Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #11
Cloudy
Game freak

Daggerfall is brilliant, despite the bugs.

Morrowind is one of my favourite games ever though. I've only finished it once, and I played as a pure fighter, so I'll need to play it again as a magic user cos I've never even touched that side of the game in 2 years of playing it! It's such a huge game, that you can play it for years and still have loads of things to still try out, loads of places still to explore (I don't think I even made it to half the places in Vvardenfell the first time, and I didn't see much of Solstheim or Mournhold either)

Oblivion looks awesome too, I've only played a little bit of it though cos my computer sux0rz (I used the Oldblivion mod, http://www.oldblivion.com/ ). Gonna wait until I get a new computer I think.
Cloudy is offline                         Send a private message to Cloudy
Old 02-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #12
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I would like to play a thief sometimes, or an assassin. I remember this guy told me he was an assassin, he carved someone's head with his short blade out on the streets in the town. When the guards came running towards him, he just held up the permit (!). It made him laugh hysterically for a couple of weeks... "Damn! He's allowed to do this."

It would be a challenge to play a character that wouldn't stand a chance against a nix-hound out in the open...
Old 02-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #13
Cloudy
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Nov 2 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]264955[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I would like to play a thief sometimes, or an assassin. I remember this guy told me he was an assassin, he carved someone's head with his short blade out on the streets in the town. When the guards came running towards him, he just held up the permit (!). It made him laugh hysterically for a couple of weeks... "Damn! He's allowed to do this."

It would be a challenge to play a character that wouldn't stand a chance against a nix-hound out in the open...
[/b]
Haha :bleh:

If theres one thing I hate about Morrowind, it's those Cliff Racers!!! Theyre EVERYWHERE! You walk for a bit, turn around, and 7 of them are chasing you. And they're so weak and annoying
Old 02-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #14
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cloudy @ Nov 2 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]264958[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
If theres one thing I hate about Morrowind, it's those Cliff Racers!!! Theyre EVERYWHERE! You walk for a bit, turn around, and 7 of them are chasing you. And they're so weak and annoying
[/b]
Ranged weapons, my friend... ranged weapons. If you stand far away enough, they will never know what keeps hitting them. Or a decent target spell BWAHAHAHA BURN you ugly cliff critter! BUUUURRRRN!
Old 02-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #15
Cloudy
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Nov 2 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]264961[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cloudy @ Nov 2 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]264958[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
Ranged weapons, my friend... ranged weapons. If you stand far away enough, they will never know what keeps hitting them. Or a decent target spell BWAHAHAHA BURN you ugly cliff critter! BUUUURRRRN!
[/b][/quote]

I didn't have ranged weapons or spells

But I could kill them in one hit with my big shiny sword
Old 02-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #16
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cloudy @ Nov 2 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]264963[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I didn't have ranged weapons or spells
[/b]
Even if you don't have ranged weapon as your primary or secondary skill, it's a good idea to train your RW skill and carry a bow of some sort. First, you can deal with those pests at a safe distance, and then you train your agility attribute. As for target spells: There's a large amount of fireball rings and whatnots around for you to use. Funny, btw: Even if you couldn't hit the Red Mountains at point blank range with your arrows, your ranged spells always hit...

EDIT: On Daggerfall: Get a Reflect Magic spell or aritfact ASAP. Also, absorbing the spell is a neat joker up your sleave. By having their dirty tricks returned to sender, I didn't find it very difficult in having them Big Baddies killing themselves or almost.

EDIT: On Morrowind: I don't know if this is a bug or not, but there's a way to make even the toughest opponent flee in terror. Needed: A means of invisibility. Hit the monster once and go invisible. Every monster so far (pretty tough ones, included a Golden Saint) panic when you dissappear from sight after you hit them. They will now not fight back if you attack them a second time. Then again, it is mentioned that killing an opponent who gives up, is dishonourable. So if you're a bold fighter, afraid of none, you wouldn't think about such a below the belt trick.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #17
Gottfried
Forum hobbit

i don't use alchemy in Morrowind as it is way imbalancing the game. I played thief Redguard with good sneaking/lockpick/pickpocket, good fighting skills and some magic - overall good character focused only on rogue stuff, good in all but not superhero in any ways... so i could make most challenges without being bored by its easyness
Gottfried is offline                         Send a private message to Gottfried
Old 02-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #18
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I always liked sneaking thief characters. Im currently playing Morrowind with a bard.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 02-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #19
Tervez
Never Compromise

I myself haven't played DaggerFall or Arena, but Morrowind and Oblivion, yes.

Morrowind is better in comparison. First of all, there isn't that stupid dificulty setting. You could beat Oblivion with a level 1 character without leveling up ever. It's kind of hard to imagine the Cyrodiil overrun by scamps.

Second, the spells. There were Levitation, Jump and many other useful spells. You could literally fly in the air and make those pesky bandits taste your fireball!

( On Cliff racers; when one of the NPC's in Oblivion sometimes starts to sing about them, I always kill them on the spot. Painfully.)
Tervez is offline                         Send a private message to Tervez
Old 02-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #20
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

Currently playing two Morrowind characters: A pure mage and a priest (custom class exactly like the NPC priest class). The mage class is severely underpowered and probably the hardest to play, but you can actually do more and take on more. It's a lot of fun, really.

Morrowind can indeed get somewhat boring in the end, that's why I tend to limit my character using the console. The same problem persists in Oblivion by the way, but exactly reversed. I have to keep my level at 5 maximum to prevent the game from becoming silly and sometimes radically hard (if you level the wrong way).

As for comparisons: I'd say Daggerfall is the best TES, but it's hard to compare really due to the radical difference in the TES games afterwards. Morrowind comes in second place, but is my personal favourite. The world is so deep you can drown in it. Arena comes in third, being one of the least annoying and most fun TES games. It's a bit of a diluted Daggerfall, and offers an easier and more accessible experience while still retaining it's size. Biggest downside is the lack of lore and world depth, even though the atmosphere makes up for that. Last comes Oblivion, which is still a very good game, but lacks severely in various fields without really making up for it with anything but graphics, voices and the combat system.