Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-04-2005, 02:17 AM   #1
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

What is your favorite graphic novel or do you read them?? Mine are in order of favorites:

Case Closed http://www.caseclosed.com
Megaman: NT Warrior
Bone
Lupin(sometimes)
Cowboy bebop
Trigun
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury
Old 16-04-2005, 03:14 AM   #2
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

I love long works that have been illustrated. I once collected them. By graphic novel, I'm assuming you mean any novel that's been illustrated? If so, I can name names. The Silver Bird is a rare title that's illustrated in pencil. The story is a metaphysical one and the illustrations are huge (double-page spreads in some cases) detailed and dreamlike. The book is in A4 size. Dragonworld is only paper-back size and is also illustratustrated in B& W. Lots of dragons and heroics. My favourite is a hard cover copy of The Hobbit illustrated in colour by Michael Hague. The illustrations really help bring the story and characters to life. Another type of illustrated novel I have is Elf Quest. But that's more of a comic book for adults, I guess.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 16-04-2005, 03:29 AM   #3
a1s
Hero Gamer

I belive he means what culturaly ignorant people call "comics" (in addition to the things that actaly are comics- the "funnies", from last page of your daily paper)
my favorites are:
transmetropolitan
the sandman (I like the early issues more)
preacher (it's the one I "currently" read, for about the last 6 months, Im usualy more into books)
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 16-04-2005, 04:22 AM   #4
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

Optic Nerve (the best out there in my opinion... just short transcripts from peoples lives, usually lacks an actual plot but it's very well done)
Peepshow
Raw

and their ilk

TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 16-04-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
UnHoly
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by a1s@Apr 16 2005, 05:29 AM
I belive he means what culturaly ignorant people call "comics" (in addition to the things that actaly are comics- the "funnies", from last page of your daily paper)
I don't see any difference beetwen a comic book and a graphic novel, for me it's the same. I don't read them because in Poland they are very expensive, usually more than then books. But I love Asterix and Obelix and Donald Duck (I know it's for kids, but I still like it). WilQ it's also a great one, but it's set in Polish realites and it won't be released anywhere outside Poland.
UnHoly is offline                         Send a private message to UnHoly
Old 16-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I simply love Asterix and Lucky Luke... along with some other comics... but those are not Graphic Novels right :blink:
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 16-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Apr 16 2005, 10:13 AM
but those are not Graphic Novels right?* :blink:
there's a *very* blured line between comics and graphic novels. one can say for sure that garfield is a comic, and akira is a grapic novel, but it's hard to classify stuff like Duck tales or Spiderman.

ADDED: in my country only the kiddie comics (like the above mentioned Duck tales) are published, so I have to use pirated stuff, despite the immoral side of it, with whatever money I have, I just can't go halfway around the globe to buy GNs.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 16-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
Oberon

Ever heard from the Book Neuromancer (maybe the grandfather of all cyberpunk related books) the orginal book wasn't a graphic novel but years later some rare neuromancer comic books came out... maybe u find them on the internet 4 free dl.

those are my fav. graphic novels... i also like some game related graphic novels
the best of them imho is the Resident Evil graphic novel..
Oberon is offline                         Send a private message to Oberon
Old 16-04-2005, 12:10 PM   #9
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

I only actually possess three graphic novels, but I've read quite a few as I went throug a phase of borrowing piles of them from the library. The ones I possess I consider as true masterpieces though:

Superman: Red Son (which is a story of what it would have been like if Superman had crashlanded in Russia instead of America and had become a communist)
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Volume One (great)
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Volume Two (also great)
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 16-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #10
rainwife
Abandonia nerd

Margaret Hodges - Saint George and the Dragon (her retelling of Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene) - well, it comes first to my mind, maybe because my english thesis is on dragons :whistle:
rainwife is offline                         Send a private message to rainwife