Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Delete your stuff, that's not the way to work with a real CD.
The game searches files via mscdex call.
Create CD image and mount that as D: in D-Fend ( -> D-Fend manual)
Reinstall the game from D: on C:
Hey, sorry I'm not familiar with D-fend that well and am not sure of how to do what you're talking about. Could you explain it step by step for me?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #42

I put all of the files of the CD into Magic ISO and made a .ISO file out of it... not sure what to do next so I'd really appreciate some guidance on this, thanks!

Old 10-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #43
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

I'm not familiar with Dfend, but usually you mount the ISO as D: and your dosgames folder as C: -- then install the game as you normally would. Check in our Tutorials section. There's a lovely Dosbox step-by-step animation on www.Dosbox.com as well.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 10-11-2011, 05:27 AM   #44
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Hey, sorry I'm not familiar with D-fend that well and am not sure of how to do what you're talking about. Could you explain it step by step for me?
Without D-Fend you'd just use the IMGMOUNT command (it's explained in detail inside the DOSBox readme file).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #45

Thanks for the help, I'm going to try it in DosBox over the weekend (I really miss this game and had all but given up hope playing it til I saw this thread!). I'd prefer to use D-fend because I like as little code/text based interface as possible, so if anyone has steps on how to do this in d-fend I'd appreciate it!

Not sure how to mount the .ISO file so I can use it in d-fend and get access to its files. Ideally I won't get that "cdrom access failure mscdex not found" message after going through all of this, hopefully that's what this is doing.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #46
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
.... I have the CD-rom,I copied all of the files to my hard drive .....
Quote:
I put all of the files of the CD into Magic ISO and made a .ISO file out of it ... not sure what to do next so I'd really appreciate some guidance on this, thanks!
Nope.
You don't 'put' files into a CD image, you create a CD image from the CD itself.

It would amaze me that the CD image is valid the way you described how you created the image.
Only a few games will accept what you did.

A nice soft to create dosbox compat images is: http://www.imgburn.com/

And please, read the manuals, all you ask is already explained in them.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 12-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #47

Okay I downloaded the software and made an image file from the CD like you said which came out as a .bin file. Is there any way to play the game in D-fend reloaded or do I have to do it from Dosbox when using image files (i know nothing about it)?

Secondly, I realize that I'll likely still need to add the GOB info listed earlier in this thread to make it work, so I'm not sure how I can edit that conquer.ini file when it's part of an image file. Thoughts? (feel free to speak to me like I'm an idiot because I am when it comes to this).

Old 12-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #48
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Okay I downloaded the software and made an image file from the CD like you said which came out as a .bin file. Is there any way to play the game in D-fend reloaded or do I have to do it from Dosbox when using image files (i know nothing about it)?
The joke is that most of us here don't know how to do it in D-Fend because - grumpy old men we are - we can't stand the very idea of frontends. The original D-Fend might have had a hand in fostering that dislike after many users came to us with problems that "magically" vanished once they stopped using D-Fend.
Quote:
Secondly, I realize that I'll likely still need to add the GOB info listed earlier in this thread to make it work, so I'm not sure how I can edit that conquer.ini file when it's part of an image file. Thoughts? (feel free to speak to me like I'm an idiot because I am when it comes to this).
You don't. Consider the disc image to be the same thing as the actual game disc. Means you can't change its' contents. If you'll be editing any INI file, it will be one that has been installed from the image to the HDD.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #49
zaiyan
Default graphics

I can play the game, but im having trouble with the graphics...
The start of the game where it plays the short clip is is distorted and appears a but laggy, can someone guide me to what graphics settings i can place.

im using d-frend reloaded.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #50
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The clips have been recompressed to reduce their filesize. Unfortunately, we missed the fact that the game doesn't scale them to fit the screen.

-- Reed Richards