Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #31
Osk

the imbalance in HoMM 2 was in the difference between ranged, flying and melee strength
with 3 ranged units (elf archer, druid, mage, titan) and 2 flying (faerie, roc phoenix), you were pretty much unbeatable
Also, spells were way more powefull in 2, dont know 1

Old 28-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #32
SirPeter
Abandonia nerd

Well done abandonia!
Great adition.

Does this mean that HoMM2 is abandoned also?
SirPeter is offline                         Send a private message to SirPeter
Old 29-03-2006, 03:56 AM   #33
songnar
Forum hobbit

LOL, If HoMM2 still exists anywhere!! But, I digress, part two was GREEEAT as soon as "the price of loyalty" expansion came out. mmmmmm, opera.
Old 29-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #34
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by songnar@Mar 29 2006, 03:56 AM
LOL, If HoMM2 still exists anywhere!! But, I digress, part two was GREEEAT as soon as "the price of loyalty" expansion came out. mmmmmm, opera.
it exists safelly stashed in my closet along with HOMM1.

i don't think it is abandonware. i never saw they are giving it away for free.

and it has great music. relax...kind of good if you study... k:
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 29-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #35
cyzian

Great game, nice work.
But, is it possible to play it online with others players or is it too outdated? (I'm on dsl)

Old 29-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #36
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

it should be possible to play it in a network.

i am not sure about tcp/ip protocol, but i think it might support it.
Old 30-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #37
Uncle

So, I loaded the ISO into DeamonTools, but when I click on the newly-created drive F:\, I get an Insert Disk dialog. Do I need to turn on specific options before it will load properly? The DaemonTools help isn't helpful.

Thanks!

Old 31-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #38
NightOwwl

I love this game but I am totally lame!

I am ashamed to say I can't even win the first map. :crazy: Every time I try to beat a hero he runs away, then when I attack him again (usually the very next move) all his troops have multiplied like crazy. What gives? My hero doesn't have the capability to instantly increase his/her number of troops.

I even have the game set to easy and opponents set to dumb mode. Does anyone have any tips? Am I trying to win too fast? Is it better to stay in your castle and build up troops until they are in the hundreds?

Aaargh! I am pulling my hair out.

NightOwwl is offline                         Send a private message to NightOwwl
Old 31-03-2006, 05:41 AM   #39
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

he can't do it either. i mean instantly boost them up. so a few tips/hints:

1. you proably noticed that only when the new week starts you can buy new troops. well so does the computer. This is important information, because if you take his caste at the last day of the week you will have fresh units next turn to refill you army. and same goes for destroying him. if you destroy him in let's say midlle of week and he then returns (runs away) to the castle he might now have any armies at his dispousal).

2. use more heroes. the week ones are for exploring or can also be used as carriers. what do i mean by that? well your herro will attack the opponent and he will escape from battle to get new armies in his castle. the carrier will take the units to your battling hero and he may continue pursuit. that way you will have the armies available for battling annother battle. make sure they are all from same kind. let's say all come from the knight's castle. that way your morale will be higher. if you defeat the her while he is in the castle he cannot run from you. and he will "dissapear" and might even reapear later at your recruiting list. it is a bit annoying when computer does that. but you can do it too. just remember to buy the herro immediatelly after you do that.

3. use multiple heroes to defeat the stronger opponent. use a few weak heroes and try to inflict as much damage to opponent as possible. sacrifice your units to lower his army. and i know this is a bit hard in HOMM1 but still try to get the best spells "out of him". make him use them. then just before your armies run out, run away with the hero. and then do the same with the next one. repeat this untill he is exhausted enough to be taken over by the strongest hero. who will easilly crush him and he might not even have a chance to escape. also your strongest hero will gain the opponents possesion.

4. the one with the fastest unit starts first. so make sure you are the one with the fastest unit. that way even if your hero sucks you can do to him damage by using magic and using one strike with the fastest unit.

5. if you corner them (to a mountain or some dead end path) they can not run from you (ie. same as if they were in castle). use that to your advantage when taking them out.

6. i know the running away is annoying (especially since they dont' get their mana exhausted in a fight in HOMM1). however if you corner them they can not run and that is how you destroy them.

7. try to get as many mines as possible and as many castels as possible. use weak and fast heroes (heroes with fast units move further) to take over enemies mines. then use marketplace to sell stuff if you need more gold to raise larger army.

that's all i can remember for now. time to go back to work. :Titan:
Old 01-04-2006, 04:41 AM   #40
NightOwwl

Thanks for the tips gregor.

It never even occurred to me to use the days of the week as a strategic manuever. And I never thought about cornering the heroes, either.

I'm still wondering about my timing, though. I think I may be waiting to long to attack. How many weeks (in general) would you wait before you started attacking castles?
NightOwwl is offline                         Send a private message to NightOwwl