Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Dragom
Game freak

Default What if...

What if?

Well, I am NOT the recommended person to talk about music. My relation to music is just one way, and even so, not always: the way into my ears, when I am up to listen...

But, I keep trying to collect games, and btw, some come across carrying in their boxes tapes, CDs with soundtracks, CDs about bands (some of their music mixed with games), games about music ( educational type), etc...

So, I decided to ask:
What if I started a list of games that came or where complemented with soundtracks?
That list could be updated by me, or someone else more apropriated, after the information received, but supposedly to not get mixed up with other messages... I guess one can always edit his own message, right?
This list would only report the names of games with playable soundtracks CDs (or, at least 1 soundtrack playable by a music player), and a short reference (to that track/disc, etc...) - all the rest could be subject of comments on the general Music thread, or on any other game discussion thread

(e.g.):
Treasure Quest: The Chalenge - 1 soundtrack CD
Tex Murphy Overseer - 1 soundtrack CD
Atlantis II - 2 CDs with soundtracks and more from the game's musical composer
Bermuda Syndrome - 1 soundtrack CD
Puppet Motel - 1 soundtrack CD
Quest for Glory Collection Series - 1 soundtrack CD (plus the making of...)
Silver - 1 soundtrack CD
Omikron: The Nomad Soul (David Bowie's sountrack)
etc...

In fact, another list in this "specialized", or let's say "thematic" sector, could be considered (or, should it go into the previous one?), which would be about games directly related to music, musical artists, etc like:
Devo presents: The Adventures of the Smart Patrol (1996)
The Residents (three games: 1992-1996)
The Music in Me (1995)
Opera Fatal (1996)
Junkland Jam (1998)
Rolling Stones Vodoo Lounge CD-ROM (1995)
etc...

Well, this was just an idea...

Last edited by Dragom; 15-11-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: grammar...
Dragom is offline                         Send a private message to Dragom
Old 15-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

And what about game whose soundtrack got it's own cd or that has taken an existing CD and turned it into it's soundtrack? I can think of Full Throttle and the "Bone to pick" album from The Gone Jackals
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 16-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
Dragom
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Quia View Post
And what about game whose soundtrack got it's own cd or that has taken an existing CD and turned it into it's soundtrack? I can think of Full Throttle and the "Bone to pick" album from The Gone Jackals
Well, I guess those would be included on the first or general list, of course.
You just contributed to the list, I guess - I will need to gather more info about something I never heard before... or... do you have those CDs?
(It seems not too different from the example of Atlantis II... 2 CDs made AFTER the game...from the same composer... - Pierre Estève, Shooting Star Productions)
Old 16-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

I don't think you can find them easy. Surely there's a way that can't be commented here, but that would be wrong...

yeah. And the only song I really like from that CD is the one from the intro of the game, Legacy.
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 16-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Dragom are you a member of our LasFM group? Because if not you should check it out, we're doing something slightly similar over there

http://www.last.fm/group/Abandonia.com
Old 16-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Dragom
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane View Post
Dragom are you a member of our LasFM group? Because if not you should check it out, we're doing something slightly similar over there

No, I am not a member of LastFM, I never heard of this group before... (sorry).
I just browsed through it, after your note. Sincerely - may be I browsed too fast - I saw no signal of any kind of list relating a game with the music in any of the several forms it may happen, which I roughy mentioned on my first note.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but what I saw in my fast tour through the site gave an idea of a site for music lovers, who very probably like games (otherwise why the Abandonia connection?) and like to discuss/comment their experiences about topics related to those two hobbies/preferences...
Well, if my impression is not too wrong, then I dont think I am doing anything similar...but, let's see, just in case I wasn't clear enough:

A List, just a simple list - is what I think might be useful for collectors, but not just for them... hopefully.
From there, further developments might eventually start from it - that will depend of people who connect with both things: game and music... but that, will be another story, a story which is yet to be written...

Please, let me try to explain better: what I mean is that "I bet" on the potential interest over a "reference" doc, which anyone could use for hints about a given game "features" related to music, search why a certain game is there (or should be), without going any deep into specifics. Just to let people get an idea of what was done in the area of games (which games), related to music (which music), as well as what was done in the area of music, related to games... all in just one list...
Call it what you want - I called it the List, as I might have picked another (probably more interesting and appealing) name...
The main point - again, but promising not getting anyone killed with boredom - is to get "something" other than disperse comments about this or that game this or that music or musician which otherwise just a very few would be able to retrieve a few weeks later...
An updated list (updated by just one person, or a very short team) in a regular basis, with inputs from anybody, would probably do it... just that...
Thank you for letting me know the site!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Dragom
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane View Post

Hi,
some time went by, since your last note. The list is up since a few weeks, and growing slowly... even so you may have a better idea now, of what I meant.
I looked again at LastFM, and once again I was not able find anything alike.
But what matters is this: no need to duplicate anything - whatever exists there, can use at will what is in the attached file (Games & Music List). Once that is done, this threads can be canceled, or redirecting to the list at LastFM...
IMHO it is irrelevant who did or where is it, but it might be relevant to have one of those relations/lists between games and music...