Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
TheVoid
Home Sweet Abandonia

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 25-01-2008 at 03:01 PM.
TheVoid is offline                         Send a private message to TheVoid
Old 05-06-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Seeing as I like the elegant C-Code examples, this would be a perfect time to point all of you to a version of Othello written for the Internation Obfscated C Code Contest where a guy named Lievaart managed to cram a AI logrythm for Othello into 1k (1024 characters or less).
The Code
A little larger that plays a little better
The description file
Even if you don't code you should be able to at least appreciate the elegance and effort of making this happen. This is the sort of thing that inspired my sig(s).
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 05-06-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

How do i make the code work? Is there a way without any special programs? Great game by the way, and all in 3 kb, now officially the smallest game on the site! ive got the original boardgame somewhere...
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 05-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Jun 5 2006, 06:43 AM) [snapback]234397[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
How do i make the code work? Is there a way without any special programs? Great game by the way, and all in 3 kb, now officially the smallest game on the site! ive got the original boardgame somewhere...
[/b]
...?

If by special programs you mean "compiler" then no. The code requires a complier and I would recomend if you have never used a complier not to start with this othello code. In getting it to fit in 1k the interface suffered.

If, instead, you'd like to start somewhere better, look to this thread. It's got programs that are easier to use, links to a simple compiler to use, and written by a hansome, studly genious.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:10 AM   #5
Scarface
Newbie.... Not!

I used to play a NES version of Othello. Really simple, fun and addictive at the same time. It's worth the download.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guesst @ Jun 6 2006, 01:28 AM) [snapback]234476[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
If by special programs you mean "compiler" then no. The code requires a complier and I would recomend if you have never used a complier not to start with this othello code. In getting it to fit in 1k the interface suffered.

If, instead, you'd like to start somewhere better, look to this thread. It's got programs that are easier to use, links to a simple compiler to use, and written by a hansome, studly genious.
[/b]
Wheres the genious? i cant find him :blink: nah just kidding :bleh: hehe i still have alot to learn about all this newfangled technology. Stupid IT classes at school are useless, we're learning to use gamemaker at the moment, as if thats gunna help us in the future... <_<
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 07-06-2006, 12:17 AM   #7
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Jun 6 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]234704[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Stupid IT classes at school are useless, we're learning to use gamemaker at the moment, as if thats gunna help us in the future... <_<
[/b]
Not that this is even remotely on topic anymore, but considering that everything is taking a visual direction, it's not that unfeasable to assume that tools like gamemaker will be the tools of choice in the future. I find it an annoying trend. Remember Logo? The "programming language" that allowed you to make pretty pictures by programming a little triangle called a turtle to move around the screen? It was so limited in it's scope but marketed as a programming language so it was bought up by schools by the bushel. I mean, Robot Odyssey (oooh, two shameless self plugs in one thread) was more of a logical programming interface than that. (And visual too. Woooo)

Limiting the scope of a language drives me crazy. Why spend a year learning a program that only lets you make one type of program? Why not just teach them to use the Steam engine and have hem program Half-Life 2 mods for a semester and call it programming? That way when they get to the working world they'll ask "I wonder if I could modify a sniper rifle to automate my payroll process."

Me, I'm all about the basics. C, C++, C#, Java, hell even VB, I hate it, but it does let you program database type application, automate tasks, and even make games. So why limit?