Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #21
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

In case someone find this:
I'm great fan of Re2. I opened every nitty-bitty extras, beaten even To-Fu. Got A rank for Hunk. Finished the game with only a handgun.

But one thing is still a mystery before me after all these years: HOW TO GET AN "S RANK"?

The manual says it can be achieved in the Arrange mode, but nothing else seems sure.
I'd ask CapCom directly, but their system doesn't allow me to register (their system doesn't send me the email with the activation link).

If anyone could help me out, please, do it!
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #22
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/adventure/residentevil2/hints.html
S Rank: Beat the game in 1:30. Use only One herb. don't use any weapon upgrades, no special weapons (like the R. Launcer) and don't pick a weapon up more than one time, like if you pick up the shot gun from the weapon owner, don't go and get it on the police station.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #23
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
Unfortunatelly I could link you other versions of that kind of description. Like:
http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/504/rankings.html
Quote:
Complete the game without picking up any ink ribbons, do not pick up any F. aid sprays, do not use any special weapons, complete the scenario in under 2 1/2 hours, and pick up every EX file you happen across. Doing so will earn you the privileged "Rank S"!
I just don't know which to be trusted.

Also for the version you linked:
What does "one herb" means? Call me a powergamer, but I can think many things:
- only one TYPE of herbs (like 3 green herbs mixed also fits)
- only one herb PER USE (like single green herbs or single blue herbs)
- use herbs ONE TIME (any herb. Even a brown powder, but only once throughout the entire mission)
- use only one single herb (like 1 unmixed green or blue herb)

Can you confirm (not guessing!) any of the above?
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 02-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #24
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

There was a wlkthrough in an old Polish games magazine... I think it mentioned the rank requirements at some point.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
Now I can officiall confirm that the description in the link is FALSE (or at least not complete).
I've just beaten Leon A scenario in 01:13:XX, used only 1 green herb, saved 3 times (it wasn't among the factors mentioned, but better be on the safe side), and the weapons I used were: handgun (did not upgraded) + SMG (NOT the bonus weapon but the one from the armory).
Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #26
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

The IGN link the one you gave is more than likely the correct one. I know my Uncle got the S rank, and the way to do it was along the lines of no saves, certain time, and no first aid sprays. It also says not to use special weapons, those being items that take up two item slots.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 02-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #27
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
The IGN link the one you gave is more than likely the correct one. I know my Uncle got the S rank, and the way to do it was along the lines of no saves, certain time, and no first aid sprays. It also says not to use special weapons, those being items that take up two item slots.
Yes, but as I said, there are multiply versions of telling how to get an S rank, involving things from these factors:
- no saving
- finding all files
- no healing OR using only 1 (unmixed?) herb OR using only 1 green herb
- finishing within 1:30:00 OR finishing within 2:30:00
- using non-upgraded weapons (this includes many 2-hex weapons) OR using only upgradeable 1 hex weapons OR using upgradeable 1 hex weapons with the restriction of not using shotgun and magnum (or bowgun and granade launcher in Claire's case) in the same game
- not picking up two weapons from the same kind

So IGN is WRONG about all 2-hex weapons being special weapons. Special weapons are only those which are coming with unlimited ammo as basic (they are all unlockables, and stored in your stash after completion of the scenario. They are: SMG, Gatling Gun, Rocket Launcher).

Also DarthHelmet86 I think you referred on this link, not what I gave above: http://cheats.ign.com/ob2/068/000/000504.html
Quote:
Hint: Ranking System
  • To get an S ranking beat the game in under one hour and thirty minutes. You cannot use special weapons, weapon upgrades, and only one herb. Also, only pick each weapon up one time.
This time I can confirm that you won't get S rank in this way:
- weapons: handgun, shotgun, magnum (none upgraded)
- saves: 1
- healing: none
- my time was: 1:04:44

As it turned out magnum does short work on the last boss, I think next time I'll try with 0 saves, and not getting the shotgun compared to the previous try.

Last edited by twillight; 02-08-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: accidently deleted part reinserted
Old 02-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #28
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

The link I gave was this one http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/504/rankings.html thats also the one I looked at, not this other one you are now talking about. The one I am linking is from the IGN guide, that makes it pretty certain to be true. It quite clearly says that to get the best rank you CAN NOT save at all. MUST beat a certain time and not use First Aid sprays. No mention of herbs, but I would say none of them either. And only using stuff liike the Pistol and Shotgun.

I am not saying that this will get you the S rank, as the website says it will get you the A rank. Which according to them is the highest rank, now that I think about I never saw what rank my uncle got just that he got the best one. It is in fact possible that there is no S rank. The manual could be wrong, or miss translated.

So try again see what happens, you are already doing an awesome job beating the game in the hardest way possible.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 02-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #29
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
The link I gave was this one http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/504/rankings.html thats also the one I looked at, not this other one you are now talking about. The one I am linking is from the IGN guide, that makes it pretty certain to be true. It quite clearly says that to get the best rank you CAN NOT save at all. MUST beat a certain time and not use First Aid sprays. No mention of herbs, but I would say none of them either. And only using stuff liike the Pistol and Shotgun.

I am not saying that this will get you the S rank, as the website says it will get you the A rank. Which according to them is the highest rank, now that I think about I never saw what rank my uncle got just that he got the best one. It is in fact possible that there is no S rank. The manual could be wrong, or miss translated.

So try again see what happens, you are already doing an awesome job beating the game in the hardest way possible.
That link also says your time-limit is 2:30, the S rank is only avaiable for the N64 version platform only, that all 2-hex weapons lowers your rank (this is simply false, I always use the 2-hex weapons, save 3 times, use mixed herbs and get A ranking) etc. That link is NOT by any means trustable.

The manual for ALL VERSIONS (repleacementdocs.com provides them) says the same thing: there is S rank in the Arrange-mode (the one with auto-aiming), but not in the Original mode (the manual calls it European version, but the forums seems to referr on this as the USA-version. Here you have to aim manually). So I highly doubt it is a mistranslation.

But anyway thanks for your support Even If it turns out there is no S rank, I'll only pissed a little. Hey, I tried to find Akuma for ages (finished the game with using the pistol only many-many times) - until I managed to ask CapCom, what confirmed that rly was an APrilFool's joke.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #30
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I don't think there is an S rank in the game after all. My stats were this time:
- Leon A, Normal, Arrange Mode
- no special outfit (just got into my mind to mention this)
- used 1 green herb
- used pistol + magnum only, no upgrade
- time: 01:04:24
- 0 saves