Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-06-2005, 02:42 AM   #1
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Decided to cancel playing for Faery Tale Adventure 2 for now, I opted to play Darkstone, a Diablo clone by Delphine Software. I find it quite addictive. The graphic looks more cartoony than Diablo's, and I like it. One thing that bothers me is that I can't move my saved game from one computer to another computer (I'm playing single-player campaign). It seems there are probably tools to help me do so, but instead of transferring the individual characters, I can only overwrite the file. Anyway, good and addictive game.

I was wondering if anybody else has played this game too? What's your impression of this game?
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 20-06-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

rpg and strategy games are more... nice when they are 2d rendered (like diablo), 3d is good for nothing in games like this and it slows computer, and graphic is worse 2!!!

Old 20-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Yobor
Hero Gamer

I played this game for quite a while. The only thing I hates is that you have to eat food :-(
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 21-06-2005, 01:17 AM   #4
rabadi

That part is not too bad once you learn forrester and/or food spell. The part I rather dislike is getting older (and losing stats because of that). I also miss a feature where I can turn unwanted loot into gold (unless there is already a spell like that I haven't learned/found out?).
Old 21-06-2005, 01:25 AM   #5
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

I found it rather boring, but to be honest, that's been my reaction to the horde of Diablo and its clones. Still, if you want action, I suppose Darkstone's as good as any other.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 21-06-2005, 09:31 AM   #6
Koen
Game Wizzard

I've played the demo for months. I liked the fact that the maps are changing every time you play it.
Koen is offline                         Send a private message to Koen
Old 21-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I have tried it on PSX. It was a quite boring 3D-Diablo.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 28-06-2005, 06:17 AM   #8
rabadi

Finished playing the game for the third time last night. Overall I like it quite much although it is definitely not the best Diablo clone out there. The 3D perspective does not bother me that much, I can always zoom in/out and rotate the camera to my liking, so for me it is a nice change from static 2D isometric Diablo view.

There are 100 saving slots, and I can save at anytime. After finishing one run of the game, I can use my characters to play Darkstone again at higher level. As Koen said, the maps change everytime (well, may not be everytime, not too sure about this since I have only played 3 times, but nevertheless there is some random thing going on), and so you can get different quests.

The monsters do not respawn, so I enjoy the feeling of "clearing the area from monsters". Diablo fans who enjoy having respawn monsters may not like this, but for me it's not a problem.

As I mentioned above, getting older is one feature of the game I don't really like, but then again it is no longer a problem once I can afford to buy potion of youth. The need to eat is also no problem once I learn the forester skill and food spell. Having the magic door spell is also nice, saving me from running back to town to sell my old equipments. I still have not found any spells related to turning unwanted loot into gold, though. The price of spells and amulets can cost a fortune at times, but they are still affordable once you collect enough gold.

A nice game, I recommend it. If this game ever becomes abandonware in the future, I'll volunteer to write a review for it
Old 28-06-2005, 06:45 AM   #9
xenphn
Forum hobbit

It's just a bad game.
I don't like the graphics, and the gameplay is much worse than in other Diablo-Clones.
Even games like NOX are better.
xenphn is offline                         Send a private message to xenphn
Old 28-06-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
rabadi

To each his own, I guess :P Fine, let me take back the recommendation part. The graphics are cartoony, and for me it's a nice change from realistic graphics once in a while. I guess you either like them or hate them.

I have not played NOX, so I can't comment on that.

Well, since you said Darkstone's gameplay is much worse than in other Diablo Clones, may I know what are these Diablo clones you meant? I'm still in the mood of playing similar games, so if you can recommend some other than NOX, I'll try.