here's the problem, tho: there's about 280.000 files or more in that torrent, and there's no option to deselect them all when I try to launch it. Is there a way to deselect them all except Metal & Lace 2?
Depends on the torrent client you are using. There definitely is an option to do that in uTorrent.
Quote:
I don't have any setup of Windows XP or anything, that OP just came bundled with my old pc.
Disc images for Windows 95, 98 and XP are relatively easy to *ahem* obtain if you know where to look.
Quote:
Odd thing is, by accessing my directx data I can see DirectDraw: Enabled....
The problem isn't with not having DirectX or not having it enabled.
It's with the game relying on a different - much older - version of the API .
You could try disabling DirectDraw and seeing if that changes the game's reaction - it's known to fix similar issues with certain old games, but there is no certainity as to whether it will work here (and obviously you'll want to set it back on after you've finished playing the game)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman