Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccsohun View Post
How to play in multiplayer?
Takes too long to explain that try going to the Dosbox forums and looking up info on network setups. It involves setting up Dosbox and setting up a game over the internet.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 18-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #12
Doc525
Exclamation Savegames...?

I just tried to save my game.
DOSBOX responds:

ERROR: Whilst creating "_SAVE\SAVEGAME.000" :No such file or directory

Help please?

Old 18-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #13
red_avatar
Administrator

Ah, this is the wonderful thing called zip files :mad:. Zip files delete empty folders when you zip a game. Simply make a folder called _SAVE in the game folder. I'll quickly update the zip for this.

EDIT actually it can't be that unless you deleted the _SAVE folder. I just tried the game and the _SAVE is part of the zip and the game saves fine. Tell me, how did you mount the game?

Last edited by red_avatar; 18-01-2009 at 07:42 AM.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 18-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
Ah, this is the wonderful thing called zip files :mad:. Zip files delete empty folders when you zip a game. Simply make a folder called _SAVE in the game folder. I'll quickly update the zip for this.
no they don't! only if you view them in winzip. if you use free 7zip of other semi decent zipping program (winZIP itself, if you feel rich), you see the packed directories as well, you don't see directories only while it's still unpacked or when you use lame windows default zip manager

or maybe it also depends on where do you zip it? i'm using 7zip and can pack/ unpack empty dirs
Old 18-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
red_avatar
Administrator

I haven't actually tried this for the past 5+ years since I switched to RAR but since Abandonia uses zip files, it's one of the first zip files I compiled (using WinRAR) in years so I figured that ZIP still ditched empty folders but I may be wrong. In any case, he's getting a weird folder because it's basically saying that the folder does not exist when it IS in the archive.

Old 18-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #16
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Perhaps - just perhaps - the unpacker ignored the directory structure?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #17
Doc525

Well, I mounted it the usual way, the way the instructions on the game page here tell me. Everything else works fine. Lemme see if there is a _SAVE file...

Oh yeah, I am having some administrator privilege problems- my computer has a password, and when I try to modify it the usual way- anything in program files, etc... (I have this thing saved in Users) I tell it to go ahead, but it keeps asking me to try again. Might these two be related?
I'm using Vista.

Old 18-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
Doc525

Whoa...

The _SAVE is there, but a file called delme is in there- perhaps it needs to be deleted?

Old 18-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
red_avatar
Administrator

No, you simply don't have access to create the file I believe. You said so yourself . Vista probably doesn't give DOSBOX access to the _SAVE folder.

Try putting the game on your hard drive outside of the Users or Program Files section and run Dosbox as administrator.

The 'delme' file is there for the problem I mentioned above: ZIP files used to throw out empty folders so unless you had a single file in there, the _SAVE folder would have been thrown out of the ZIP file. Hey, this is a 12 year old game .

Old 18-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #20
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

if you don't have an option to run dosbox as admin, you can move stuff into your local "documents and settings" user folder and you will have all privileges. by the way, don't forget to check that all files and directories are not read-only, in properties