Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
BillyH666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Getting rid of the CDROM would do it, because MSCDEX is also part of it. CD drivers used to take a lot of memory, but that was hardly an issue, because by that time all CD games used protected mode (no conventional memory requirement). This is a rare case, a game with a very high requirement (even compared to other real mode games--Arena was very advanced technically at its time), but with a CD version released later. It may be possible to have CD support in DOS and enough memory left, but it looks very difficult to me.

The two easy solutions are no CD or DOSBox of course. You can probably play many games in DOSBox in a Pentium III, but a 3D game such as Arena is a stretch. Besides playing the floppy version, you could also look for a pirate noCD patch...
I take it you can't give me a link even if the game is free . Oh well, at least I'll be able to play the darned thing now, maybe some other games too, thanks everyone for the help!
BillyH666 is offline                         Send a private message to BillyH666