Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-01-2008, 03:30 AM   #521
pepe4158

Yeah Scat...the Drakes are nice n move fast on the grid, speed is a must sometimes.
But did you ever put flight on a wyrm?......thats fun...a hard hitting unit that moves fairly fast over terrain....as good as a sorcery drake easily I think.
Say another...I have to respectfully disagree that a summoned unit is as good as a fully developed demi-god hero especially the best heroes...and I will explain a little what I mean.
After plaaying a while I noticed some heroes were better then others, I thought it was their names....but thats not it ..its their ATTRIBUTES lol
I divide them into 3 classes for my own understanding
The fighter who meles, the ranged firing mages, and the archers

True some are a mix but those are the three classes I think you want to look at

For your fighters...its the ALL important agility attribute....I have had high level fighters with agility single handly kill a drake....if you get a champion look to be supliment your agility with blademaster, might or constitution

For your mages ....the all important ARCANE ability....this governs how hard your hero shots hurt others.....they mix it up each game....the one constant is Malleus always seems to come with arcane (maybe im wrong their) n plus he has that lethal flame strike...they tented to imbalance him a bit...hes always the hero I name as my alter ego lol

Hmm archers....dont know whats best cuz their seem to be only 4 archers...marcus, share. n the noble one ..um forgot his name....and at the champion level the one elf girl

Last edited by pepe4158; 01-01-2008 at 03:41 AM. Reason: adding
pepe4158 is offline                         Send a private message to pepe4158
Old 01-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #522
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Archers are not as good as the spell shooters though, IMHO, because with higher levels the spell shooters get a lot of magic spells and hence a lot of shots, while archers always have like 15 / 20? ammo and there's no way to increase that amount, so once the archers are drained they're useless.
As to which spell shooter is better or not, well, I prefer Warrax the Chaos Warrior, since his shots are armor piercing and thus quite more effective than those of other mages. Besides he often also has Arcane, with Agility and Might thrown in frequently, either of which is enough to make him a moving machine of destruction with good artifacts..
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 01-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #523
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

True, no summoned creature can take on a fully developed demigod hero (at least not a ranged one) but sometimes I prefer summoning a couple of creatures for the same cost as creating weapons/... for a hero.
Especially if your opponent starts casting cracks call I'd rather see a behemoth disappear than my precious mage/archer with 6000 worth of magical items
It's just a different tactic just like there are people who stick to berserkers or paladins all the way.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #524
pepe4158

Yeah Warrax rocks Scat!.....Ive never been dissapointed with him as a summons.
What I cant understand..is why they gave Malleus the flame strike spell, and not Warrax....Warrax is called the Chaos warrior for crying out loud!
The only thing I can figure is Sid didnt really know how strong a spell flame strike would be against the computer when he fills his cities full of low rank units...n Malleus can burn them all in one spell round almost.....so im a nature n life mage burning towns with chaos fire...go figure?

Yeah true, another...its a personal prefrence, summond units are the quicker way to power and dont require long drawn out carefull develoment. A high level summond unit can just go out n wop ass from day one.....where heroes demand carefull development n raise dead or rez is a must.

Yeah if hes cracked called that bites....my cheated mage almost always gets flight tho, thats the obvious counter as I have never seen cracks call work on a flying unit (unless he webs it ) What I always loved about this games is their are countless strategies and countless counters.

For example if you know you are facing a nature mage with cracks call...have your flight n counter magic (to avoid being webbed) ready.

Oh yeah....just a quick mention on units....you all know that without a doubt....the haflings are the easiest to play and get off the gound fast?.......who would have fiqured.....within the first 25 turns or so these lowly halflings could be a force to be reackoned with ...if you have slingers and a heroism spell ....yeah Frodo Baggins screwed up, he shouldnt have taken a sword against that giant spider in LoR...shouldve been a sling lol from what Ive seen of MoM
Ive cut apart a node full of phantom beasts with heroic slingers and their unbalanced lucky attribute ...for a game that prides itself with balance you can see once and a while a few slip ups Sid made in the balance as lowly halfling slingers rip apart so many units; they tend to be an I win button

If there ever was a multi-player version out....doubt ever I would definitly go with my chaos and sorcey books....one life, and take the node mastery perk....and play as the halflings, getting off the ground fast would be easy and you would be a tough kill for sure. The computer opponents can be ruthless; think how much harder humans would be tho ...so just ensuring my survival would be the key and a quick start with the halflings and the ability to defend and hit back with sorcery and chaos books would seem a must.

