Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 15-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #131
Wicky
the little viking

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(howmanymegs @ Jan 12 2007, 01:36 AM) [snapback]274414[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
So tell me. Why did every Sierra and Origin game get infinitely better in sequels and whereas todays RPGs and adventures seem to be going backwards? Should I retire (after a very considerable gaming history) and get a shares portfolio to occupy my time? Anyone else feel the same or am I alone in my torment? - Planescape Torment, that is. Please reply!
[/b]

I have found the answer! It's the effect called "accoustic feedback"
You know what I mean - take a micro, place in front of speaker and speak loudly into it , so the voice will come out louder of the speaker than you spoke, gets recorded by the mic and outputed even louder, repeat until accoustic noise and crash boom bang, speaker dead - just feedback.

That's why you don't listen to players. They say "owwwwww, Planescape Torment has a video for every 8th level spell and higher! That's awesome!!!!!!!!!"
But in reality they enjoy the multiple walkthrough, intelligent conversations, innovative xp system that doesn't punish for dying and what do they think?

They think publishers, who notice "Ohhh, they liked our videos, let's make some even bigger videos, with better graphics" they think they are dumb! They produce now big stupid games with even less possibilities to walk through, even dumber conversation, and don't have any ideas for any more xp systems. Punish me!!

Or maybe, punish me not, but tell the game-producers to stop listening to muck. You know muck.. you eat apple, and crap muck. muck is the result. Publisher takes muck and thinks, people like muck! They produce more muck.
In some reasoning, it would be better to listen to producers, than to gamers who have "consumed" the produkt and give a feedback.

Those games, that receive a 95% score in PC gamer, don't tell any word about what is sooooo good about this game, instead tell all people in the world what the producers think while making this game!
If Cervat, producer of "Crysis" for example says "I have often eat apples while making Crysis" then other producers would not shuffle their hairs in desperation when sitting in front of PC asking "How the *meep* do I programm innovation?" they would rather say, ok I eat banana maybe I can write better game than Crysis!!

But today the producers have no more spirit. They have to answer themselves "how do I get lots of money by typing nonsense" when they should be thinking about bits and bytes! In the end, you don't know jack about writing a good game when you listen to what people say. You are left with producing another repeated game, graphics even better and crash boom bang, gamer's brain dead - just feedback.
Old 16-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #132
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

New games also don't take long to beat. Take for example Front Mission. I found the english translated version for SNES. It took me about a week straight to finish the game... Halo 3 on legendary, 7 hours. It's rediculous. Games just focus on good graphics and sound. Nobody focuses on length anymore. BTW I'm only 17, but I remember the good old games that took skill and time to beat. Games are also too easy now-a-days.
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 16-11-2007, 02:58 AM   #133
rlbell
Game freak

I think that the trouble is that games with intriguing play options that allow for multiple solutions to problems and make each solution feel different have been done to death and designers think we are ready for something new

Older games were improved by the inability of the designers to get sidetracked by the unimportant aspects of the game. In the absence of really good graphics, they had to make the games fun. Some modern game designers realize that a game should first be fun, then be eye-candy. Crimson Skies was loosely based on the boardgame (with possible RPG add-on) of the same name. It seems to be a 3D arcade shooter designed to accompany an interesting radio play that would make a good Republic serial.

Star Trek: StarFleet Command is based on a popular wargame (Star Fleet Battles) and gets the computer to handle all of the fiddly details that make SFB a mindnumbing bore to the non-afficianado, so that anyone can find it fun.

Stronghold seems to have squarely started with fun, and then added nice graphics.

Flat Out starts with racing cars on roads, and then improved it by modelling collission damage. The added feature of launching a ragdoll when the vehicle sustains a big enough hit to kill the driver (who obviously will never learn to buckle up) manages to add to the fun.

Modern games do not have to suck, they just need the right priorities.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 16-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #134
Morrin
Underground

I have to comment that - especially Flatout 2 - had lot of potential, wasted into drain however. Even for arcade racing it was too arcade (sliding cars), too much repeat (same tracks all again), spring assisted opponents (no matter how well you drive, they will catch you). Especially the last "feature" eats immersion from the game and makes you ask, is there any point to even try to drive well? You don't have spring assistant in your car however... unbelieveably stupid.

