Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
RIPclass
ಠ__ಠ

Default Newbie here, need a hand!

Ssso, this is kinda embarassing.
The world of programming is huge and I really want to get in, so what's the best thing to do for entering this world?Creating a game!I think it could be funny, and I can learn something (my teacher DOESN'T teach me anything but math D: ) usefull, I hope.So my idea was to create a text-based game, because I play D&D, so I have many adventures in my head, and the question is: What program do I have to use? What do you guys reccomend to me? I warn you that I can "use" a little bit of Pascal, A LITTLE BIT.
Cheers!*_*
Old 05-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You can use whatever you want. If you feel more comfortable, use Pascal to create at least something. If you want to learn programming, start thinking about C++ right away.

And this is stupid question to ask. I don't want to be hard on you, it is simply much better to start learning something then asking around what to study. Those languages are not that different. After all, algorithms are the same. Just google some basics about game developing, you will find various topics about what to use. Then google some basics or first steps into whatever you have chosen and you're on the way.

It's not that hard, really. Just be patient and don't give up and you'll end up with results.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Go with C++. Nowadays it's a more worthwhile skill set than Pascal.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

By text based you mean like a "conversational adventure", or roguelike? Because with the libraries out there nowadays it's easier to code a graphical game than a roguelike.

A text based game is one of the things you could code with any language, no matter how unsupported, ancient or experimental. But if you're asking which language you should use in general, or to be a game programmer, I'm not going there. There are thousands of these discussions in the Internet and I have nothing to add, specially since it may be obsolete in few years even if it made sense now.

You can't really judge which language you like most or is better for whatever purpose, unless you know more than one, obviously. But as Marko says, once you know how to program in general, it's easier to learn other languages. But moreover, once you know one or more languages, when you're introduced to a new one, you can judge what features look like improvements or the contrary to you. And there are lots of people that know only one language, be it C++, or Visual Basic, or Matlab, but if you really want to be a professional, there's no way you can limit your exposure to one language, otherwise what kind of professional are you? Will you wait for a job opening that requires the only language you know? Many require several.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I would say start with something you think you can handle and like, from looking it up on the interwebs. And Japo has a great point, you aren't going to be able to stop at one. My mate at school new about seven computer programming languages plus Binary....he was an awesome friend to have. Oh he was 13 just so you know.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 07-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
RIPclass
ಠ__ಠ

Thanks to all of you guys, I'm gettin' into C++; it's a bit hard to understand but (Only cause the manual it's in english :P ), I'm not giving up ^^
Old 07-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you have any questions, just ask.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

A little more advice. Please note, nevertheless, that anything you try now will be a positive experience. I do not think, contrarily to others, that it's possible to get wrong the choice of first language. But in case you are daunted after reading very long starter tutorials for C++ and you were afterwards still lost as to how to create your projects, you may want to consider this.

Bear in mind that C++ is a systems programming language. You could start your learning with an application programming language, it will be easier and you will find many less pitfalls. Once you're comfortable programming, you'll be in a better position to delve into C++ or whatever if you like. You can go for C# or Java, which are part of the family and inherit a lot of syntax from C. In addition, C++ is also too vast and lacked a coherent design process, there are many different ways to do the same things, and everybody just ends up using a subset. A newbie will find it daunting to go through even the most superficial tutorial overview of the language. C++ is also dated and syntactically awkward.
Old 19-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
jfritzyb
Forum hobbit

Arrow

If you are wanting to get started with C++, I'd recommend that you get your hands on the book Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup. He's the dude who created it so...

jfritzyb is offline                         Send a private message to jfritzyb