If you think your going to have time to develop...the dark elves seem the way to go though; The warlocks and ther doom-bolt spell can make a city impregnable....even if demigod Warrack and Malleus attacked together, they would not survive one round of multiple doom bolts hitting them, but the darkelves take sooo long to gete off the ground and grow so slowly, and their early units are piitfully weak that if a troll opponet hit you with his early units, youd be a goner.

Last edited by pepe4158; 01-01-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: adding
pepe4158 is offline                         Send a private message to pepe4158
Old 02-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #525
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

If there ever was a multi-player version out....doubt ever

No, though there was an attempt made at a Master of Magic II, about 2 years ago. A company largely known for the excellent AI of its turn-based strategy titles was approached to do it by the current holder of most Microprose licenses, Atari. The deal looked good, everybody on both sides was happy about it, and then Atari's accounting got involved. The contracts stipulated that--get this--Atari would own the code of the new game in all respects, and could do with it whatever they wished. Also that the game actually developing the game not only lost ownership of their own, completely new title, but had no say whatsoever in marketing (they currently do their own very successful online marketing), and could not produce any followups.

There were a number of other clauses that were amazing, but those were the most important. Basically, the developers were being asked to start from scratch, write a new game based on MoM's great old ideas, and that they wouldn't even own the result. They backed out swiftly.

The good news is that the company in question is now developing an RPG/strategy hybrid very similar in some respects to Master of Magic, as well as to their own current space-based strategy title. Which should go beta towards the end of this year, if all goes well--and with them, it usually does.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 02-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #526
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158 View Post
If you think your going to have time to develop...the dark elves seem the way to go though; The warlocks and ther doom-bolt spell can make a city impregnable....even if demigod Warrack and Malleus attacked together, they would not survive one round of multiple doom bolts hitting them
The two heroes would just need to have a Magic Immunity spell cast on them, either before entering the city (enchantment) or after entering (unit spell), or to wear artifacts that give that ability, and the city would stand no chance whatsoever. Only Paladin units (High Men) might help there out.
No, against a strong hero with mighty artefacts and ranged attack (like Warrax) there's only two potential threats in the game, and that's 3-4 Sky Drakes or 5-6 Fire Drakes (movement speed dependent), once they reach him he's fried meat.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #527
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I've heard the same news, not sure whether they would include a multiplayer section though, seeing how they didn't implement that in their space-based strategy title?
In any case it would be great to see something MoM-like with improved AI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
... The good news is that the company in question is now developing an RPG/strategy hybrid very similar in some respects to Master of Magic, as well as to their own current space-based strategy title. Which should go beta towards the end of this year, if all goes well--and with them, it usually does.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #528
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_guest View Post
I've heard the same news, not sure whether they would include a multiplayer section though, seeing how they didn't implement that in their space-based strategy title?
In any case it would be great to see something MoM-like with improved AI.
I have no idea about the multiplayer aspect, but the CEO did tell me that there would be a ton of things being evaluated by the computer AI beyond the next moves, while you're making your turn. He said the current space title has only the tip of that.

It would also go into open beta, so we'd all get to test it. This sounds very good, indeed.

My only criticism is that he wanted to avoid multiple alliances. I'd like to see it in, but he did say that if players really wanted it, the feature would be included. His company has a history of doing just that, so we'll see.

Last edited by Borodin; 03-01-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 04-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #529
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Well, I guess we're talking about the same company... Their current space title is already a hard AI nut to crack except for a few holes that could be exploited; it would be impressive to see an even better one. It's already a huge leap forward from the usual cheating AI's.

True, I haven't seen any software company so far that listened so closely to their fanbase/customers, which makes it of course all the more promising if some of us can influence the development, learning from titles such as MoM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:57 AM   #530
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Maybe you would be interested to share the name of this wonderful and glorious company with us poor fans who have no idea?