Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-01-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

I own a Trident Cyberblade i1 video card on my laptopn the I recently got a driver that makes my screen only in 1024x768 resolution if if lvl down the resolution here is the result

I have another driver where even if i change the res the quality will bw good BUT ill have balck background. The problem is like this: the only res with the second driver that fulls the screen is 1024x768. But when I play games in lower res i play in little windows with a balck background just because 680x480 cant full up the monitor. :blink: And so I must choose between:
1Good res but games in small windows
2Bad res if its not 1024x768 but full screening.

So isnt there anyway to combine them? :help:
Old 18-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

Im sure that u cant get the idea of this image...
Old 18-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Tuttle
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tuttle

No, that's how LCDs work (for both laptops and PCs) -- a 1024x768 LCD is 1024x768 no matter what you do with it. There are two ways for an LCD to handle a lower resolution:
  • Display the smaller picture accurately in the centre of the screen with a black border.
  • Interpolate the small picture to the full screen by duplicating rows and columns. This would look good if the picture was 512x384, but any standard PC resolution looks weird because there's only room to duplicate some rows and columns.
Personally I prefer the first option, but there should always be a stretch option in the laptop's BIOS or control software to change it.
Tuttle is offline                         Send a private message to Tuttle
Old 18-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

Yes but the strech will be wit h BIG pixels?
Old 18-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Jeez, Trident is still in business? Next you'll tell me Hercules still is... LOL
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 18-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
xoopx
Hero Gamer

i dont know what cpu your laptop has, but certainly for less demanding dosbox games, in d-fend 'general' menu for the game. use windowed mode, ddraw render mode and hardware scaling (it will depend on what game, the amount of hardware scaling, and if that card can even do it)

lcd screens are pretty much designed to display one res and one res only.. anything else will just look wrong.

xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 19-01-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
Tuttle
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tuttle

Quote:
Originally posted by yamcha565656+Jan 19 2005, 07:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yamcha565656 @ Jan 19 2005, 07:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Yes but the strech will be wit h BIG pixels?[/b]
Not quite; the pixels on an LCD are always the same size and in the same place. It just copies rows and columns to fill in the gaps, so it looks big in some spots and not others. See the attachment -- that's your screenshot stretched to 1024x768 the same way an LCD will do it (ignore the JPEG artifacts).

<!--QuoteBegin-MasterGrazzt
@Jan 19 2005, 08:15 AM
Jeez, Trident is still in business? Next you'll tell me Hercules still is...* LOL [/quote]
Yup, except they're now a subsidiary of Guillemot. They make decent stuff. www.hercules.com
Tuttle is offline                         Send a private message to Tuttle