Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-12-2004, 05:53 AM   #11
Mucman

My numerical analysis exam kicked my arse! I guess I shouldn't have been lurking around here
Mucman is offline                         Send a private message to Mucman
Old 09-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #12
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Serves you right!
Anyway my gamingattitude changed mostly because I used to play the games together with my brother.
We would solve it ourselves and have an excellent time doing so.
But now I see my brother about 2 days every 3 or 4 weeks. So now I play alone and am thus more prone to consult a walkthrough for some games (instead of brainstorming over the problem/puzzle with my brother)

Games aren't exactly bad these days, or in any way worse than back in the day. It just a pity that we are now in an age that pretty much every type of game has been discovered. Sounds and Music has reached a high too (just look at games like Myst III: Exile and Myst IV: Revelation and Fable which now use orchestras for their mainthemes and such) the boundries of 3d are pushed forward.
But it appears that most developpers have left gameplay at a point that makes a balance between quality of the game and quantity of the game sold. And with a heap of people buying games for shock-value and such this optimum isn't always that great.

Not many dare to explore new territories because, whilst it could be a great succes, it could also become a good game with high production values, but with an average gaming audience. Just look at Beyond Good and Evil (the game, not the book by Friedrich Nietzsche) pretty graphics, wonderfull sounds and music, great story and gameplay. Yet the game didn't really do all that well.

To me Beyond Good and Evil reminded me of the games i used to play with my brother.

And I think thats the problem: there are still quality games, but they rarely get a lot of media attention, or they don't jump out as much with games that have got Blood and Gore written all over them in big flashy 3d letters.
Beyond Good and Evil is a strange example because it did get media attention (mostly after release) it did get good reviews and it was in almost all the Top 10 charts of Games of The Year.

Anyway I'm off to study my history exam.
Vienna congress here I come!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:35 AM   #13
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well I am also procrastinating. I have a chemistry assignment due tomorrow, it's 9.30pm, haven't even started and I'm posting in here. LOL

I'm gone.

But anyway I prefer games of today. My favourite games are FPS. And there weren't very many 10 years ago. Especially ones with full mouse look. And there are great FPS games out there now. Unfortunatly I haven't played one for a couple of months. :not_ok:
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 09-12-2004, 10:07 AM   #14
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Strange, I think I remember reading a review about Beyond Good and Evil, and if I remember well the game was really poorly rated, was stated in the review that it was a complete ripoff of Black and White and was not even able to beat it any aspect...
Old 09-12-2004, 10:15 AM   #15
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Dec 9 2004, 11:07 AM
[...]stated in the review that it was a complete ripoff of Black and White and was not even able to beat it any aspect...
thats odd because Beyond Good and Evil was an adventure/sneaking game with some action elements while Black and White was a Strategy/god game
Old 09-12-2004, 11:35 AM   #16
Data
retired

I think there is a huge difference. When I was younger playing games was a nice way to "kill" time. But now there is always that little voice in my head reminding me of "better" things to do.

I don't think the quality of the games matters (although it has gone down in the last years), most important is your ability to enjoy the games.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:12 PM   #17
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Data@Dec 9 2004, 12:35 PM
I think there is a huge difference. When I was younger playing games was a nice way to "kill" time. But now there is always that little voice in my head reminding me of "better" things to do.

Wouldn't that be due to the fact that you are now older and have more responsibilities that take up your time. As a kid you don't have many responsibilities, freeing up more of your time for games.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 09-12-2004, 12:28 PM   #18
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Dec 9 2004, 10:35 AM
Well I am also procrastinating. I have a chemistry assignment due tomorrow, it's 9.30pm, haven't even started and I'm posting in here. LOL

Now 12.30 am. Haven't even got one page. This really isn't going very well. I also have a test tomorrow which I need to study for.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:30 PM   #19
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I just discovered this piece of beauty today and I must say that, while it also fits in the theme of this thread, I agree with him at 100%.

Quote:
I'm tired of playing the same games over and over while being told how 'revolutionary' they are. If we don't do something about it, then developers sure as hell won't. As long as we keep swallowing their tripe, they'll keep shoving it down our throats. This is capitalism. They aren't going to sell us things they know we won't buy. So how do we tell them what we want? Support games like Fallout, Torment, and System Shock 2. Why can't we see similar innovation on consoles? And don't tell me it's the technological constraints of the console market. The PS2 for example can launch surface to air missiles, so why can't it do what these games do and did years ago?
So true...

Linkety likality link.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:02 PM   #20
Mad-E-Fact
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroggy@Dec 9 2004, 10:10 AM
To me Beyond Good and Evil reminded me of the games i used to play with my brother.
Same here. That game managed to bring back some of the excitement I felt when playing games back then, if only for a short while...

There's hardly a game nowadays that can get me hooked to the screen like the old ones used to. I still play a lot, and have good fun with new games, but I don't get so obsessed with a game like I quite often was when I was younger. I remember camping the kiosk on every last friday of a month to get the newest issue of the Amiga Joker (best gaming mag of all times), still have all of them ranging back to 1991. Ahhh... *dwells in memories*
Mad-E-Fact is offline                         Send a private message to Mad-E-Fact