Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
bloodface

hey yesterday i found an old ibm sp/2 model 25 in my dad's garage and i've been trying to find games for this piece of art and i could'nt find any, someone suggested to look in The Crypt section but none of the games worked so i may be doing something wrong...if anyone has help please pm me :P
bloodface is offline                         Send a private message to bloodface
Old 08-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Moved to Favorite.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Does it have DOS installed? Which version? What are you doing with the files that you download?

Probably the best thing to do is format a floppy on the old machine. Put the game on the floppy, then play the game from the floppy.

While I have no idea the specs of this machine, here's a few that I played back when I only had a computer that sucked:

Star Control - A personal favorate. Fits on a floppy and even runs in CGA mode if needed.
Prince of Persia - Not sure if it'll work, but a defonate classic. If you can run this then the flood gates are open.
Metal Mutant - I think it only runs in CGA mode, but looks so good you'd hardly notice. A tough puzzler but alot of fun.
Death Sword - Two player head rolling action!
The Amazing Spiderman - It sucks so good. Hard to control and difficult, but endless hours of fun none-the-less. Unless this is a different version that I used it should have down to CGA support.

Does anyone have any RPGs to suggest? Don't the older Krynn games agree very well with old systems? What else? If Immortal works you're in for a real treat.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 09-05-2006, 02:16 AM   #4
bloodface

its says as follow:
The IBM Personal Computer Basic
Version C1.10 Copyright IBM Corp 1981
62940 Bytes Free
Ok

_

and at the bottom it says:

1LIST 2RUN 3LOAD 4SAVE 5CONT 6,"LPT1 7TRON 8TROFF 9 KEY 0SCREEN

it says that the version is 6.22 and i only have one game and its arkanoid and on that floppy their is a ms-dos application, a .dat application (probably the saves) , a autoexec.bat file and a arkanoid.src (says thats it is a screensaver) and all i do is extract the game onto a floppy disk and nothing happend LOL i want more games LOL!!! thx for the help tho
bloodface is offline                         Send a private message to bloodface
Old 09-05-2006, 05:35 AM   #5
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

what kind of graphics card does it have? Does it have Hercules graphics card? If so GP Clycles should work. And Prince of Persia 1. but you have to run it as CGA.
Or does it maybe have one of those "half graphics" card that can't actually do any graphics but only text that looks liek graphic. if so you can probably find some old pong to play.

what does it not work? you just wrote it doesn't work. what does it do? what does it say? is it just blank screen? how many Mhz the processor has? and what about RAM? does it have 640k?

And how the F does this thread belong into favourite oldies and newbies????? :blink:
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodface@May 9 2006, 03:16 AM
its says as follow:
The IBM Personal Computer Basic
Version C1.10 Copyright IBM Corp 1981
62940 Bytes Free
Ok

_

and at the bottom it says:

1LIST 2RUN 3LOAD 4SAVE 5CONT 6,"LPT1 7TRON 8TROFF 9 KEY 0SCREEN

it says that the version is 6.22 and i only have one game and its arkanoid and on that floppy their is a ms-dos application, a .dat application (probably the saves) , a autoexec.bat file and a arkanoid.src (says thats it is a screensaver) and all i do is extract the game onto a floppy disk and nothing happend LOL i want more games LOL!!! thx for the help tho
64KB memory? I have never worked on a PC with that few memory.

Is it me or it doesn't even have DOS installed? Well, of course it doesn't have it installed, but you could use a floppy disk to run it, though I don't remember how any more.
The commands you mentioned sound very familiar though...
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 09-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Everything looks in order. I think I see the problem. You've never used DOS before have you?

For your arkanoid game you'll want to put the disk in the drive and turn the computer on, or off and on, or hit crtl-alt-del, either way.

If you have never used DOS before just let us know. I may be up for typing up a DOS primer to help you out, but I'm not going to do it if you do know DOS.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 10-05-2006, 05:18 AM   #8
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

He uses dos 6.22? :blink: somehow it looks different on my computer...

how do you get those lines at the bottom then? they somehow remind me of old notron commander, but are definatelly not it.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 10-05-2006, 05:21 AM   #9
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I doubt the machine uses dos 6.2

Does the pc have a hard drive or just floppy disk drive?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 10-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
bloodface

found the problem and most of the games i have worlks on this bieutifu machine...the problem was that the ps/2 only supports double-sided mfd-2dd foppys LOL i tried to install some games on a normal floppy and it could't detect it and when i usted a mdf-2dd floppy it worked! thanks for the help guy!