Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-01-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review

Last edited by Luchsen; 23-01-2008 at 03:45 PM.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 07-01-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
mikebarry
Game freak

Thumbs down

UPDATE: I just called the 1-800 number listed on their site, and someone answered and said they're still in business!!! Uh-oh...

The MacNeills still claim rights to this game
and are selling it through their website.

http://www.softwarefarm.com

...but, as I've posted earlier, I'm not sure if they're still selling the game or not. It says they are, but it also says copyright 2000, so it's tough to say.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw that out there, as I know how much you all don't want protected games on this site
mikebarry is offline                         Send a private message to mikebarry
Old 07-01-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Thanks, Mikebarry, for bringing this to our attention. It has been decided to remove the download link for the game and substitute with a 'buy now' link.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 08-01-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
edlglide
Abandonia nerd

Even though I love Gold Rush, that website is ridiculous. Who in their right mind would pay 35 bucks for a game that came out 15 years ago? You can get brand new games for a cheaper price. That's just ludicrous.

EDIT: Okay, I see that's the price for the Collector's Edition that comes in a wooden box. But the "low-cost mailer" price is still $19.95, and I think that's a bit silly too.
edlglide is offline                         Send a private message to edlglide
Old 08-01-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
Wael
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by edlglide@Jan 8 2005, 12:35 AM
Who in their right mind would pay 35 bucks for a game that came out 15 years ago?
Collectors,
no other /-
Wael is offline                         Send a private message to Wael
Old 08-01-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
mikebarry
Game freak

$19.95 IS ridiculous, indeed...but it is somewhat amazing that they're still offering the game WITH all of those cool original manuals/maps etc. that came with the original! Too expensive? Yes. But perhaps not for the collector...

I still have my California Gold: Story of the Rush to Riches book on my bookshelf...
mikebarry is offline                         Send a private message to mikebarry
Old 08-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #7
goblins
Game Wizzard

it is seirra after all LOL - which means maximum charge for 30 year old titles LOL.

You wont find that on ebay - still from a proper perspective the buy link might at least encourage users via this website to perhaps email them and encourage them to drop the price to $3 a copy LOL
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 08-01-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
mikebarry
Game freak

Actually, it's not Sierra...it's 'The SoftWare Farm' (Ken and Doug MacNeill).
Old 08-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #9
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

It was originally done by Sierra but I think the company you mentioned are now distributing it along with a slightly different name and improved graphics.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #10
Frans

The last of the AGI (adventure gaming interpreter: see SQ1, SQ2, KQ1, KQ2, KQ3, LSL1) games. An excellent game but very hard to finish. This will keep you hooked for quite some time, so make sure you've got enough free time before you start playing.

Quote:
Game play is the same as all of Sierra's adventure games of the time. Examples include Space Quest, The Colonel's Bequest, and Quest for Glory.
Actually, Quest for Glory is one generation further. Made by Sierra's SCI (Sierra Creative Interpreter) which was an update on AGI (better parser, graphics, sounds, etc).