Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #201
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Actually...you don't. I learned this mistake the hard way. Unless your character is unbelievably strong, you do not want them wearing full plate mail. You'll see it right away too...your character will barely be able to move, and their melee strikes go way down.
Success to hit does not increase or decrease, depending upon armor type. On the other hand, if your character is over-encumbered at any time--whatever armor they may be wearing--then their to-hit score will decline. Maybe that was what you saw with plate. Since it weighs so much, it's the first armor that's going to encumber a character. I don't even give full plate to my one character that has typically maxed out strength and endurance. There's just too much chance of a wound in battle that takes endurance down below the encumbrance threshold.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 30-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #202
urgent26

DARN, I was not able to download this for the longest time - freaked out when my last PC died with all the abandonware that I collected.

I'm a pure melee believer in this, although the potions do work magic.
urgent26 is offline                         Send a private message to urgent26
Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #203
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgent26 View Post
DARN, I was not able to download this for the longest time - freaked out when my last PC died with all the abandonware that I collected.

I'm a pure melee believer in this, although the potions do work magic.
Don't neglect the value of prayer. While melee works in, well, battle, prayer works extremely well in situations: events that occur along the road, certain sites, and situations where your people suddenly find themselves up against much more powerful forces of Evil (with a capital E). Then, you need that divine support. I'd go so far as to say that there are's at least one instance where you can't win without prayer.

Think: charbroiled.
Old 19-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #204
Vinius
Lurker

Default No Save Option

Hope you folks can help me out. I downloaded and got the game running. However, I can't get the save menu option to become selectable. It's grayed out, even when camping or at an inn. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I'm using Vista and running it through DOSBox. I think the directory it's in is actually spelled 'DARKLANDS'. Is it possible the long file name is the issue?

Thank you.
Vinius is offline                         Send a private message to Vinius
Old 19-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #205
dosraider
Dismembered.

1) rename it to drklands or so ....

2) On Vista it's advisable to mount a virtual C: that's located in your own folders, otherwise dosbox will be denied writing rights to your virtual C
Example:
c:\users\your name\oldgames
your game folder then should be:
c:\users\your name\oldgames\drklands\
Mount line becomes:
mount c "c:\users\your name\oldgames"
c:
cd drklands

3)I would even advise to install dosbox IN your personal folder, avoids all kinds of problems editing dosboxconf and such ....

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 19-11-2008 at 09:29 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 29-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #206
Robsie
Forum hobbit

After losing my characters in a streak of unlucky battles, i am starting anew.

But this time i am trying the roleplay a lonesome hero. After getting my character "club-ing" bandits inside of his starting town, i begin to wonder.

I noticed the enemy party size is related to my own, as my hero is so far facing enemy party of .... 1 bandit each.

So does that game adaptation continue all along the gameworld, or is solo-ing an impossible task at some point and the enemy will be too numerous at a same time ?

On a 1 on 1 battle scale i imagine already solo-ing a Raubritter will be insanely difficuly if done early, as in my previous games even with a 4 characters party, before they began to have stronger armors, a completely armored Raubritter was often be able to kill my party all by himself, unless i was extremely lucky.

Last edited by Robsie; 29-01-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Robsie is offline                         Send a private message to Robsie
Old 29-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #207
Japo
Autonomous human

I never knew enemy party size is related to your own, always played with four. I don't know if that goes for bandits or applies elsewhere--probably it applies to goons at most, not to bosses. Anyway some enemies are impossible to beat without outnumbering them. Raubritters for example but even they're not the most powerful. And the first time you face a raubritter, you'll have far inferior armour, and one on one that means death; unless you bought yours, but I don't know how could you come across that kind of money without killing raubritters, or how long could it take.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #208
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

A party of one could probably beat a raubritter if they came armed with several potions. But if they had the potions, they'd be a pretty decent alchemist, and that means sacrificing combat skills--so it would be tough, at best. Party of two could handle it, for what that's worth.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #209
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
A party of one could probably beat a raubritter if they came armed with several potions. But if they had the potions, they'd be a pretty decent alchemist, and that means sacrificing combat skills--so it would be tough, at best. Party of two could handle it, for what that's worth.
Even thus, how long would it take him to get the ingredients or the money to buy them, and what's more with a one man party?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:48 AM   #210
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

I was just pointing out that raubritters aren't that incredibly tough if your party, whatever it's size, comes well prepared. The main problem is their armor, but there are ways to counter that, both magical (potions) and mundane (the right weapons, or multiple simultaneous attacks).