Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk
Default Abandonians unite: Doomdark is upon us!

Trouble is brewing in the lands of Midnight. The evil Witchking, Doomdark, who controls the north has begun his massive invasion of the south! To make things even worse, the Ice Crown, the center of all evil, grasps the hearts of Free and Fey with the Ice Fear, a cursed emotion of doom and fear that demoralizes even the bravest of men.

Four heroes have gathered at the Tower of the Moon, deep within the Forest of Shadows with one common goal: to end Doomdark's treachery once and for all! They are:
Luxor the Moonprince: A great leader whom possess the Ring of the Moon, a magical jewelry that makes him and men resist the Ice Fear; Morkin: The son Luxor, a half-Fey and half-Human warrior whom is naturally immune to the Ice Fear, whom plans on sneaking past Doomdark's forces and destroying the Ice Crown himself;
Corleth the Fey: A warlord of the Fey, whom is bent on uniting the armies of the Fey and Free against Doomdark;
Rorthron the Wise: a sage of great knowledge, who knows how to destroy the Ice Crown.

You will embark on a great journey as one of these heroes, recruiting lords and armies (even a magical beasts), exploring ruins and forests and, most-importantly, driving Doomdark's evil back to the cold north!

So, after seeing a picture made out of 8 colors and reading this overly-dramatic text, you might be asking yourself "wTf iS tHiS!?".
Well, basically, The Lords of Midnight is a 1984 adventure/war game for the ZX Spectrum (or the Speccy as people like to call it). It was actually the first game to feature a "3D" landscape that changed according to your position in the world. It featured 32000(we're talking about 1984 over here!) different views of this world and a grand tale of heroes, lords and armies.
This game has since been regarded as a highly influential and great title and has been ported to the humble PC as well!
Now, the reason we opened this topic is because TheChosen and I started playing it this dawn and we had our fair share of adventures, victories and failures in it. So, we decided to create a topic to introduce others to this game and where (hopefully) people would share their tales about their conquests and journeys through the lands of Midnight!

So, are you eager to start your adventure in Midnight? I hope you are, cause here are a ton of links to the game itself, maps, controls, etc.

The original ZX Spectrum version, complete with a ROM and a ton of extras such as maps and boxshots

The Commodore 64 port of the game

The faithful DOS port of the game, 100% like the Spectrum version, so you only need DOSBox

A Windows remake with improved graphics

Control scheme and explanation about the game mechanics

Who's Who, an index about all the recruitable characters in LoM

Maps of Midnight

Guidance from the Wise: hints, tips, magical places all-in-one

A full play-through of the Commodore 64 version. WARNING: THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

So, that's about all you'll ever need concerning Lords of Midnight. Go now brave adventurer, Midnight needs your cunning and strategical mind!

And don't forget to share your recolletion of your journeys with us, because that is the main reason this topic was made: to share tales.

He thinks again....
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

There was also in 1995 a DOS-remake of the game called Lords of Midnight III: The Citadel with calculated but pretty empty landscape of the game world. Ashamed, I must admit that I tried the game out but dropped it at the very beginning and never ever after tried to play it again, since it's neither a real RPG nor a real strategy game but a bizarre (in this case) mix of both and even many more game genres additionally yet. Somehow it didn't really appeal me eventhough otherwise I like fantasy, RPG and RTS with fantasy elements.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Pex
Game Wizzard

Lords of Midnight was heaps of fun when it came out. I remember playing it with three of my friends and each of us given control over one of the starting heroes. You were allowed to do anything you wanted with them and any hero you recruit would remain in your control. Of course, sooner or later such freedom would cause arguments, but it was still heaps of fun.

I played that Windows remake a few years ago. It seemed good but I never played it till the end.

I never played Doomdark's Revenge.

As for LoM3: The Citadel, I came across a rip version once and it wasn't playable.

If I give LoM a go, I'll make sure I share it here.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

the dos version would be a great addition to our website, this is a real classic