Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #51
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
You can also get that spell directly, but only through a cheat or Shadow Keeper. As well as the 3, usable already at level 3, Daer'Ragh spells with the effect(s) of Improved Alactricity.
never heared about that Daer'Ragh, but surely don't want to cheat. What'd be the point?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #52
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

A character with 3 charisma? Really?

Coming from a real GM, please allow me to and ...
Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #53
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Why no Globe of Invulnerability? (or what's that spell that makes you immune to certain spell levels)

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #54
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
never heared about that Daer'Ragh, but surely don't want to cheat. What'd be the point?
You can meet Daer'Ragh in Baldur's Gate 1, it's a sort of an easter egg, look here:
Daer'Ragh
As for the three spells in Baldur's Gate II with his name, look here:
Daer'Ragh spells
Sort of fun if you want to explore the limits of BG2 and to poke around what else is there. But it sure makes a spellcaster overpowered easily. Which is probably why those three spells are not available through normal playing through BG2.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #55
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

@Eagle of Fire
Ye, character with 3 CHA. Why would you need charisma? There is Ring of human Influence for the Drow City, ok? The rest is just about prices, and I could care less.

@Tomekk
There are a couple of reasons. One is, I massacre most mages outside of their view (and it is damn hard to cast anything with Incindenary Cloud under your boots). Second is, I have planetar. Third is, there is Cloak of Mirroring, and damage-spells only hit when reached the target, unlik things like imprisonment, so if I even care for some measily 10 HP-loss (Belt of Inetial Barrier is your friend too), I have time to swap equipment (only armors are fixed during battles9).

@Scatty
Oh, that guy? Ye, I remember from BG1, and the spells when I once ctrl+Q-d Elminster. Ok, they are there, category is basically the same as Summon Cow.

progression:
add to my list Prot. from magic weapons (used once, but I bet i'll be equally must-have at the Ravager and Melissan) and Mordekainen's Sword.

EDIT:
progression:
add to my list: time stop, shapeshift, energy blades, abi dhalzim's horrid whilting, sequencer, spell trigger, chain contignency, pierce shield, pierce magic, greater malison.
With a terrible combo the Ravager died in like 20 seconds!!

Last edited by twillight; 04-06-2012 at 10:10 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 05-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #56
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
@Eagle of Fire
Ye, character with 3 CHA. Why would you need charisma? There is Ring of human Influence for the Drow City, ok? The rest is just about prices, and I could care less.
Because, within the normal D&D rules, charisma is the sum of your personality and your physical beauty. Someone with a charisma of 3 would be so warped, so ridiculously psychotic that it would be night impossible to even initiate normal talk. Even forget about chit chat: people would simply find you revolting and your personality traits would even make it worse if you actually tried to communicate like "normal" people.

That's without even mentioning the fact that if you somehow manage to get down to charisma 0 (which should be fairly easy in any kind of normal D&D setting), you would either die right on the spot or fall into some kind of coma. Whichever the DM prefer.

I think it is a very good example of the limitations of such roleplaying games. The code allow you to do it in the game because it was coded that way and the developpers didn't know better... But any DM knowing his salt would never allow this to pass by without turning the game into some kind of living hell for the player in question.

Of course the stat generation of BG has absolutely nothing to do with the normal way of rolling stats... But anyways, what do you want? It was made that way for a reason, I guess.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #57
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Oh, I slmost forgot: this is final phase of the game, so stats and equipment:

THAC0: 3 with Inertial Barrier, 1 with Girdle of Frost Giant Strenght
AC: -8 with staff of magi, -6 with staff of ram
HP: 92
saves: -9 each with Staff of Magi, -7 with Staff of Ram

lore: 138 (who needs a bard, heh)

familiar: rabbit (must be the result of aligment change - started with ferret -, but shouldn't it be imp?)

equipment: staff of magi (secondary: staff of ram +6, elemental staves), Robe of Vecna, Bracers AC 3, Circlet of Netheril, Amulet of power, Ring of Gaxx, Ring of protection +3, Boots of speed, Belt of inertial barrier (secondary: belt of fire giant strenght), Cloak of NonDetection (secondary: cloak of mirroring)
Old 29-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #58
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Fighter/druid dualclass guide

I noticed the BG series is on the new config at me not the '98 old one, so just for the lol and all the discourage against druid, and 'cause I still have the save of my "no item solo playthrough" (I'm at the start of act 3), I gave some tought for solo druid build.

So single, dual or multiclass was the first question.
Dual/multi means base druid class, so let's check what we loose on druid kits:
- Avenger: druid shapeshifting abilities suck hard, so big no-no. Avenger is good in 6 character - only SoA - full legit playthrough where you don't even steal/resell stuff, but otherwise don't worth on the long term. From the bonus spells all have save to negate and believe me in ToB everything throws all saves. So the only good thing would be Chain Lightning, but does that worth -4 on your stats? Big no.
- shapeshifter: ridiculous statchange (in down direction of course), no regeneration eve in greater werewolf form, no spellcasting while transformed... What's this, a wannabe fighter? Pure fighter is better even.
- totemic druid: summon stuff. I estimate maximum Animal Summoning 3 equivalents. Waaay better then vanilla druid, but not worth losing dualclass on term of raw power.

Multiclass... Druids level from a certain point painfully slow, so forget it. We already saw how much Jaheira sucks with this.

Dualclass only avaiable from fighter. The restrictions of druid itself is painful, so don't worsen it by wizardslayer or kensai, ok?
Remains Berserker and vanilla Fighter. As berserker don't have a drowback (only the archer kit would really rely on ranged weapons in this game), there is no reason going vanilla.

When to dualclass?
This is easy. Although druids stop gaining stuff after lvl 25, but HLAs are cool, so let's turn to druid as soon as possible.
You start SoA at lvl 7 (but surly below lvl 10 even importing from TotSC), but don't change yet.
Lvl 10 fighter if you EXACTLY change at 500K exp can reach lvl 30 druid (maximum with ToB), bu how likely is that? So dual at 9.
Other reasons for dualing at 9: that's the last lvl you gain buffed HP as fighter, and you gain another proficiency point, what means you can have 5 point in one weapon and 2 in a weapon style.

Which weapon to learn?
Well, druid is kinda limited on weapons. Spear suck hard. Club? The best you could have is the Cub of Detonation what suck still. From daggers the only thing is Dagger of Star, from scimitars only Belm is to consider holding. This leaves you with quaterstaves.
On the ranged weapon field you can go darts or slings - the unlimited ammo sling can be found earlier, easier, and has better magic (+5).

Now shield, dualwield or twohanded weapons?
While there is a shield what rises your elemental resistance as it should, what weapon would you use along it? So skip this investing seriously as fighter yet.
Dualwield? Well, making everyone sleep with Dagger of Star hasened by Belm is a fun idea, but face it: in ToB basically everything sees the invisible as far as I care, AND it'd even require one more skillpoint then you have at lvl 9. Still worth to mention.
So go and invest in twohanded weapons for quaterstaff fights.

Stats are hard requirements for this setup (STR 15, WIS 17, CHA 17), but I managed to roll a character with this:
18/85, 18, 15, 5, 18, 16.
Reasons: from BG1 you'll have the Tomes of stats, so CHA will go up to 17 as needed. Illithids drain 5 INT, but we need a dump-stat, and with the Tome of... we'll have 6 INT as long as needed (plan to loose INT in the dream later on). Still will require caution, but hey!
CON affects the least, and this was a lucky roll anyway, so go with it.

Well, as there was no fighter/druid guide for Baldur's Gate I wrote these down here. Cheers!