Someone said flatout games are the pride of finland... I wouldn't. I love arcade racing, but all in flatout games is wrong.
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 16-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #135
humorguy
Super Freak

We are at fault too - for not saying 5 hours gameplay for HL2 EP1 and 2 was ridiculous however great the first game was or indeed how good the 5 hours where. This was the start of it all in my book, because then came the Oblivion horse armour for £3, then came Fahrenheit with a dozen hours, and now we have HL2 EP2, we have Dreamfall The Longest Journey, we have COD4: Modern Warfare, we have Bioshock and so many more with sub 15 hours of gameplay for the same full retail price.

I now only buy certain modern games, a lot less in quantity than I did 10 years ago, and they are games with content. Games like Medieval II Total War and Kingdoms, games like Supreme Commander and STALKER, and games like Gothic 3. All these have 80+ of excellent content, not the 10-15 you get in less open world games. It's why I will not buy Crysis because it;s based on levels, but will buy Far Cry 2 as it's non linear with 250 sq km of open world gaming. I will buy STALKER: Clear Sky and Mass Effect (if it comes out on PC!) and I will buy Imperial Total War, all for the same reason.

If PC gamers were particular in what they purchased, we might change the market. Just buy games with content and not linear on the rail 12 hour games and the market will respond. Feel free to get the 10 hour games on ebay 3 months later for £10 - because that's what their worth!

And when there are no open world, non linear 100 hour games available, then get out your retro games, like Darklands, or The Longest Journey or Fallout 1 and 2 - y'know, one of 1,000's of games from the 80's and 90's that have dozens of hours of great gameplaying!!!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 13-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #136
I LOVE NEDDA H
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by howmanymegs View Post
So I find myself quitting another new game (Oblivion) and browsing Abandonia for this afternoon's entertainment.

New games just don't compare to old. Please, tell me if it's true or maybe I'M just getting old...... (I'm 28).

Supporting evidence.
I played every nook and cranny of all the eps for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 but I can't be bothered finishing HOMM 5.
I loved Civ 2 and its eps but I've only played about 3 games of Civ 4.
The Longest Journey was way better than Dreamfall.
Nothing has ever compared to Ultima 7.
Quest for Glory 5 was great - how many years ago was that now?
Baldur's Gate 2 was so huge I still haven't finished TOB. (And I'm not sure my computer can play it any more.)

Is it so wrong to want a decent, story filled, probably 2D rpg or linear adventure? How about a new Ultima using the Baldur's Gate 2 engine? Or a HOMM sequel with nice flat graphics instead of cringeworthy 3D characters? And a Dreamfall sequel without cheesy little "arcade" sequences?

So tell me. Why did every Sierra and Origin game get infinitely better in sequels and whereas todays RPGs and adventures seem to be going backwards? Should I retire (after a very considerable gaming history) and get a shares portfolio to occupy my time? Anyone else feel the same or am I alone in my torment? - Planescape Torment, that is. Please reply!
get shares portfolio if you can get a wall street journal without travelling everyday an hour for it......
im just here because i have no company and no money otherwise i wouldnt play games at all and im about your age....
even though my writing skills let room for different conclusions about my age...
but seriously i shares are allways a cool hobby, it really sucks full time but as a hobby its pretty cool and to origin sequals come on privateer 2 sucked so much compared to privateer 1 and what about wing commander, all ne titles were so cool in the first moment but if we think about the first one was the best of all time... by the way did already have those furball jokes???
I LOVE NEDDA H is offline                         Send a private message to I LOVE NEDDA H
Old 14-05-2008, 01:18 AM   #137
I LOVE NEDDA H
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral View Post
I think it's all getting old, while growing we loose the magic... Can u see it, the brain start to absort junks from tv, commercial sh1t and else junk of your era. I yoused 2 it, older games have some point's now games are more special effect's and zillion colour's
yes you are right thats said im getting old NEDA COME ON LETS GREW OLDER TOGEtHER I NEED YOU REALLY"""""""""""""""""""""" getting old is so sad lets get older together.....

by the way games now get really worse... and you know the difference between civ 2 and civ 4 is that programmers were lazy in civ 4 you could read the programm pretty well.... the game was totally straight forward and hat only a really slim illusion of freedom and in reality it all follows a special way and you can predict everything what it takes to beat the comp in that or that way the do and must dos not like in civ 2 were you can let the game develop and still beat the comp..
I LOVE NEDDA H is offline                         Send a private message to I LOVE NEDDA H
Old 14-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #138
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I'm really pissed off after yesterday's spree of necroposting. Continuing it is not a good idea.
Next time please check the date of last post in the topic you're replying to.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Closed Thread