Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #61
Haarmensch

This game brings back great memories! It's the one game I got my father so hooked on, my mother at one time just turned off the electricity in the whole house to get him to come to bed!

Let's just say my social life took a turn to the worst when my mate introduced me to this game. The last mission to Washington was one tough cookie!

I've got PG3 lying around here somewhere. One of the games I kept when moving out of my parent's house about six years ago (probably for memory's sake I dunnow)

k:
Haarmensch is offline                         Send a private message to Haarmensch
Old 14-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #62
laiocfar
NOD Commander

hahaha what funny LOL

Yes the washigton last mission was really hard, u should make everything perfect just perfect and u need experienced paratroopers
Old 17-02-2006, 01:25 AM   #63
Khono

Ehhhh my air planes can't shoot sometimes! They have ammo, fuel... it's an enemy unit, basically everything's normal except that NONE of the will fire. Can anyone tell me what's wrong? It's really frustrating since this is such a great game!
Khono is offline                         Send a private message to Khono
Old 17-02-2006, 03:14 AM   #64
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Wacht out the weather, planes cant fire with rain and other conditions :bleh:
Old 17-02-2006, 05:31 PM   #65
Khono

Thx It's weire since there's no error message or anything, they just simply won't fire. There's even the little target graphic over the guy you're trying to kill Confusing.
Khono is offline                         Send a private message to Khono
Old 17-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #66
Yobor
Hero Gamer

This game sometimes is lacking in directions but once you know why things don't work, it is very easy to make excellent attacks.
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 18-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #67
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Khono@Feb 17 2006, 06:31 PM
Thx It's weire since there's no error message or anything, they just simply won't fire. There's even the little target graphic over the guy you're trying to kill Confusing.
also some units can't do that if the were already moved. like artilery. i think if oyu move them you might still get the "target", but you can't fire anymore, sicne they just moved.

You can turn off the weather if you like.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 19-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #68
Privateer

I've never gotten the 'target' with artillery after moving it. I think you're not supposed to get the 'target' ever when your unit cannot attack, but sometimes with planes it does appear, which is a bug, I think.

But, yes, there are definitely many subtle aspects to this game that might take a little while to figure out. It took me a long time to find some things out, and I have played Pacific General before.

I'll list a few here to hopefully save people some time.

1. Rain and falling snow both make air attacks impossible and drastically reduce visibility of planes. Overcast skies just reduce visibility.

2. Rough surface conditions, such as mud, make it very difficult for trucks to move. Units mounted on trucks will have reduced speeds and all units will burn fuel like crazy in bad weather. Supplying in muddy conditions is less efficient, and attacking through mud is very difficult.

3. Level bombers are very ineffective in destroying enemies, but they are still very useful. All units suppressed by a level bomber attack stay suppressed for the rest of the turn. So if you are about to go for a very hard fight trying to displace that heavily entrenched 10-strength Engineer unit, if you send in a level bomber and it suppresses 3, when your infantry finally attacks, that unit will fight as if it was a strength 7. Many level bombers, like Ju88A and HE177, have naval attack capability and are great for killing and suppressing enemy ships. Having at least 1 level bomber in your core is a good way to make sea battles in shore scenarios go your way, especially since the Allies often have a superior navy. Finally, level bombers destroy some of the unit's ammo when bombing. Coupled with high ground defence ability of later bombers like HE177, it can be a good way or cracking those annoying air defence units. Bomb it with a level until it has no ammo, then move in a swarm of Stukas and blow up the artillery all around, allowing your tanks and infantry to finally move in on other units, including that AD.

4. Bridge Engineers and Pionieres have equipment specifically geared for assaulting heavily fortified positions. They never get caught on a Rugged Defence and so are great units for kicking deeply entrenched units out of their 'happy place' . Once the unit has been forced to retreat, it's no longer entrenched and can be chased down with other units.

Old 19-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #69
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Nice tips privateer,
I should add something to them

Quote:
3. Level bombers are very ineffective in destroying enemies, but they are still very useful. All units suppressed by a level bomber attack stay suppressed for the rest of the turn. So if you are about to go for a very hard fight trying to displace that heavily entrenched 10-strength Engineer unit, if you send in a level bomber and it suppresses 3, when your infantry finally attacks, that unit will fight as if it was a strength 7. Many level bombers, like Ju88A and HE177, have naval attack capability and are great for killing and suppressing enemy ships. Having at least 1 level bomber in your core is a good way to make sea battles in shore scenarios go your way, especially since the Allies often have a superior navy. Finally, level bombers destroy some of the unit's ammo when bombing. Coupled with high ground defence ability of later bombers like HE177, it can be a good way or cracking those annoying air defence units. Bomb it with a level until it has no ammo, then move in a swarm of Stukas and blow up the artillery all around, allowing your tanks and infantry to finally move in on other units, including that AD.
You all must have looked that when level bombing units inside villages/towns/cities u lose some of your prestige. Well, by this last most of people only use level bomber to bomb units in trenchs, hills, forest, open or naval units. But the real use of lever bombers is to bomb cities and airfields even when unocuppied, whit two or more bomb runs you can disiable the airfields, making impossible to enemy aircraft to refuel or rearm there. The same counts to cities but u will need more bombs runs and sacrifice some of your prestige. I found that level bombers are very usefull to disrupt the enemy air forces by making unavaible some "beyond the lines" airfields forcing they to make a choise between retreat to fuel sure zones or fight risking the chance of be out of fuel cuz your aircraft slow they movements or beacause u taked the airport that is in the core of battle.

Quote:
4.Bridge Engineers and Pionieres have equipment specifically geared for assaulting heavily fortified positions. They never get caught on a Rugged Defence and so are great units for kicking deeply entrenched units out of their 'happy place' biggrin.gif. Once the unit has been forced to retreat, it's no longer entrenched and can be chased down with other units.
Yep, Engineers and Piponieres helps your tanks to avoid be killed by a rugged defence. I also wach that they got a lower penality by fight being over a river square. So they can open some beacheads in the middle of the enemy fortification taking him by suprise. Anyway, cuz the cost of movement to and from a river hex is the maximiun of the unit, the sames units forcing the beachhead should cover other units crossing by one turn minimiun so too heavy loses expected or a total failure. The only solution is make this type of assault on bridges.
Old 21-03-2006, 03:35 AM   #70
Privateer

Oh, I never realized you could disable airfields by bombing. I knew you could bomb cities into 'neutrality' which means they become no man's land and no longer have any flag. I've never used it though. To me it usually seems easier to take a city than to bomb it out.

Quote:
You all must have looked that when level bombing units inside villages/towns/cities u lose some of your prestige.
I know there's a 'loses X prestige' message when you level-bomb victory locations, but I think that refers to the enemy losing prestige because he couldn't stop you from bombing his cities. I've never noticed anything like that for non-victory cities though. I should probably look better and be careful what I'm bombing if it costs me prestige.