Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Anon2001
Default So let me see if i have this straight

So this website....takes games that are now in the open and not under any sort of copyright and sells them? does anyone else think this looks alot like scamming? if the games are no longer copyrighted it means they enter into a GPL license GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE ( As in free for anyone) this website should be shut down.

Old 31-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

No, we don't sell anything.
Old 31-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Not to mention these games aren't free of copyright either. They creators just don't sell them anymore and don't care about them too much. The games that are being sold by the current owner we link to, rather a few of the game pages link to GOG. So no you don't have it straight, but now you do.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 31-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions page to clear up any confusion you may still have

http://www.abandonia.com/en/faq
Old 31-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

FAQ doesn't actually answer to that, so here's a mock-up question and aswer:

Do I have to pay or donate to be able to download anything?

No. Never. You dont have to pay subscription fee's or hidden costs, donate, click ads, contribute, collect pieces of eight or anything like that in order to download games or extras.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 31-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I thought we already covered it in the FAQ before. Odd.

Added that and several related ones we got through the contact form.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Thumbs down

Anon2001, you don't have this straight. You have everything beyond wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon2001 View Post
So this website....takes games that are now in the open and not under any sort of copyright
No. We take games that are no longer sold by any legitimate source, no longer supported, and whose owners are no longer interested in protecting their copyrights.
Contrary to your belief, these games ARE still copyrighted. Depending on the country, copyrights on media can last for anywhere between six decades to over a century... and it's counted since their last use by the owner.
Quote:
and sells them?
We do not sell any games. What gives you the idea?
Quote:
if the games are no longer copyrighted it means they enter into a GPL license GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE ( As in free for anyone)
This is not how GPL works. Your argument is invalid.
Quote:
this website should be shut down.
Because we make sure old junk nobody else bothers to sell, support or even protect their own interest in doesn't get permamently lost? Wow. That's harsh.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

I was going to answer with a joke, but I'm starting to think that the topic is more serious than we may think.

Please Anon2001, tell us what made you think that we sell games and scam people.

Have you been forced to pay to download and play our games? If so how? Have you been redirected here from another site?
Old 31-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Japo
Autonomous human

You don't have to pay a dime to download anything, and we hope the situation doesn't deteriorate further.

If you have any concern about the website please contact the owners via the contact form. They won't read the community forums.

As Dave says, in the case that you were re-directed by a third party we would like to know about it.

You're quite wrong about the GNU GPL. When a copyright does expire (in most countries), the work goes into the "public domain", not into the GPL or any other license. The GPL imposes obligations on the licensee, and it expires when the copyright it rests on does, just like any other license.
Old 31-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I'm surprised you even take a one post guest seriously. Chances are that he'll never get back here. Especially since nothing he said even made sense.