Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Introductions, Farewells and Returns
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-09-2009, 02:41 AM   #11
vctrsknt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post

I'll wager that ye tell us the Tale of Vctrsknt's Missing Vowels against your correct betting upon which side my moustache was being twiddled as I contemplated what wager we could place.
If ye guess correctly, then the The Tale shall forever remain shrouded in the Mists of Inscrutability.

That be a fair wager, I wot.

[/i] [/i]
I would not agree upon the fairness of your proposal as you could simply lie about what side of your moustache you were twiddling, and for that matter, there is no guarantee that you even have a moustache. Though, I will humor you.

If you are right handed, i recon that you were twiddling the right side of your supposed moustache, if you are left handed, you were twiddling the left side of your, ahem, moustache.

When I find I game that I want to review, should I just go ahead and post in this thread or is it some other thread where I should announce it?

Please bear with me, I am new to the abandonia forums after all.
vctrsknt is offline                         Send a private message to vctrsknt
Old 04-09-2009, 02:45 AM   #12
vctrsknt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctrsknt View Post
When I find I game that I want to review, should I just go ahead and post in this thread or is it some other thread where I should announce it?

Please bear with me, I am new to the abandonia forums after all.
Forget that question, it seems like I did not read everything in your earlier posting...
Old 04-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #13
Saccade
[BANNED]

Ah - some canny deduction, indeed...

As to the submission process for reviews, I admit to being somewhat confused myself at times.
A thread in Offers, with your completed review (and other submissions, such as game archives, screenshots, artwork, etc...) - just a notification that it is ready, not the copy-paste review - is a good way to let people know that you've completed something and it's ready to go.

Stick around and someone will contact you with details on how to upload your precious goodies to Abandonia.

Nice one, matey.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 04-09-2009, 05:26 AM   #14
Acethor
HECU Marine

Hi there Mr. Victor Skant... welcome to the forums and enjoy your stay!! :thumbs:

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 04-09-2009, 05:32 AM   #15
vctrsknt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
A thread in Offers, with your completed review (and other submissions, such as game archives, screenshots, artwork, etc...) - just a notification that it is ready, not the copy-paste review - is a good way to let people know that you've completed something and it's ready to go.
Oh shit, too bad that I run Linux and don't have photoshop so I can do a nice layout and everything. But I guess that the editors of AT can help me out with that?

Quote:
Stick around and someone will contact you with details on how to upload your precious goodies to Abandonia.
Will do old bean.

Oh, speaking of which, in all my haste i posted a review/essay on Ultima VIII - Pagan here. Please check it out if you find the time for it. You can view it as a "tech demo" of sorts.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:34 AM   #16
vctrsknt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acethor View Post
Hi there Mr. Victor Skant... welcome to the forums and enjoy your stay!! :thumbs:
Thank you, and, you are dangerously close to cracking the mystery of the missing vowels.

...A bit too close perhaps
Old 04-09-2009, 07:23 AM   #17
Saccade
[BANNED]

Hmm - I see a bit of a muddle forming here.*

This confuses the hell outta me at the best of times. The easiest way to learn your way around the forums is to employ a delicate mix of trial and error, asking the right questions at the right time and asking to the right people in the right place.
That and reading a lot...
The sticky-posts in the forums are pretty helpful in explaining what the function of each really is under all that make-up and mirkins.

It's probably worthwhile to note that the Abandoned Times magazine is separate from the Games Review stuff, even though game reviews comprise part of the magazine.
(does that make sense..?)

Posting a full length article / review in the magazine section is great - your Ultima article is in the right place and I'll take a butcher's at it later if you'd like - I think Arete mentioned earlier that she would take a look.
Reviews for games, to go onto the site for download, go through a different process. It gets handed to the Updaters (after being checked over a few times and translated if needs be) who will set out the game's page as you can see here:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/103/Blood.html

All you need supply, unless you are submitting the game files as well, is the review (inc. any additional information, found at the bottom of the review) the screenshots and any cover art, manuals, etc... that count as 'extras'.

The screenshots you take while playing the game (a guide of game review, er, guidelines is around somewhere...) are captured using, most often, Dosbox's built in screen-grab.
The Dosbox Tutorial is good if you haven't used it much before.
I think there's even a build for Red Hat... Nope it's a Gentoo port.

*Simply put, the way in which I try to do things (but my organisation's a bit messy...) is:

Things for the magazine ==> Magazine Forum, full article posted.
Everything else ==> goes into my offers thread, as you can see: probably not the best example...

Having a look through the other offers threads and reading the submission guidelines will give you a better idea of how to structure stuff to make the updater's lives easier.

The place may seem like a scribble-maze or something to start, but sticking to it - picking things up as you go along / busking it - means that eventually things drop into place.

Best thing to do is just take it easy and have fun doing whatever it is you're doing.

L8rz matey.

Last edited by Saccade; 04-09-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: link changed
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade