Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
sgtboat
Resident Redneck

Cool Sgtboat

Not a big mystery with mine SGT is because I am a us army veteran and I was a staff sergeant when I was in. Boat is just the first 4 letters of my last name:thumbs:
sgtboat is offline                         Send a private message to sgtboat
Old 17-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #12
Halindir
Home Sweet Abandonia

Halindir..i think i was reading the lord of the rings, and playing too much warcraft some years ago, and came up with Halindir
Halindir is offline                         Send a private message to Halindir
Old 17-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #13
ianfreddie07
wat

ianfreddie07

Ian and Freddie/Freddy, my name. Freddie/Freddy is acutally a shortened version of Frederick.

07 due to 7 being my favorite number.
Old 17-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
Japo
Autonomous human

My username comes from my name + surnames.

My avatar is made up of two things, everything but the snake (the navy officer) and the snake. The navy officer is the naval advisor from Sid Meier's Colonization, here (in A. and A. Reloaded) is the only place where I've used it, and it's not the first avatar I used here (the previous one came from the same game).

I wanted to make it unique somehow instead of just the ripoff it is, but didn't know why and didn't have the talent. Then I was playing a forum game and posted, "Snakes in-vaders (Abandonia pun intended)". Then someone else (actually Lulu Jane) said in turn, "Snakes on Japofran as pun-ishment". So I drew a snake around my avatar's neck and lo, it was not so lame as is my wont, or so I thought. (And in those days of yore you could actually change your avatar without destroying the Universe in your vicinity, believe it or not.)
Old 17-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

My name is my real name
On some other sites I'm using my real name and surname.
Avatar I use here has been taken by Kosta in Sudan on the ferry crossing the river Nil.
There are two reasons I use this avatar. The first one is, that this is, in my opinion, an excellent image, the second one is, that it is completely suitable to illustrate what is my intention in building the site, which web address you can see in my signature :imsorry:

Last edited by Romano; 17-10-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 17-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #16
SlowCoder
Game freak

SlowCoder - Sort of a dumb decision, but I've been using it for a while, and am known by that name.

I'm a coder, and work on a number of web projects at work. When I'm given these projects, all other projects are removed from me, as whatever project I'm currently working on is considered "dire need". However, I am the ONLY person on the job that can do it, and we have very limited technical staff, so there are lots of complaints from outsiders who don't understand what I'm working on, who think I need to be helping them instead. Sometimes I get called "slow" because of the size of the projects, and the fact that I am the only one.

I prefer to think of it as "Low 'n Slow", rather than just "slow".
SlowCoder is offline                         Send a private message to SlowCoder
Old 17-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #17
Spoonman
Flyswatter

I'm a man. I like spoons. I also like cardboard, but Cardboardman is just not done.

Last edited by Spoonman; 17-10-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Spoonman is offline                         Send a private message to Spoonman
Old 18-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #18
DoomYoshi
Abandonia nerd

The first email I ever had was DoomYoshi at hotmail. Eventually, I forgot the password and started yoshi of doom. Any time spam became a problem I would change so I went through DeathYoshi, MechaYoshi, InvisiYoshi, etc. When I came to AB I wanted to return to my roots.

What originally gave me the idea was some kid who wrote to Nintendo Power. His email was WindYoshi. I was a copycat but decided to make it darker.

I love the name because Doom can be a verb, or it can refer to the game (neither of which is intentional).
DoomYoshi is offline                         Send a private message to DoomYoshi
Old 18-10-2008, 04:04 AM   #19
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

*Eagle of Fire sits on his rocking chair and begin to swing slowly*

What did you say? What? Oh, you want a story. Fine, fine... Let me think.

*He pauses for a little while, until one of the kids poke him and wake him up*

Huh? What are you all doing here? What? A story? Alright, alright... Can't shake you out of it huh? Here goes.

Back in the days we had computers. They were like a huge version of that little pocket computer you have there, but it was so slow that even a turtle could have won a race against it. And back in the days, those computers were so big you needed a whole room only for it. A whole room I say!

So there I was, young and mind free, and I was staring at the screen. It was the first time I logged into a BBS, you see, and the damn thing was asking me for a user name. Wha? What is a BBS you say? Don't you learn those things in school nowaday? Sheesh, teachers those days... Wha? Ah yes, BBS... They were pretty much the ancestors of that intranet you have now. Even clumsier than that pesky internet thing before it. Imagine, you had to call on a phone line to connect to a server which could only take on one user at a time! Can you imagine that? And that's not all, those packets which traveled into the phone line had to travel uphill both way to get across. Uphill both ways, I say!

So I was pretty clueless on what to pick as a username. So much in fact that I didn't even registered that name right away. I had to think about it. A call sign is not something you choose blindly, you know. It stick to you for the rest of your life. Picking a bad one is not something you want to do, I say! So... The next day I was still trying to find something good, and I was staring at the screen when the damn thing was booting up. Wha? You don't know what booting up is? Do a damn search on dinosaur systems on your intranet of yours, damnit! I'm not an living encyclopedia... Sheesh!

So, it took so long to start those pesky huge things called computers back in the days, you could actualy easily read everything which happened while the damn thing was firing up. And that's where I've found my alias: on the first line was written "Phoenix Bios". I liked it very much, and so I became known as "Phoenix". And sometimes as "Bios" too, but I didn't like it very much in the end so I've stick to "Phoenix".

It was fine for a while, but when the internet thing began to spread, it became clear that the callsing "Phoenix" was picked up by a lot of people. It wasn't original enough for my taste, I say, so I decided to change it. I tryied "Fire_Bird" for a while... But that name was also the name of a loosy popular car at the time and I rapidly became quite annoyed by car fans who continously asked me if I liked it too... So I settled for the next best thing: Eagle of Fire.

Now that name was original. Next to nobody had that name back in the days, and it's still pretty much the case today too. I'm pretty proud of it too. Proud I say!

Wha? What do you mean this is not a story? You ingrate kids, go play in your intranet thing and get lost. Grand'pa want to rest now...

Sheesh... Ingrate kids... *mumbles mumbles* ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.....
Old 18-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #20
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Impenetrable wall of text!
You played too much Age of Mythology. Just get over it. :bleh:

Anyway, I was about to register on my first forums. So, I jsut hit the keyboard with my hands. Thus was gufu, created. Hey, it sound smusculine enough. 1992 is usually added when gufu is too short. Never capitalised.