Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Recently prisons in Oregon have been allowing inmates to play Plug N' Play video games on their small TVs in their jail cells (Plug N' Play, are those controllers you plug in, that allow you to play all that NES goodness).

It doesn't come free, inmates earn this privelage from the pay they receive from doing jobs in prison (they do get alot of work) and they also need a clean disciplinary record, it takes 7 months to earn a tele, and about 18 to earn the gaming device.

Do you think they should allow the inmates to play with these devices? Or do you think they should be held back from enjoying the games?

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 21-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Well gameplaying involves a highly refined art, particularly that of the correct technique in button mashing. To think that lowly criminals in a jail are taking part in this, not to mention the history of games, from old consoles, is sickening to think of. :angry: If it was a bunch of silly new playstation and xbox games, the ones that sit on the shelves of EB games catching dust coz no-one wants to touch them, they might catch some sort of "lame" disease, then that'd be a different story. BRING BACK THE IRON MAIDEN!! :ranting:
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 21-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

At least it'll show them that working hard and behaving pays off. I don't mind it. In my eyes, it's a step to rehabillitation.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 21-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Yeah, I think it's a good idea. It's one of the only systems in the world that has non-cash incentives for good behavior (how much cash can you spend behind bars?). It's keep them occupied at any rate, if we get them hooked on video games, then they'll be too busy sitting at home munching on snacks and playing games to go out and commit more crimes.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 22-03-2006, 12:59 AM   #5
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

@ #BlakhOle#: The hilarity of your statement stems from the fact that most of these inmates are at least old enough that they COULD have enjoyed those games back in their hayday... unlike a certain someone... :whistle:

@ topic:
Why should they be denied to play these games? I certainly don't think that being guilty of a crime should be a reason for you not being allowed to have any fun in your life anymore. Of course it obviously depends on the crime itself, because there are also crimes where being guilty of commiting them should not allow you to actually HAVE a life to have fun in anymore to begin with...
But generally speaking: I see nothing wrong in that, and I don't see how anyone could. It's not like they get this stuff on taxpayers' expenses, so why not?
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 22-03-2006, 01:04 AM   #6
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This is ridiculous!

They should not have access to anything!

So now they are having fun in jails… Next they will be allowed to get married, have children and have full benefits if they have clean record for 2 years?

Those people are there for two reasons: To be away from social life, and to re-think why are they there.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 22-03-2006, 01:38 AM   #7
The Good Soldier Švejk
[BANNED]

Well, i think this should be differert if you done a heavy crime, like killing someone.

But if ya just stolen some car radios, it's ok i think. k:

If you would stuck me in a prison without TV and Games, my brain would be in a wedgetable status, in about a week.I would be braindead.Serius.Because i am game and TV adiccted.And i like it. LOL

And if then you let me out, i would be just standing there watching the sky..............................Forever.Wedgetabl e.Braindead.Never "Usable" again. :crazy:

Quote:
Original by Kon-Tiki:
At least it'll show them that working hard and behaving pays off. I don't mind it. In my eyes, it's a step to rehabillitation.
I agree.
The Good Soldier Švejk is offline                         Send a private message to The Good Soldier Švejk
Old 22-03-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

@ Anubis: Right, because it's not like there are countries where bad-mouthing your president might already get you into jail... just as an example.

Let's just close those criminals away for good, let them degenerate into animals by depriving them of any convenience or passtime... THAT will help them to re-integrate into society should they ever be free again, I'm sure... :angel:
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 22-03-2006, 04:34 AM   #9
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by The Good Soldier Švejk@Mar 22 2006, 02:38 AM
If you would stuck me in a prison without TV and Games, my brain would be in a wedgetable status, in about a week.I would be braindead.Serius.Because i am game and TV adiccted.And i like it. LOL

And if then you let me out, i would be just standing there watching the sky..............................Forever.Wedgetabl e.Braindead.Never "Usable" again. :crazy:
But thats exactly the POINT! And you cant compare them to you anyway, because they're NOT you. And you may as well LET them stand there watching the sky, at least they're not going round stealing others property, killing other people, poking paraplegics in the head then jumping out of their reach, etc. If they go to jail knowing all they have to to is a couple of months work, then theyll have the pleasure of TV and video games, then whats the point? They wont be risking much if they break the law. They can still have a good time in the jail. Its not much but it's something, and that's not something they deserve. :angry:
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 22-03-2006, 05:22 AM   #10
The Good Soldier Švejk
[BANNED]

Somehow........................................... .........................you're right man!!!

Completley Right!You Opened my eyes man, can't thank you Enougt!!!
The Good Soldier Švejk is offline                         Send a private message to The Good Soldier Švejk